6 year old deaf boy died

linneaelliott

Reaction score
http://cbs46.com/Global/story.asp?S=2100278

Below is an e-mail I recived about this. I put the website (little different from below) so that you will know its credible information.

Missing Deaf Boy Found Dead in Pool

Ayan Wilder (picture on the attachment)

Ayan Wilder turned up in the swimming pool of a home not far from his own in the Douglasville subdivision.

Relatives of 6-year-old Ayan Wilder are grief-stricken after learning of his death.

Last Modified: 6/10/2005 6:09:59 PM

A little after nine o'clock Wednesday morning, a Douglasville police officer's tragic discovery in a backyard swimming pool ended the search for a missing deaf 6-year-old boy.

Ayan Wilder vanished about 9 p.m. Tuesday after apparently climbing out of the second-story window of his home along Cindy Drive in the Rolling Hills subdivision. Police say the 6-year-old then scaled a yard fence to get to neighbor's backyard, which contained a pool.

Douglasville police found Wilder's body in the pool and say he may have drowned. The child's second try at running away from home in the same day proved to be a fatal mistake.

Jacky Wilder-Ryder, the boy's great-aunt, said, "I wouldn't expect this, but we do know that we had six wonderful years, six very wonderful years. We'll keep them. We'll keep him. He's with us."

Police said Wilder first tried to run away from home Tuesday afternoon, but was found down the street about three hours later. The boy apparently waited until after nightfall to try it again.

A relative told Elaine Reyes that Wilder's actions may be related to him being angry about being restrained during a visit to the dentist earlier Tuesday.

At least three other law enforcement agencies including Georgia State Patrol, DeKalb County police and Fayetteville police aided Douglasville police as they scoured the neighborhood for hours. Coweta County police also brought in search dogs to help track down the boy.

A close-knit community, dozens of neighbors poured into the streets and went door-to-door to help look for Wilder, as well. News of his death left them visibly shaken and tearful.

Searcher Loretta Blanton said, "I didn't want to find him like this but, I wanted to find him. It's too late."

Searcher Steven King said, "It's not a good thing. It's not a good thing. There's nothing you can do about it right now. Everybody, they did everything they could."

Wilder lived with his grandparents, of which the grandfather said they'd only recently moved into the neighborhood.

"I appreciate everything that everybody's done," Robert Wilder said. " just recently moved into the community and this community pulled together for me when I was in need, and I really do appreciate what they did for me."

Next week, Wilder was supposed to start a new school year at Atlanta's School for the Deaf. Although the 6-year-old had been deaf since birth, he was able to communicate through sign language.

"He brought joy to this family. He was always happy. He was always laughing and smiling," the boy's grandfather said.

Wilder-Ryder said, "We're going to get through this and we're going to go on. It's hard."

Attachments

• Ayan Wilder.jpg
    Ayan Wilder.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 44
A good way to prevent drownings is to teach your baby to swim. My 2 yr old nephew is already a good swimmer which brings big relief to my sister and her husband that hes not going to become a drowning statistic.

Richard

:tears: OH what a sad, sad story this is!!! He is so adorable, and that beautiful smile!!! I pray that God will watch over his family during their time of grief.

My goodness that is sad. Good think my son knows how to swim. Even better then me.

My heart goes out to his family.. its really sad.. but my question is, why did he keep running away? he ran away earlier then later that night he ran away again.. something about him being angry about his dentist.. kinda odd though.. but it sad knowing that his life was cut short.

Damn, I hate to see deaf population went declined. :(

R3na3Blyth3 said:
That's sad having something like this happen. :(

Yeah, I rather to have 3 deaf kids, growing more deaf population. :boink:

Awwww, That's really sad, My heart goes out to the family of this little boy.

I agree with you Nesmuth, about teaching young kids how to swim, but the problem is some children are afraid of water, just like my little boy Jordan. I don't want to push him into learning how to swim, I rather for him to come forward and feel comfortable around the water.

I really want my boys to swim but unfortanely my oldest one has tubes and ear plugs does not work that great... he keeps unplugging it... have to wait for the tubes to fall off. sigh.

it is sad abt the boy thou.

Deep sorrow for their family lost love ones...

I assume little boy may have unhappy w/his family due "lack of communcation" or parent neglect this child which felt "Deaf Child is disbitiites" May this boy want to run away from his family.. Who knows...
What happend them ? Deny ?

I was a house inspector. That neighbor is full responsible for the damage because she/he did not install the fences around the pool and even if there is no lock fence door. If the door has a lock, then, obviously, the door was unlocked. If there is no lock door, then she/he is required to get a lock chain. It's a strict insurance policy.

I am sure that her house insurance policy will be automatically cancelled soon which mean that the owner will loose his/her house - I am not making it up - unless the owner's mortgage is paid in full.

I feel bad about the boy. It made me think that he would have understood the danger zone in some ways because he was six years old. :dunno:

Back