911 on internet relay

operatorally

Reaction score
Hi there, today I had to break protocol to make an emergency call for someone who wanted to dial 911 on internet relay and I thought I'd share a trick with everyone; if you want to dial for emergency on internet relay, we cannot do this because it doesnt connect us with your county's emergency services- your location is entirely unknown.
What you need to do is say, "dial 411 ask for police or hospital emergency line [whichever one you need] for [the county/city], then dial that number for me" Then we have permission to connect you.
Today I had a call from someone looking for 911, we're supposed to tell them to hang up and use a tty but all they had was a sidekick so i asked them where they lived and then called the police in the county and was able to help them get emergency assistance. Then of course, a manager disciplined me for this; frankly i was just glad to have helped the caller, but I thought you guys should know that you need to give those instructions in case you should run into a similar situation where you're away from a tty but need to call for emergency help.

cool beens I'm glad the person got the help that neaded. I hope you did not get in to much trouble for hellping them tho people ned operators like you.

That was nice of you helping the deaf where help is in need.

There is TTYCall.com that the deaf can use on their Sidekick/Hiptop at no charge. I have not personally tried TTYCall.

Thats a good reminder that we cant call 911 via ip/IM relay, Its something you don't think about untill you need it and you try it.

You should find the non-911 emergency number before you need it and then you can skip the step of asking the operator for 411.

Well, in that case, use TTYCall.com and contact the Operator Services for the Deaf (OSD) for the local non-emergency numbers. OSD is a a free directory assistance for the hearing-impaired/deaf.

The toll-free number for OSD is: 1 (800) 855-1155 (TTY/TDD/TTD/TT).

Back