'80's Fantasy movies fans

JMackay

Reaction score
Does anyone remember any of these films?

The Last Unicorn (animated, based off the Peter S. Beagle novel), 1982

The Neverending Story (Noah Hathaway and Barrett Oliver, based off the novel by Michael Ende, a German guy, translated in English), 1984

The Labyrinth-Jennifer Connelly & David Bowie, various Jim Henson creatures, 1986

The Dark Crystal (more Jim Henson creatures), 1982

Legend (Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, & Tim Curry), 1985

The Dragonslayer (no CGI!)-1981

Red Sonja, 1985

Conan the Barbarian (I liked this one better, the sequel freaked me out a little; I saw this when I was 8 years old with my older sister!), 1982

Conan the Destroyer, 1984

The Beastmaster (Marc Singer), 1982

OK, there's also the infamous He-man movie, too, from 1987... ;)

Feel free to add any other titles I might have overlooked from the era...

I still miss Jim Henson. :(

The best 80s movies I seen was The Terminator and Aliens...I know they arent exactly fantasy but still...they are awesome.

The Neverending Story and Red Sonja...ah yes. I practically grew up watching those movies. :)

I can't rightly recall Legend but i'm sure i've seen it before.

The Dragonslayer was the best dragon I ever seen. However, as Galen, Peter MacNicol is horrible choice.

Get the Director's CUT

The Neverending Story and Red Sonja...ah yes. I practically grew up watching those movies. :)

If you want to rent it, get the Director's cut!! It makes a lot more sense. I wish Ridley Scott would quit letting Hollywood hack his movies to pieces. Legend is a really nice fairy tale type story... :)

I loved The Neverending Story when I was young; I still do.

Red Sonja was funny in some spots.

AWESOME Dragon

The Dragonslayer was the best dragon I ever seen. However, as Galen, Peter MacNicol is horrible choice.

I thought the dragon was amazing... The girl in the story cracked me up. She didn't take any garbage off of anyone. :)

Yes, they could have cast a better male lead for the apprentice, but I've seen worse acting. (Trust me.)

I liked this film better than Eragon, which was ok, but it had lost the magic that this one has with all the CGI.

Dungeons and Dragons was the worst of the lot, inmho. The acting in that was pitiful... The kid from Lois and Clark got the role (Jimmy). He was worse than Peter MacNicol... :roll:

they're still '80's

The best 80s movies I seen was The Terminator and Aliens...I know they arent exactly fantasy but still...they are awesome.

I remember I just about jumped out of my skin when I watched The Terminator. I saw it because Linda Hamilton I knew from Beauty and the Beast TV series, which had a deaf actress in a couple of episodes--Terrilyn (I think that was her name; I may have spelled it wrong. Sorry).

Aliens I only watched recently. It had pretty good effects (no CGI) for its time.

I prefer the use of models and optics for effects. CGI can look very real or very fake, depending on how they do it.

Yeah the directors cut of Legend blew me away. Also, Darkness is by far the most bad ass villain of all time. That dude still makes me shit my pants.

Beastmaster is a personal fav also.

I prefer the use of models and optics for effects. CGI can look very real or very fake, depending on how they do it.

Yes, although it is more time-consuming and costs quite more to work with optics these days now that everybody is using CGI.

Myself, I prefer them to mix it up with optics, CGI and miniature models to create superb results.

I thought the dragon was amazing... The girl in the story cracked me up. She didn't take any garbage off of anyone. :)

Yes, they could have cast a better male lead for the apprentice, but I've seen worse acting. (Trust me.)

I liked this film better than Eragon, which was ok, but it had lost the magic that this one has with all the CGI.

Dungeons and Dragons was the worst of the lot, inmho. The acting in that was pitiful... The kid from Lois and Clark got the role (Jimmy). He was worse than Peter MacNicol... :roll:

Eragon was unfortunately a mish mash derivative of elements of Tolkien and Anne McCaffrey.

Tim Curry

Yeah the directors cut of Legend blew me away. Also, Darkness is by far the most bad ass villain of all time. That dude still makes me shit my pants.

Beastmaster is a personal fav also.

If I met Darkness in a back alley, you'd bet I'd run screaming!!! He was very scary... perfect part for Tim Curry!

If that's too scary, try him in Annie (the '80's musical movie); he's hysterical!!

Yes, I liked the Beastmaster. I liked all the animals being his friends.

You do movie making?

Yes, although it is more time-consuming and costs quite more to work with optics these days now that everybody is using CGI.

Myself, I prefer them to mix it up with optics, CGI and miniature models to create superb results.

WOW!! Neat!! :) I'm a nerd and I like all the behind the scenes to-they-do-it stuff. :)

Babylon 5 was early CGI... the ships look phony compared to models, but I also really loved that show. :)

we have that one on DVD

Eragon was unfortunately a mish mash derivative of elements of Tolkien and Anne McCaffrey.

My hubby loves dragons, so we went to see it. I am still trying to read the book, though... it's kind of slow.

i love watch 1980's before i was born but i was born in 1981

i watch movies include:
The Labyrinth
The Neverending Story
Popeyes
Top Gun
Ghostbusters 1-2
Raising Arizona

ooohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone remember any of these films?

The Last Unicorn (animated, based off the Peter S. Beagle novel), 1982

The Neverending Story (Noah Hathaway and Barrett Oliver, based off the novel by Michael Ende, a German guy, translated in English), 1984

The Labyrinth-Jennifer Connelly & David Bowie, various Jim Henson creatures, 1986

The Dark Crystal (more Jim Henson creatures), 1982

Legend (Tom Cruise, Mia Sara, & Tim Curry), 1985

The Dragonslayer (no CGI!)-1981

Red Sonja, 1985

Conan the Barbarian (I liked this one better, the sequel freaked me out a little; I saw this when I was 8 years old with my older sister!), 1982

Conan the Destroyer, 1984

The Beastmaster (Marc Singer), 1982

OK, there's also the infamous He-man movie, too, from 1987... ;)

Feel free to add any other titles I might have overlooked from the era...

I still miss Jim Henson. :(
me too i have watch and seen
close encounters of the third kind(1977)
E.T. the extra-terrestrial(1982)
tron(1982)
terminator(1984)
cocoon(1985)
highlander(1986)
the fly(1986)
one thing about E.T. made me cry when i was a kid age at 11 yrs old it a fab movie.

Did u know that they are re-make red sonja

RED SONJA WILL DUE OUT IN 2010 DATE DON'T KNOW YET I AM STILL LOOK FOWARD TO SEE THAT MOVIE OH ACTRESS IS ROSE MCGOWN:cool2:

Back