5 Reasons Life As A Deaf Person Is Weirder Than You Thought

rockin'robin

Reaction score
There are over 500,000 deaf people in the United States, but the only time we hear about deaf culture is when someone is making up sign language at presidential funerals, rioting, or teaching kids on Sesame Street. As a result, the average person has no idea what being deaf involves, and therefore life can get downright weird for anyone who can't hear like the rest of you. Well, I'm a sign language interpreter and an American Sign Language (ASL) graduate, and I'll try to give you a glimpse of how strange things can get ...

A Few Botched Hand Motions Can Ruin Your Life

A couple of years ago, during a sign language performance in a music video, some complained that the interpreter accidentally signed the word "tampon" instead of "appear." How is that possible? Well, here's the ASL sign for "appear," according to the online guide at American Sign Language University:

276163.jpg

Yeah, you can use your imagination there. In one context, that sign can in fact mean "to appear," and in another it can mean, well, to insert something.

Hey, remember that crazy story of a dangerous attempted murderer getting on stage with President Obama because he pretended to be a sign language interpreter for Nelson Mandela's funeral? And how it turned out it wasn't even the first time he'd done that? That happened because so few people know a damned thing about sign language that a crazy guy making random hand motions fooled the security details of multiple nations' heads of state. And while that's just an oddball story to you, this is the kind of thing that can ruin a deaf person's life.

Let me give you a less hilarious example: I have a friend whose sister is deaf. She was in the hospital for a simple operation, and the sign language interpreter, like many, wasn't qualified to be doing it and accidentally told her the doctor had botched the surgery. When my friend arrived, her sister was tearfully saying her goodbyes. And if you're wondering how you could accidentally convey something so radically incorrect, see the "tampon" situation above.

Translators now have a national registry and a professional code of conduct, but, obviously, progress is slow. Many organizations don't have things like "ASL tested" or "vaguely qualified" people, and that can lead to screw-ups in pretty important places. Like courtrooms. Cases have been thrown out after the judgment when the tiniest amount of digging revealed that the interpreter wasn't qualified and botched the interpretation. Imagine if the lunatic from Mandela's funeral wound up translating your testimony at trial. And even when the interpreter knows what he's doing, legal interpreting is complicated as hell -- something like the Miranda rights can take up to 20 minutes to get across. The potential for disaster there is huge.

All of this means that ...

Misunderstandings Are Constant, and Baffling

In general, people don't understand much about deaf people (we use the capital D to refer to the culture). I've had to interpret before in situations where a person blatantly asked me to fill out forms or answer questions about the deaf person, as if he or she was a child or mentally challenged. "They can't hear, so clearly they need a legal guardian to handle life for them, even though they're middle-aged adults." It's kind of like the assumption a lot of people make that foreigners who don't speak their language must be "dumb," even if the person happens to be in that foreigner's home country, shouting at them in English. There's just something about the human brain that makes us look down on anyone who can't say words in a way we like to hear them.

I've found that the whole concept of deafness just blows people's freaking minds. I've been asked several times how long it took me to learn Braille. I also frequently get asked if deaf people can drive. Yes, of course they can, and why wouldn't they? "Well, they can't hear what's going on. That's dangerous, right? What if there's an ambulance behind them?" To which my reply is, have you ever turned the radio up in your car? No? Well, congratulations on being a liar, but those of us in the real world spend a significant part of the commute with our eardrums otherwise occupied.

"Can you have children?" is another one deaf people get, along with the follow-up question, "Aren't you afraid your children will be deaf?" If they already have children, the question becomes, "Aren't you sad you'll never hear your child's voice?" None of these are valid questions, because of course deaf people can have children, will be perfectly happy if their children are deaf, and don't hear anything, so not hearing their child's voice doesn't really bum them out. Seeing their child make their first sign is plenty.

Even weirder, they'll often be told, "You don't look deaf," or the even more baffling variation, "You're not really deaf -- you have selective hearing" (and yes, the accusation of not "really" being deaf happens more often than you'd think).

But there are less obvious things you need to be prepared for when dealing with deaf people, like all of the touching. In deaf culture, it's normal to touch someone to get their attention. Not inappropriately, mind you; we're talking "tap on the shoulder," rather than "straight-up groping." But once, while interpreting for a slightly more formal event, a deaf client touched a woman's shoulder so he could discuss something with her. She was startled and flipped out, because in polite society we don't run around grabbing each other. I had to step out of my role for a moment and explain that this wasn't a precursor to an assault.

But even in a situation where everyone involved knows sign language, we're nowhere close to being out of the woods. That's because ...

Continue Reading Below

http://www.cracked.com/personal-exp...-as-deaf-person-weirder-than-you-thought.html

rioting? DPN was rioting??? Ouch. More like protests if you ask me (and I was there!)- ain't no riotin'.

I'm blushing in embarrassment right now about the driving-while-deaf question... (I just started actively trying to learn about the deaf community today and that's definitely a question I've had before...)

When I was in college my guidance counselor who was deaf was me telling about some funny thing that happen when you use the wrong sign in ASL . One was when
my guidance counselor and a g/f of her were signing to 2 men, my guidance counselor friend was getting hungry and she thought she was signing
" I am hungry" and my guidance counselor and the 2 men eyes popped open , the woman was signing over and over "I am horny'! My guidance counselor
tried to let her to stop and the 2 guys looked very interested in the woman ! LOL!

I have had so many people tell me I don't look hoh, even when I am wearing my hair, like really do I need a sign!?!?!?!

I have had so many people tell me I don't look hoh, even when I am wearing my hair, like really do I need a sign!?!?!?!
HUH?? I didn't realize deaf and hoh people looked difference than hearing people ! What did that person expect you look like ?? Yeah we need to wear a sign with a flashing light on it !

DPN a riot?
spare me..
i wasn't present but ive known others who were and know the history very well. it was NOT in anyway a riot.
where do they get this stuff?

"The same guy who invented the telephone was actually an inventor/douchebag on par with Thomas Edison"

what does the author mean by this statement?

Edison was deaf, (he didnt sign) but his categorical imperative through his life was Not to rid the world of Deaf and prevent a "Deaf race" from becoming..
unlike Bell.

Edison actually claimed being deaf helped him in his work not hindered him.

"The same guy who invented the telephone was actually an inventor/douchebag on par with Thomas Edison"

what does the author mean by this statement?

Edison was deaf, (he didnt sign) but his categorical imperative through his life was Not to rid the world of Deaf and prevent a "Deaf race" from becoming..
unlike Bell.

Edison actually claimed being deaf helped him in his work not hindered him.
I don't believe this had anything with him being deaf, if it just Edison stole a lot of inventions and called them his own. Making him an inventor/douchebag. So really nothing about him being Deaf although that is a lesser known fact about him and may documents state that he spoke fine for the most part and a lot of people of the time didn't know he was deaf, but he did lose his hearing when he was about 8 or something.

I don't believe this had anything with him being deaf, if it just Edison stole a lot of inventions and called them his own. Making him an inventor/douchebag. So really nothing about him being Deaf although that is a lesser known fact about him and may documents state that he spoke fine for the most part and a lot of people of the time didn't know he was deaf, but he did lose his hearing when he was about 8 or something.

alright.
that is why i asked as the author was not very clear. if it has to do with edison "stealing" inventions then i ask what does comparing him to bell really do?
alright bell stole inventions.

but
thats not much relevanmt to us...or the overall discussion

yep edison was deaf he lost his hearing around 11 i thought..or close enough

When I was in college my guidance counselor who was deaf was me telling about some funny thing that happen when you use the wrong sign in ASL . One was when
my guidance counselor and a g/f of her were signing to 2 men, my guidance counselor friend was getting hungry and she thought she was signing
" I am hungry" and my guidance counselor and the 2 men eyes popped open , the woman was signing over and over "I am horny'! My guidance counselor
tried to let her to stop and the 2 guys looked very interested in the woman ! LOL!

How do you sign that, uh, the "horny" version. Jus' curious! Jus' sayin... lol Jokes aside, I'm really trying to learn ASL. Wife signs, SIL is an interpreter. Future BIL is deaf and Columbian. So, he only reads lips in Spanish!! Ugh!! I'm helpless!! But horny!!! HA!

Here in Florida..."horny" is both index fingers pointed up on the top of ur head...as for "hungry"...1 hand going downward from ur chest to ur stomach...

From the context of the original post, confusing HUNGRY and HORNY, I think what they mean is the sign for sexual desire that is similar to the HUNGRY sign, not the one that looks like horns.

It's similar to HUNGRY in hand shape and location but how it's done (repeated) and the facial expression are different.

we have multiple ways we can sign horny..

english is a dim light compared to what we can do
'-)

we have multiple ways we can sign horny..

english is a dim light compared to what we can do
'-)
Yes, but they were referring to one sign that they confused with HUNGRY (post #6).

Maybe he really said wish or hungry for, I learned that the same as hungry (by a terp) and some use hungry for as horny

Back