56-year-old man gets life for stealing $900 of cigarettes

[he] had five prior burglary charges, an arson charge and a rap sheet that stretched from 1983 to 2013….

http://www.theitem.com/stories/man-s...bargain,247458

An Habitia ffender...at 56, don't see a chance in hell for him to change...hence 3 strikes and ur out...Taking the chance that he did when he went to Court?....his own fault....A Rap Sheet for over 20 years?....And an Arsonist?.....Exactly WHERE do we draw the Line?
A smack on the hand and say..."Well, he's just a good ol' boy"....He's not, he's a Criminal...and would repeat and repeat if he had the chance...
The City of Sumter, SC can rest a little better now...knowing he can't burn down any businesses or homes...or do any more Burglary runs....
As for other people getting less time?...Im not the Law...were they an Habital Offender?
So put that in ur Pipe and smoke it!....Not my fault...it all falls on HIM...

You draw the line using common sense, but unfortunately common sense and the US legal system don't go together. The guy might of been a habitual criminal, but none of his crimes seemed to be violent, so throw the book at him in regards to community service such as give him 2,000 hours, where you have him cleaning up the town/city, repainting public buildings, etc. where you are actually getting something from him and not paying to put him up for the next 20-30+ years. By sending him to prison for life it's going to cost the state more than $100,000 per year to keep him in prison cell and if he lives another 30 years the state will be out millions for his care and lodging. Prison is for violent criminals not petty ones.

You draw the line using common sense, but unfortunately common sense and the US legal system don't go together. The guy might of been a habitual criminal, but none of his crimes seemed to be violent, so throw the book at him in regards to community service such as give him 2,000 hours, where you have him cleaning up the town/city, repainting public buildings, etc. where you are actually getting something from him and not paying to put him up for the next 20-30+ years. By sending him to prison for life it's going to cost the state more than $100,000 per year to keep him in prison cell and if he lives another 30 years the state will be out millions for his care and lodging. Prison is for violent criminals not petty ones.

Is Arson "petty"?...looking at his Rap Sheet...it's over 30 years, not 20 years of repeating crimes.....this guy cannot be rehabilitated...

Is Arson "petty"?...looking at his Rap Sheet...it's over 30 years, not 20 years of repeating crimes.....this guy cannot be rehabilitated...
But he already served his sentence for all his previous crimes. So it's like double jeapody. He is being sentenced only for stealing cigarettes. Life for stealing cigarettes, is not fair and just punishment. Also not cost effective. Instead it was a political pawn used by many politicians. Now many states are struggling with how to pay for this. Some are repealing it or at least modifying it to violent felons then releasing those currently serving for non violent crimes.
The problem is we removed Jurist Prudence from judges and gave it to politicians. This is a violation of the whole US government checks and balances.

But he already served his sentence for all his previous crimes. So it's like double jeapody. He is being sentenced only for stealing cigarettes. Life for stealing cigarettes, is not fair and just punishment. Also not cost effective. Instead it was a political pawn used by many politicians. Now many states are struggling with how to pay for this. Some are repealing it or at least modifying it to violent felons then releasing those currently serving for non violent crimes.
The problem is we removed Jurist Prudence from judges and gave it to politicians. This is a violation of the whole US government checks and balances.

Nope...and as stated by Laura....
it was his third serious crime, and his second, he committed a felony, only a week prior.

So there you go!....He also was a fool for representing himself and not having a public defender...even then. 15 years is a long time....but not as long as he had been committing crimes (30 years to be exact).

I do know someone who had been incarnated for 12 years...got out, and is terrified to even pick up a dime off the sidewalk...Not wanting to go back to prison...But this guy?...He served time, but still went back to his "old ways"....cannot be rehabilitated....

Maybe he wanted to go to jail for life , he didn't even try to go straight and he was his own lawyer . Now he is taken care of the rest of his life , free meals, health care etc. Hopefully his family does not have a long life expectancy so taxpayers will not have to support the loser too long.

You know yourself...he didn't get Life for stealing cigarettes!...and you're a ex-con...and know the ins & outs of the system....and know what a Habital Offender is....So your dramatics are nothing to me, Hoichi.

He did get life for stealin smokes. He did his time for the other crimes...
Yes
Ive been jn..and yes the majority of people doing time are there for non violent crimes...
Life for stealing smokes is an sffront against the spirit of justice...
Considerng how many violent dudes the system lets walk, or gves mere seasons in,
at least be consistant in your systems dishing out of "sports sound bite justice", or what ever dumbed down idea of it is the popular flavour you hold

make him sweep up every fag butt in his town...justice like everywhere is luck who judge is..
If the cigs are the under the customs radar they often have brick dust in them..If I went into London stood on street corner within twenty mins someone would approach me try sell them to me the same apply in America also cigs come from same source which proberly China or slums of Mumbai or so the news states or in your case slums of Mexico

Three-strikes law puts him in jail for life so why didn't he think about it twice before he stole them? I know why. He doesn't give a sh*t. It's his problem. LOL, why do some of you need to defend the criminal?

Yes
Ive been jn..and yes the majority of people doing time are there for non violent crimes...
Considerng how many violent dudes the system lets walk, or gves mere seasons in,
at least be consistant in your systems dishing out of "sports sound bite justice", or what ever dumbed down idea of it is the popular flavour you hold

Nope...and as stated by Laura....
it was his third serious crime, and his second, he committed a felony, only a week prior.

Yes
Did you look at the picture of him? Can you tell that he cares about what you said so far? Hell no!

I mean he knew that it happened like that. He didn't want to work so he committed several crimes instead. Know what? He deserves it big time, don't you think?

Yes

I have to agree with you I worked with a guy who was convicted and was in prison for murder (did 7 years) ....and made no bones about the fact he did the guy in....yet I am always reading about people who do something so petty and people make an example of him.... Sad really, when people say this is justice. ...this is not justice .... Not at all...

I have to agree with you I worked with a guy who was convicted and was in prison for murder (did 7 years) ....and made no bones about the fact he did the guy in....yet I am always reading about people who do something so petty and people make an example of him.... Sad really, when people say this is justice. ...this is not justice .... Not at all...
Don't you see? He committed crimes before. Wherever there's three-strike laws applied, why didn't he stop committing a crime? All I can say is that he's aware of it but he doesn't care. Therefore I don't care about him, why do you?

Don't you see? He committed crimes before. Wherever there's three-strike laws applied, why didn't he stop committing a crime? All I can say is that he's aware of it but he doesn't care. Therefore I don't care about him, why do you?

You should care where over 400$ a day of your states loot goes..
Just on the money side...
Then again.given yoir nsyions nwtional debt and how it throws away your money...
Yeah of course.you dont care...
His other crimes he did the time for,
He got life for steaLing smokes

Can you think of a better way to spend ovee 400$ a day?
Mmmm
Guess not..
Cool

Now I see the point of a name.... Smh

If everything was so black in white in the world then explain the people who stop....explain how repeat offenders give up the life and go straight.... I can tell you one thing this life has taught me...9:10 times it has nothing to do with prison.... That is just part of the game ....
Tell me something you throw a person in prison for a petty crime what do they learn?

You should care where over 400$ a day of your states loot goes..
Just on the money side...
Then again.given yoir nsyions nwtional debt and how it throws away your money...
Yeah of course.you dont care...
His other crimes he did the time for,
He got life for steaLing smokes

Can you think of a better way to spend ovee 400$ a day?
Mmmm
Guess not..
Cool
Like I said a while ago, I spend 1 cent (probably much less) to take care of that sh*head per day. Don't you have an idea how many taxpayers in the US we have?

I understand that it's stupid to put $900 cig worth theft in jail for life but it's his three strike. I mean come on, he already had two strikes before that happened. You better be not that stupid like him.

Like I said a while ago, I spend 1 cent (probably much less) to take care of that sh*head per day. Don't you have an idea how many taxpayers in the US we have?

I understand that it's stupid to put $900 cig worth theft in jail for life but it's his three strike. I mean come on, he already had two strikes before that happened. You better be not that stupid like him.

Well money grows on trees, so what the hell....

Besides the policy of lock up america, the country with the highets incsrcerated seems to a success....
More prisons. more non viokent dudes getting life for theft....ti mske room lets give rapists 2 or 4....
Its a preety good system...
(Yeah)

Well money grows on trees, so what the hell....

Besides the policy of lock up america, the country with the highets incsrcerated seems to a success....
More prisons. more non viokent dudes getting life for theft....ti mske room lets give rapists 2 or 4....
Its a preety good system...
(Yeah)
yes, it's better than a Middle East where you get your useful hand cut off or death for theft.

yes, it's better than a Middle East where you get your useful hand cut off or death for theft.

Well if thats your measure.......
Sad.
I think once america and her citizens had a fsr wider dream then ....oh.....
Never mind..
Life.for.everyone...
Hell....
why not.
jit seems to be working...

Did you look at the picture of him? Can you tell that he cares about what you said so far? Hell no!

I mean he knew that it happened like that. He didn't want to work so he committed several crimes instead. Know what? He deserves it big time, don't you think?

but do you deserve pay his three meals a day his health plan better than yours he never need worry again and you going work your butt off for that .I ask same question do average American see wages go for that...This sort of justice happen everywhere not just America as they say law and justice don't go hand in hand and is unfair....I read so many of you have problems getting HA CI no money so make him sweep streets unpaid be more money in pot then

Well if thats your measure.......
Sad.
I think once america and her citizens had a fsr wider dream then ....oh.....
Never mind..
Life.for.everyone...
Hell....
why not.
jit seems to be working...
I agree with one poster that he could have received punishment as a 900 hours community service instead but what if he didn't show up or escape from the country? Let me ask you, if you have two strikes, would you do something illegally again? That's why there's a three-strikes law. Stop committing a crime or you go to jail for life. It's actually ridiculous to let a criminal to commit a crime again and again and again. They must be stopped. We don't want them on the streets.

Back