5 year old HOH boy - oral only or "mainstreaming"

She does this stuff in nearly every thread I go into. Some of the ops have even politely asked her to stop doing it. Therefore, She's the problem not me!!!

Either you grow up or get banned again... probably permanently this time. Your choice. :cool2:

She does this stuff in nearly every thread I go into. Some of the ops have even politely asked her to stop doing it. Therefore, She's the problem not me!!!

I know what you mean. Why don't you just put her on egnore. That's what I've done.

I know what you mean. Why don't you just put her on egnore. That's what I've done.

My, my. Seems some people have a problem with discussion from alternative view points. They seem to think it is a personal issue. Nothing could be further from the truth.:roll:

Now, please, let's stop this juvenile nit picking and get back on topic.

Just letting the OP know that I really don't like Oral only method without no deaf people and no sign language including no interpreter to help us understand what is being said in the hearing classrooms. I was lucky to have a mainstream school that have Deaf students in the Special Education for the deaf, but we were not allowed to have sign language and no interpreter at all. We have to relied on lipreading but get lost all the time so that was frustrating back then. That was way back in 1950 to 1960. We hated that very much. There are some deaf people who goes to mainstream orally with no other deaf people in it. This is the most loneliness place to try to understand and get frustrated not understanding them and try to be friend with them. Hearing kids don't want to communicate with us, Deafies. That is why I want all schools to have ASL for Deaf students who happen to go into the hearing classrooms. Sign language is a lot better than lipreading. So hope you are considering thinking about that. Just want to vent off my chest. Sorry about the rant. :ty:

I am HoH and I went through a regular school system. I would like to ask though .. What is the difference between Oral and Mainstreaming? I keep hearing that word around here a lot and I don't know what it means ... forgive me :(

Edit: I wanted to add something that was on topic; at least try to ... I did ok as far as academics goes, I just had to work harder. I think that its awesome that he already knows oral and sign at such an early age.

I am HoH and I went through a regular school system. I would like to ask though .. What is the difference between Oral and Mainstreaming? I keep hearing that word around here a lot and I don't know what it means ... forgive me :(

Edit: I wanted to add something that was on topic; at least try to ... I did ok as far as academics goes, I just had to work harder. I think that its awesome that he already knows oral and sign at such an early age.

anyone can be mainstreamed...deaf signers or oral deaf people...

oral deaf people are those who never learned ASL.

Yes, I think it is awesome that he knows both at such a young age...something I wish I had when I was younger.

Just letting the OP know that I really don't like Oral only method without no deaf people and no sign language including no interpreter to help us understand what is being said in the hearing classrooms. I was lucky to have a mainstream school that have Deaf students in the Special Education for the deaf, but we were not allowed to have sign language and no interpreter at all. We have to relied on lipreading but get lost all the time so that was frustrating back then. That was way back in 1950 to 1960. We hated that very much. There are some deaf people who goes to mainstream orally with no other deaf people in it. This is the most loneliness place to try to understand and get frustrated not understanding them and try to be friend with them. Hearing kids don't want to communicate with us, Deafies. That is why I want all schools to have ASL for Deaf students who happen to go into the hearing classrooms. Sign language is a lot better than lipreading. So hope you are considering thinking about that. Just want to vent off my chest. Sorry about the rant. :ty:

I am with you on that one 100%!

As for the rest, I completely understand as it was the story of my life as an oral mainstreamed deaf person.

:wave:
Ok ok, I will put my 2 cents, but I am only SSD (Single Sided Deaf)... :cool2:

So we have never known my SSD before I was 14 years old, but if I had the choice, I would have chosen meastreaming between FSL (French Sign Language) and spoken language. I regret a bit that my deafness wasn't known before because my parents could help me better, but in another sense, this didn't prevent me to study languages and to love that. Each language you add is a wealth :)

I already go to preschool because It is important to help you go to mainstream hearing because hard time. i am alone because not enough time. I am not interest alone because sometimes hard times.. i undersand I wish be happy

Back