7.8 Earthquake hits Nepal; many dead

Watermissions.org is providing clean water in Nepal. I sent them a donation. They're a good organization.

Heard that Google Exec died on the Mt Everest avalanche... sad.

My daughter knew him through her job. It's really sad.

My understanding is that there is only a two week window when you can actually climb Mt. Everest due to weather.

3000 isnt that massive a death toll when it comes to.earth quakes...
A week before.they had a conference.about this very thing....
Expect the toll.to.go up...given the stste of nepals helth system and infrastructure.
A buddhsit friend of mine.is in nepal but i have been unable to.reach him..
Hope he is ok.

It's now over 4,000. And I don't know, I consider that a massive death toll regarding anything. Sure, it doesn't reach the 830k from Shanxi in 1550s or Haiti's 300k, but every one of those lives has value.

Given the times we live in, the amount dying in Nepal is high.

just watched on bbc news there very little hospital space I think sending people to india sad situation

Yeah, but consider an earthquake the same size hitting NYC with the same devastation. This earthquake is big enough to hit Boston at the same time. There will not be enough hospital space either initially. The border of India is just 75 miles from Kathmandu. You wouldn't think anything of sending out people 75 miles from a US disaster. We can't possibly forget our own **** up of Katrina.

Yeah, but consider an earthquake the same size hitting NYC with the same devastation. This earthquake is big enough to hit Boston at the same time. There will not be enough hospital space either initially. The border of India is just 75 miles from Kathmandu. You wouldn't think anything of sending out people 75 miles from a US disaster. We can't possibly forget our own **** up of Katrina.

you got good point but it not happened in Boston apart from bombing or nyc apart from bombings which you all handled amazingly well..America has the infrastructure these people do not to handle these things....Nepal has gentle most unwarlike people in the world,let us be seen to help people like this not go into to other countries guns blazing who don't want us and cause more mayhem...this is act of kindness to people begging food and water not bombs and guns.
oh and there pile of americans stuck on Everest are they worth more or less than the sherpers who guide them up,the sherpers who scratch a living putting life online for load middle class adrenalin jockies

:( oh how utterly devastating.....

hoichi did you reach your friend?

it is sad the climbers so is the poor wretched sherpers Proberly be weeks before full impact be known...helicopters having problems landing and no telephones.....Nepal poorest country in world we owe it to them do what we can help for future....UK have battalion of soldiers called Gurkers they from Nepal those men fight for uk many years,and by default that means they been helping other nations

it is sad the climbers so is the poor wretched sherpers Proberly be weeks before full impact be known...helicopters having problems landing and no telephones.....Nepal poorest country in world we owe it to them do what we can help for future....UK have battalion of soldiers called Gurkers they from Nepal those men fight for uk many years,and by default that means they been helping other nations

Nepal isn't, actually. It's somewhere around the 20th poorest. That dubious honor goes to the Democratic Republic of Congo.

I surppose it which stats you read...Congo somewhat self impose on themselves cash buy guns..my country sends 9 billion £ a year to india for so called poor a country that got space itinary and bread basket of Asia....this 9billian should go to napal

When a country is anywhere in the bottom heap of poor nations, the exact ranking probably doesn't matter that much. It's all bad.

it is in deed reb but many nations could help themselves by feeding and educating not buying guns....NAPAL sweet kind people harm no one and strangly they do not see themselves as poor in same way we look at poverty,my heart bleeds for them

it is in deed reb but many nations could help themselves by feeding and educating not buying guns....NAPAL sweet kind people harm no one and strangly they do not see themselves as poor in same way we look at poverty,my heart bleeds for them
True. Some of the poor countries bring poverty upon themselves with bad leadership, bad policies, internal wars. Others, have a lack of natural resources or are victims of outside forces.

They must known something going to happen bc they started putting things into place just before quake happened

They must known something going to happen bc they started putting things into place just before quake happened

caz, they've known for 20 years this was coming. I already said this, but they had much more pressing problems to deal with than an earthquake coming at some point they can't determine. Countries get mired into dealing with the daily issues of their people just like people get mired in the daily issues of their lives. They didn't even have building codes in the 90s. There's astronomic growth rate in that area so hundreds of thousands of people have joined since then. Not only are building codes relatively new, there's nearly no enforcement of them so there are many violations. It's the buildings that kill so many, not the earthquake itself.

We finally heard from the family in Nepal. Here's what the wife/mother posted:

Kathmandu Earthquake Blog 1
For us things started Friday night. At 10pm I stood up about to head for bed when I got a wave of nausea. By 11 I was puking my guts out. The night wore on with more of the same, when morning came it subsided for a little and then "changed directions." blah. I felt awful and just a trip to the bathroom which was only 10 steps made me very dizzy. About 11am I made my last trip. I changed out of my pj's, thankfully, and laid on the couch.

Saturday's are our church day, but since I was sick I was home with Emily (3 months) and Luke had our kids about a 10 minute walk away at our "office/church", which is on the bottom level of a 3 story building.

I was now laying on the couch watching a movie. At almost 12 the DVD layer turned off, my first thought was the power just went out. Sometimes as our electric goes from outside electricity to our battery back up this happens. Maybe 10 seconds later things started to shake violently. I was on the 2nd story of 3 in our house. I jumped up terrified and grabbed Emily. I was crying and praying out loud. I didn't know where to go. It really seems like this whole even took 10 minutes when really it was only seconds. I couldn't think of where to go, but I remember in our old house talking to the kids and saying if there was an earthquake they should lay down by the bunk bed in their room, so that is where I went.

I tried to grab a mattress off their bed but couldn't with Emily and the shaking so I just grabbed the comforter. I lay on the floor staring at the giant wardrobe I just knew was going to fall on us, but I didn't know what to do so I prayed. I finally stopped repeating myself and prayed for peace, instantly, I looked down and saw Emily's face and she just looked at me completely "at peace" and smiled and I was filled with peace inside and began to calm.

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee,
because he trusteth in thee." Isaiah 26:3

I'm not sure how long I was waiting and the shaking went on, but it seemed an eternity. The second the shaking was over I with Emily and the big blanket ran to the door, grabbed my shoes and took off down the stairs and outside. My neighbor who lives on the third floor with her 10 year old daughter were right behind me. I sat out in the yard on the ground.

After an earthquake the aftershocks/ tremors come almost instantly. It reminded me of your belly gurgling before you get sick and just rumbling. I could feel the ground underneath me still "gurgling" about every 30 seconds it would do some gurgling. Having never been through this I thought for sure it was going to erupt into something big again but it didn't right away. The neighbor (landlady) was right behind me with her hand on my shoulder. It was such a comfort. I can't begin to describe how hard it was not having the rest of my family right there with me. I waited maybe 5 minutes outside. Then Luke came. He didn't have the kids with him, but said they were safe with our church family in a nearby field. We quickly ran out of our gate to a field nearby. Not the same as the kids, that one was in the wrong direction from our house and too far, too dangerous for us to go to.

After I was settled in the field with Emily and our blanket Luke went back to stay with the kids. Tremors kept on coming. When you lay on the ground you can feel all of them. As they would come the people around would scream "aiyo, aiyo" which meant "it's coming." In the field I wasn't scared. There wasn't anything around to fall on us so it was comforting. I missed my kids, but I knew they were in good hands and we would be together soon.

http://knicks2nepal.blogspot.in/2015/04/kathmandu-earthquake-blog-1.html

caz, they've known for 20 years this was coming. I already said this, but they had much more pressing problems to deal with than an earthquake coming at some point they can't determine. Countries get mired into dealing with the daily issues of their people just like people get mired in the daily issues of their lives. They didn't even have building codes in the 90s. There's astronomic growth rate in that area so hundreds of thousands of people have joined since then. Not only are building codes relatively new, there's nearly no enforcement of them so there are many violations. It's the buildings that kill so many, not the earthquake itself.

I only saw interview with scientist earlier this week did not catch it all...there a lot of natural disasters waiting to happen personly I want be far away from that big geezer in Yellowstone park it apparently showing worrying changes as for calfornia fault line no way or other side where America will cop it when that mountain in canary islands topples into sea.
Where I live back in 1953 was terrible flooding 300 died and scientist say we well over due for another nothing been put in place for when it happens My mum and dad were on train going to Seattle when St Helen volcano blew up mum said it was horrendous and they was some miles away but see bloated dead animals by rail track ash dust everywhere and America got infrastructure to handle disasters.
You think after tsunami we have our acts in order, earthquake watch was put in place.poloticians got listen to scientists...

This is so sad and I hope those made it alive find Peace and comforting for all the victims families that dies in the earthquake

Sent from my XT1526 using AllDeaf App mobile app

I found out tonight that Jamie and the four kids will be traveling back to Florida tomorrow for 30 days. Her husband will be staying in Nepal to look after things there. They don't know if their place is fixable or not.

Jamie and the kids can't sleep. The kids especially keep waking up screaming and shaking in fear. I'm afraid they have PTSD from the quake. :(

Back