720 vs 1080 but 120 Hz LCD looks awesome!

a) How do you know about it? because you don't have own OLED TV. there customers have still concerning about OLED's for burn-in screen if they purchased. let wait and see..

b) Yes thats correct. But from 1980 around Ole b/w or o/b CRT was worse one than plamsa.

c) I had used to own plasma before. My Plasma had burn-in screen before I exchanged. I haven't see any burn-in print on plasma while it turn off. But the very old CRT would has burn in print on screen when it turn off. For Plasma's screen pixels had damaged itself which is burn-in, not screen..

img6761a600zj2.jpg

img6870b6003hf4.jpg

img6881b6005ey5.jpg

How Do I Prevent Burn-In?

It is rather simple to prevent the burn-in effect from occurring to your plasma.

1. Calibrate your display. It is difficult to overestimate the importance of this step. Most TVs come from the store with their brightness and contrast set way too high in order to show good in the display room. Get yourself AVIA or DVE (Digital Video Essentials) DVD, and you'll have a nicely calibrated set in less than 15 minutes.
2. Do not watch any 4:3 or 2.35:1 content during the first 100 hours of use. Most damage is done to the brand-new plasmas by inexperienced users. Plasmas are most susceptible to burn-in during the first 100 hours, and much more burn-in resistant after 1000 hours of use.
3. Restrict non-full-screen programming to 20% until 1000 hours. Plasma manufacturers also recommend limiting viewing of 4:3 or 2.35:1 programming to about 20% of overall viewing time after the first 100 hours and until 1000 hours. After that, your plasma is much less likely to take burn-in. Try watching 4:3 content in "stretched" or "fair" ("just") mode that fills the entire screen.
4. While your plasma is new, turn down the contrast (sometimes called "picture", which refers to white level, or the brightness of light areas of the picture). A new plasma TV is much more likely to take damage from displaying static elements such as logos or teletext. Reducing overall contrast (this controls white levels, and is called "picture" on some displays) helps reducing the possibility of those static elements to burn in.
5. Switch channels to avoid logo burn-in. Avoid extended viewing of broadcasts with non-transparent logos or where the screen is divided into fixed parts (such as teletext or weather reports) all the time. These logos or teletext lines may imprint into your plasma, causing burn-in.
6. Use grey bars instead of black. Some plasma displays allow using color bars instead of black for 4:3 programming. This may greatly reduce the burn-in effect.
7. Enable pixel shifting. Many plasmas offer pixel shifting, otherwise referred as "wobulation" technique, in order to reduce the effect of burn-in. Enabling this feature may decrease the effect of burn-in by "smoothing" the borders between bright and dark parts of the image. This feature alone will not prevent your display from burning in, however, because larger dark and bright parts of the screen will mostly remain where they are, thus causing an after-image with slightly blurred borders.
8. If your DVD player has a screen saver and auto-shutdown feature, turn it on. This helps a great deal saving you from burn-in resulting from paused movies (screen saver) or disk menus (auto-off).
9. If seeing early signs of image retention, run a screen saver on your plasma. New plasmas are likely to display non-permanent image retention after displaying a still image or a still element, such as a logo. Chances are great that this effect will disappear by itself after you watch a different channel (remember using full-screen "stretch" mode) for some time, or if you engage a special burn-in reduction screen saver, if your plasma has it. Please refer to your plasma documentation to find if your TV has a screen saver. Many plasmas don't have it.

Seems complicated? It is not! Here's the list once again:

While your plasma is new:

1. Reduce contrast
2. Avoid content that does not fill entire screen (leaves black bars) for the first 1000 hours
3. Switch channels from time to time
4. If seeing any signs of image retention, run a screen saver on your plasma

Always:

1. Use grey bars instead of black
2. On your plasma, keep pixel shifting enabled
3. On your DVD player, keep screen saver and auto-shutdown enabled
4. Calibrate your display to avoid unnecessary high brightness and contrast levels

whoa excellent tips, Chevy

How to stop burn-in on your Plasma screen TV.

Break in your plasma-screen television. Newer screens are more susceptible to burn-in than older screens. Run your new television in its "theater" or "movie" mode for a while before you start gaming. To be on the safe side, do this for 100 to 200 hours of total use time.

Use the television's utilities. Most plasma screens have a feature called an "image cleaner," which is designed to prevent and repair the shading of the pixels that causes burn-in. Use this feature every few weeks or months. If your television doesn't have an image cleaner, turning it to an empty channel can help as well--the "snow" has a similar effect. Some televisions will have other settings designed to prevent burn-in damage, so read the manual and see which ones your set may include.

Turn off game consoles and the television when you're not using them. This sounds like common sense--and it is, but it's one of the best ways to prevent burn-in from happening. You'll not only prevent the possibility of a paused image being burned into your screen, but you'll save some electricity and extend the life of your components as well.

How Do I Prevent Burn-In?

It is rather simple to prevent the burn-in effect from occurring to your plasma.

1. Calibrate your display. It is difficult to overestimate the importance of this step. Most TVs come from the store with their brightness and contrast set way too high in order to show good in the display room. Get yourself AVIA or DVE (Digital Video Essentials) DVD, and you'll have a nicely calibrated set in less than 15 minutes.
2. Do not watch any 4:3 or 2.35:1 content during the first 100 hours of use. Most damage is done to the brand-new plasmas by inexperienced users. Plasmas are most susceptible to burn-in during the first 100 hours, and much more burn-in resistant after 1000 hours of use.
3. Restrict non-full-screen programming to 20% until 1000 hours. Plasma manufacturers also recommend limiting viewing of 4:3 or 2.35:1 programming to about 20% of overall viewing time after the first 100 hours and until 1000 hours. After that, your plasma is much less likely to take burn-in. Try watching 4:3 content in "stretched" or "fair" ("just") mode that fills the entire screen.
4. While your plasma is new, turn down the contrast (sometimes called "picture", which refers to white level, or the brightness of light areas of the picture). A new plasma TV is much more likely to take damage from displaying static elements such as logos or teletext. Reducing overall contrast (this controls white levels, and is called "picture" on some displays) helps reducing the possibility of those static elements to burn in.
5. Switch channels to avoid logo burn-in. Avoid extended viewing of broadcasts with non-transparent logos or where the screen is divided into fixed parts (such as teletext or weather reports) all the time. These logos or teletext lines may imprint into your plasma, causing burn-in.
6. Use grey bars instead of black. Some plasma displays allow using color bars instead of black for 4:3 programming. This may greatly reduce the burn-in effect.
7. Enable pixel shifting. Many plasmas offer pixel shifting, otherwise referred as "wobulation" technique, in order to reduce the effect of burn-in. Enabling this feature may decrease the effect of burn-in by "smoothing" the borders between bright and dark parts of the image. This feature alone will not prevent your display from burning in, however, because larger dark and bright parts of the screen will mostly remain where they are, thus causing an after-image with slightly blurred borders.
8. If your DVD player has a screen saver and auto-shutdown feature, turn it on. This helps a great deal saving you from burn-in resulting from paused movies (screen saver) or disk menus (auto-off).
9. If seeing early signs of image retention, run a screen saver on your plasma. New plasmas are likely to display non-permanent image retention after displaying a still image or a still element, such as a logo. Chances are great that this effect will disappear by itself after you watch a different channel (remember using full-screen "stretch" mode) for some time, or if you engage a special burn-in reduction screen saver, if your plasma has it. Please refer to your plasma documentation to find if your TV has a screen saver. Many plasmas don't have it.

Seems complicated? It is not! Here's the list once again:

While your plasma is new:

1. Reduce contrast
2. Avoid content that does not fill entire screen (leaves black bars) for the first 1000 hours
3. Switch channels from time to time
4. If seeing any signs of image retention, run a screen saver on your plasma

Always:

1. Use grey bars instead of black
2. On your plasma, keep pixel shifting enabled
3. On your DVD player, keep screen saver and auto-shutdown enabled
4. Calibrate your display to avoid unnecessary high brightness and contrast levels
My pictures are old like 6 or 7 months ago. Toobad, I had exchanged it for HDTV LCD for long times ago right after that.

what's site you resource from tips? Anyway Yeah, I knew it already, this is ole news before you posted about tips. Matter of fact, tips won't help to prevent burn-in screen nor solution it. Because Plasma has history repeat itself since 1980 around till now without change or improve.

I sometime visit AVS Forum, they are friendly and wonderful feedbacks without turn down people's questions. they have many answer your questions which you receive like blessings.. ;)

anyway I acknowledge my one or two posts which isn't relate this. we should stay stick with creater's topic about 120mhz LCD..

:)

Hi Guys,

Don't understand about OLED, careful

only Sony have OLED but JVC, Sharp, Samsung don't want OLED Technology yet, why?

you know color R-G-B (red-green-blue)
OLED can't lifespam lamp will broke up to 12,000 hours only for Blue

Red = 88,000 hours
Green = 60,000 hours
but
Blue = 12,000 hours weak

Sony or other research Technology need more then 50,000 or 60,000 hours

if final blue 60,000 or 50,000 hours, JVC, Sharp, Samsumg will get OLED HDTV future

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Don't understand about OLED, careful

only Sony have OLED but JVC, Sharp, Samsung don't want OLED Technology yet, why?

you know color R-G-B (red-green-blue)
OLED can't lifespam lamp will broken up to 12,000 hours only for Blue

Red = 88,000 hours
Green = 60,000 hours
but
Blue = 12,000 hours weak

Sony or other research Technology need more then 50,000 or 60,000 hours

if final blue 60,000 or 50,000 hours, JVC, Sharp, Samsumg will get OLED HDTV future
Really? very interesting! Wow I learn something new like this.. thank you for teaching me and share me with your informations about OLED.. Do you have source from site as above? I just wondering.. ;)

Welcome, no problem

you can search "OLED lifespam (or life lamp) blue", they have many infomation

but only sony XEL-1 alone but any Company don't have any OLED HDTV yet

same SED (Surface-conduction Electron-emitter Display)yet too

CES, 8-11, Jan 2009, we hope watch update OLED's blue how many lifespam?

Really? very interesting! Wow I learn something new like this.. thank you for teaching me and share me with your informations about OLED.. Do you have source from site as above? I just wondering.. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah! I will find out about updated OLED TV at CES. I hope that OLED display would be more longer of lifescan than ever. RHR, why not you go to Las Vegas to see there? :giggle:

Yes, I went to CES in Las Vegas 3 time, but too many people push and custmer are very busy, I bored, but I watch on website at AnandTech, Bjorn3d, Digit Life, Engadget, HardwareZone, etc.. I read easy for deaf but CES, no interpepter!

I know best is Engadget HD

Yeah! I will find out about updated OLED TV at CES. I hope that OLED display would be more longer of lifescan than ever. RHR, why not you go to Las Vegas to see there? :giggle:

Yes, I went to CES in Las Vegas 3 time, but too many people push and custmer are very busy, I bored, but I watch on website at AnandTech, Bjorn3d, Digit Life, Engadget, HardwareZone, etc.. I read easy for deaf but CES, no interpepter!

Wow! you had visited there at three times. I had visited Summer CES at Chicago last 1980's for businesses and enterprises only before customers arriving but they had stopped in 1994 because reason of losing popularity, unfortunately.

just go there during weekday. i've always wanted to go to one.

it is late,
cost
before Oct 31 - free
nov 1 - Jan 2 at before 5pm - $100
Jan 2 at after 5:01pm - $200 !!!

but some company (after they will plan on booth) have lot of ticket free give you but only meet company on present to Jan 2
Exp: I call Sony company, I want visit Sony Booth, they give you free ticket on mail

You should register CES forms to be eligible to attend the show if interesting.
http://registration.experient-inc.com/ShowCES091/Press/WelcomePage.aspx

it is late,
cost
before Oct 31 - free
nov 1 - Jan 2 at before 5pm - $100
Jan 2 at after 5:01pm - $200 !!!

but some company (after they will plan on booth) have lot of ticket free give you but only meet company on present to Jan 2
Exp: I call Sony company, I want visit Sony Booth, they give you free ticket on mail

yes, I have remembered that I had gotten free pass ticket in two month before arriving Summer CES at Chicago.

Back