?

:hmm: Since public "hearing" schools have to make accommodations for Deaf/HoH students who request interpreters, shouldn't public "deaf" schools have to make accommodations for Deaf/HoH students who request voicing?

:hmm: Since public "hearing" schools have to make accommodations for Deaf/HoH students who request interpreters, shouldn't public "deaf" schools have to make accommodations for Deaf/HoH students who request voicing?

Well said! I agree with the idea of equality in the classroom but I also think that if the resources exist to cater to a student individual needs, it should happen. If it comes down to it being an issue in the classroom then the school should find a time when there can be a one-on-one study time for the child. Its not fair to keep spoken language from a child who wants/needs it to further their learning just as it isnt fair to keep ASL from a deaf/hoh kid who wants/needs it.

I guess the answer to that would be to hire a voice interpreter.

The short answer for me would be "yes." To elaborate a bit, if it is a deaf school, and the child needs voice, simply use a terp the same way one would be used if it were a hearing school and the child needed sign.

The short answer for me would be "yes." To elaborate a bit, if it is a deaf school, and the child needs voice, simply use a terp the same way one would be used if it were a hearing school and the child needed sign.

So simple! :)

Ok then the question should be raised...

If an older hearing child who just moved from another country who doesnt speak English and is placed in a public school. Does that child have the right to have his/her first language (let's say Spanish) be used in the classroom to help with learning vocabulary?

Does that child have the right to have his/her first language (let's say Spanish) be used in the classroom to help with learning vocabulary?
That is what ESL classes are for!

That is what ESL classes are for!

So maybe the deaf school should provide a class or one on one instruction using spoken English to help the student. I am just not comfortable with the idea of Sim-Comming as a whole class lecture because it is linguistically confusing to the other students or if the teachers have no speech skills.

Ok then the question should be raised...

If an older hearing child who just moved from another country who doesnt speak English and is placed in a public school. Does that child have the right to have his/her first language (let's say Spanish) be used in the classroom to help with learning vocabulary?
Moving from another country isn't a disability, so the child wouldn't be covered by disability laws.

So maybe the deaf school should provide a class or one on one instruction using spoken English to help the student. I am just not comfortable with the idea of Sim-Comming as a whole class lecture because it is linguistically confusing to the other students or if the teachers have no speech skills.
What if the child uses an FM system where an interpreter voices to him only (no SimCom involved)? Would that work?

What if the child uses an FM system where an interpreter voices to him only (no SimCom involved)? Would that work?

I guess that could work.

Moving from another country isn't a disability, so the child wouldn't be covered by disability laws.

So, it all depends on one's view on deafness as a disability. Maybe that is the issue at the OP's school.

So, it all depends on one's view on deafness as a disability. Maybe that is the issue at the OP's school.
If one wants to get services that are disability based, such as ADA, IEPs, special ed, and various public laws, then yes.

Back