4 dogs and a house

Agree with Reba. Moving to an area outside the city limits is your best option. Then, you can do anything you want.

The original poster (who hasn't been back, for what that's worth) was talking about "the D.C. area." All of the close-in suburbs, whether in MD or VA, are going to have restrictions on how many animals you can have. You almost have to go out to the Leesburg area (40 miles away) to truly be "out in the country."

On the Maryland side, maybe there might be something in Prince George's county; I'm not really familiar with PG very much. However, there are a lot of new subdivisions in PG's that I'm sure would have much the same rules.

The idea of a dog-friendly realtor might help. Years ago when we were looking, "dog-friendly" was our number 1 requirement, which is how we ended up here. But we're not interested in having more than 2 dogs, so our idea of "dog-friendly" is a little more modest than what the OP needs.

Same in my neighborhood. Our HOA allows only two dogs or cats (although they don't go checking door-to-door; usually only a problem if someone makes a formal complaint). Our town also has pet limits. People who want more animals usually move to the unincorporated county areas.

Also, as a homeowner, be forewarned that some insurance companies won't cover pit bulls.

You have to pay more with my insurance if you have a dog on the 'bad' dog list! I wanted to get a Germain Shepherd mix and I was told it would cost me more!! My daughter had a pit bull mix and Ally was the sweetest dog! I miss her like Hell! It is a real drag that some dog owners give some breeds a 'bad' name!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into farmhouses. I apologize I wasn't very clear about the location- I don't mind being 45 minutes away from Gallaudet University.

Back