4 better & 4 worse

Miss*Pinocchio said:
But I am trying to tell that to Angel...but oh well.

Angel gave 15 yrs. In her marriage with her spouse that abuse her, She have tried everything to get him help with his problem. Marriage is based on treating your spouse with respect, not emotional or physical harm. It destroy their self-esteem. It's a very serious condition. Ignoring the problem is not the solution. I think she made the right choice to divorce him. He's never going to change. You cannot change people unless they want to change themselves.

Cheri said:
Angel gave 15 yrs. In her marriage with her spouse that abuse her, She have tried everything to get him help with his problem. Marriage is based on treating your spouse with respect, not emotional or physical harm. It destroy their self-esteem. It's a very serious condition. Ignoring the problem is not the solution. I think she made the right choice to divorce him. He's never going to change. You cannot change people unless they want to change themselves.

I understand, I lived with my mom and dad, and saw them fight...
but when my dad told my mom to do one thing....
she won't do it, she always thinks about herself...
My mom made the same mistake with her 2nd husband... my stepfather,
she signed up Life insurance with an agent, without discussing with her husband.... and he asked me to go see what she is doing....
And I told him she was signing something with an agent in the Living room, and he was upset while he was eating his dinner in the dining room.

And wow, I was in the middle of their argument....

I think my mom made my dad hit her like that, and made my stepfather died of heart attack... cause he couldn't deal with her,,, he died of heart broken.

So I feel it must be something that women/men do to make their spouse hit them or divorce them....

I think I know what to do in a marriage, if I ever married... I would communicate with my husband and work together in everything....
And not be self centered and all.

kootchie said it perfectly and i don't have to say anyting futher but ms P stop rambling gawd!

* shutting the door behind me*

javapride said:
kootchie said it perfectly and i don't have to say anyting futher but ms P stop rambling gawd!

* shutting the door behind me*

then I guess I win. :lol:

Why do abusers batter?

Abusive men batter women as a means of power and control, to manipulate, intimidate and rule their intimate partner. Men who abuse their partners come from all races, religions, socioeconomic classes, areas of the world, educational levels and occupations.

They often appear charming and attentive to outsiders, and even to their partners, at first. Many batterers are very good at disguising their abusive behavior to appear socially acceptable. Once they develop a relationship with a partner however, they become more and more abusive.

Domestic violence perpetrators: seek control of the thoughts, beliefs and conduct of their partner.
punish their partner for resisting control.

Men who batter:
minimize the seriousness of their violence.
act impulsively.
distrust others.
need to control people and situations.
express feelings as anger.
A batterer covers up his violence by denying, minimizing, and blaming the victim. He often convinces his partner that the abuse is less serious than it is, or that it is her fault. He may tell her that "if only" she had acted differently, he wouldn't have abused her. Sometimes he will say, "You made me do it."
Victims of abuse do not cause violence. The batterer is responsible for every act of abuse committed.

Domestic violence is a learned behavior. It is learned through:

observation.
experience.
culture.
family.
community (peer group, school, etc.).

Abuse is not caused by:

Personality disorders, mental illness, and other problems may compound domestic violence, but the abusive behavior must be addressed separately.
genetics.
alcohol and drugs.
Many men blame their violence on the effects of drug and alcohol use. Alcohol abuse is present in about 50 percent of battering relationships. Research shows that alcohol and other drug abuse is commonly a symptom of an abusive personality, not the cause. Men often blame their intoxication for the abuse, or use it as an excuse to use violence. Regardless, it is an excuse, not a cause. Taking away the alcohol, does not stop the abuse.
Substance abuse must be treated before or in conjunction with domestic violence treatment programs.

out-of-control behavior.

anger.
stress.
behavior of the victim.
problems in the relationship.
A batterer abuses because he wants to, and thinks he has a "right" to his behavior. He may think he is superior to his partner and is entitled to use whatever means necessary to control her.
Some ways batterers deny and minimize their violence:

"I hit the wall, not her head."
"She bruises easily."
"She just fell down the steps."
"Her face got in the way of my fist."

Characteristics of a Potential Batterer

Jealousy
Controlling behavior
Quick involvement
Unrealistic expectations
Isolation of victim
Blames others for his problems
Blames others for his feelings
Hypersensitivity
Cruelty to animals or children
"Playful" use of force during sex
Verbal abuse
Rigid sex roles
Jekyll and Hyde type personality
History of past battering
Threats of violence
Breaking or striking objects
Any force during an argument
Objectification of women
Tight control over finances
Minimization of the violence
Manipulation through guilt
Extreme highs and lows
Expects her to follow his orders
Frightening rage
Use of physical force
Closed mindedness

Manipulation
Abusers often try to manipulate the "system" by:
Threatening to call Child Protective Services or the Department of Human Resources and making actual reports that his partner neglects or abuses the children.
Changing lawyers and delaying court hearings to increase his partner's financial hardship.
Telling everyone (friends, family, police, etc.) that she is "crazy" and making things up.
Using the threat of prosecution to get her to return to him.
Telling police she hit him, too.
Giving false information about the criminal justice system to confuse his partner or prevent her from acting on her own behalf.
Using children as leverage to get and control his victim.
Abusers may try to manipulate their partners, especially after a violent episode.
He may try to "win" her back in some of these ways:

Invoking sympathy from her, her family and friends.
Talking about his "difficult childhood".
Becoming overly charming, reminding her of the good times they've had.
Bringing romantic gifts, flowers, dinner.
Crying, begging for forgiveness.
Promising it will "never happen again."
Promising to get counseling, to change.
Abuse gets worse and more frequent over time
Intervention
Perpetrator Intervention Programs For Abusers

Abusers can enter voluntarily or be court ordered to Perpetrator Intervention Programs. It is important to note that there are no guarantees that he will change his violent behavior. He is the only one that can make the decision--and commitment--to change.

In Alabama, there are certification guidelines for perpetrator intervention programs. Certified programs have completed a standards review process to ensure they meet guidelines. You can contact the Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence for information on these standards, (334) 832-4842.

An intervention program should include these factors:

Victim's safety is the priority.
Meets minimum standards for weekly sessions (16 weeks).
Holds him accountable.
Curriculum addresses the root of his problem.
Makes no demand on the victim to participate.
Is open to input from the victim.
What programs teach:
Education about domestic violence.
Changing attitudes and beliefs about using violence in a relationship.
Achieving equality in relationships.
Community participation.
In the program, an abuser should become aware of his pattern of violence and learn techniques for maintaining nonviolent behavior, such as "time outs" "buddy" phone cals, support groups, relaxation techniques, and exercise.
How do you know if he is really changing?

Positive signs include:

He has stopped being violent or threatening to you or others
He acknowledges that his abusive behavior is wrong
He understands that he does not have the right to control and dominate you
You don't feel afraid when you are with him.
He does not coerce or force you to have sex.
You can express anger toward him without feeling intimidated.
He does not make you feel responsible for his anger or frustration.
He respects your opinion even if he doesn't agree with it.
He respects your right to say "no."
Am I safe while he is in the program?
For your own safety and your children's safety, watch for these signs that indicate problems while he is in the program:

Tries to find you if you've left.
Tries to get you to come back to him.
Tries to take away the children.
Stalks you.
If you feel you are in danger, contact the Alabama Domestic Violence crisis line.
Lies
Six Big Lies

If you hear your partner making these statements while he is in a treatment program for abusers, you should understand that he is lying to himself, and to you.

"I'm not the only one who needs counseling."
"I'm not as bad as a lot of other guys in there."
"As soon as I'm done with this program, I'll be cured."
"We need to stay together to work this out."
"If I weren't under so much stress, I wouldn't have such a short fuse."
"Now that I'm in this program, you have to be more understanding."
Counseling
Couples' Counseling does NOT work in violent relationships!
If you are struggling with a relationship, some people may advise you to get marriage counseling, or couples' counseling. While this can be good advice in some relationships, it is NOT good for couples where there is violence. In fact, in many cases, couples' counseling has increased the violence in the home.

Couples' counseling does not work because:

Couples' counseling places the responsibility for change on both partners. Domestic violence is the sole responsibility of the abuser.
Couples' counseling works best when both people are truthful. Individuals who are abusive to their partners minimize, deny and blame, and therefore are not truthful in counseling.
Couples resolve problems in counseling by talking about problems. His abuse is not a couple problem, it is his problem. He needs to work on it in a specialized program for abusers.
A victim who is being abused in a relationship is in a dangerous position in couple's counseling. If she tells the counselor about the abuse, she is likely to suffer more abuse when she gets home. If she does not tell, nothing can be accomplished.
If you think you will benefit from joint counseling, go AFTER he successfully completes a batterer's intervention program and is no longer violent.

http://www.acadv.org/abusers.html

This should answer your all your questions Miss P !... :mrgreen:

^Angel^ said:
power and control, to manipulate, intimidate and rule their intimate partner. Appear charming
act impulsively.
distrust others.
need to control people and situations.
express feelings as anger.
anger.
stress.
behavior of the victim.
problems in the relationship.
Jealousy
Controlling behavior
Quick involvement
Unrealistic expectations
Isolation of victim
Blames others for his problems
Blames others for his feelings
Hypersensitivity
Cruelty to animals or children
"Playful" use of force during sex
Verbal abuse
Rigid sex roles
Jekyll and Hyde type personality
History of past battering
Threats of violence
Breaking or striking objects
Any force during an argument
Objectification of women
Tight control over finances
Minimization of the violence
Manipulation through guilt
Extreme highs and lows
Expects her to follow his orders
Frightening rage
Use of physical force
Closed mindedness

Some women do it too.... I heard Billy Graham's daughter was arrested for domestic violence, she hit her husband in the parking lot. She was arrested last week...

Updated: 10:14 AM EDT
Billy Graham's Daughter Arrested

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. (July 9) - Evangelist Billy Graham's daughter was arrested and charged with domestic abuse after witnesses told police she choked her husband in a parking lot, authorities said.

Virginia Graham Foreman, 59, spent a night in jail after the July 1 confrontation outside a shopping center, police said. She was charged with misdemeanor domestic abuse and released the following day.

Three witnesses told police that Foreman pushed her husband and grabbed him by the throat, authorities said.

A Volusia County judge who presided over Foreman's first court appearance said Chad Foreman told police that witnesses had "just misunderstood what was going on between them.''

No one answered the phone at the couple's home on Friday.

Billy Graham, 86, concluded a three-day revival meeting in New York City last month that he indicated could be his last.

07-09-05 10:37 EDT

So anyway, since this is year 2005, do you think domestic violence will decrease 20 years later, since most of us ain't marrying?

Not quite.....most are still marrying or remarrying. It is hard for the majority to give up the idea of marriage.

But domestic violence occurs in relationships, not just marriages. So I don't see any chance of it decreasing in future years.

Miss*Pinocchio said:
What if I lay beside my husband in bed, and he might have this sexual fantasy and sexual urge, and he might be in rage and rape me, knowing he got AIDS?

Remind him about condom. :)

Cheri said:
I don't believe you, You just saying that now. But, when you get married; You would experience the love that meant the whole world to you, You wouldn't want him leaving you because you have any type of diseases even AIDS. You will be angry in the fact that he didn't care enough for you to stay in the marriage.

Exactly... I would feel the same if my hubby leave me because of this.

DeafKattMom said:
You have to think before you talk. Get away from your own brain, its dangerous to you and everyone else.

katt.

:giggle: You find good word because I like that word... :giggle:

Meg said:
Not quite.....most are still marrying or remarrying. It is hard for the majority to give up the idea of marriage.

But domestic violence occurs in relationships, not just marriages. So I don't see any chance of it decreasing in future years.

:gpost:

It's not necassary for me to add my post here because I'm agree with everyone here especially Angel's information.

*sigh*

To get back to the thread's original issue... I firmly believe in the vows "To love, honor and cherish till death do us part." I grew up in a large family yet none of my family members have divorced, quite an oddity in these times. I absolutely believe in the sancitity of marriage, but even I would divorce a spouse for the two primary dealbreakers: Adultery and abuse. Yes, I made a vow, but so did the other person standing up at the altar, and if they cast aside that vow and dishonor it... I consider it broken by the offender, not the partner filing for divorce.

Now, Miss P, (Hypothetically speaking, as I'm not married) If I discovered my husband was HIV positive or had AIDS, whether or not I stayed with him would depend on how he contracted it. If he had cheated on me during our marriage and thumbed his nose at everything I valued... I would probably leave him, but if this was contracted through other means, I'd be there for him in sickness and in health. I might stay regardless, this really isn't a cut and dried issue, but I absolutely would not leave someone if they had not broken their vows to love, honor and cherish. Wouldn't you want the same devotion from your partner?

Saline Eyes said:
To get back to the thread's original issue... I firmly believe in the vows "To love, honor and cherish till death do us part." I grew up in a large family yet none of my family members have divorced, quite an oddity in these times. I absolutely believe in the sancitity of marriage, but even I would divorce a spouse for the two primary dealbreakers: Adultery and abuse. Yes, I made a vow, but so did the other person standing up at the altar, and if they cast aside that vow and dishonor it... I consider it broken by the offender, not the partner filing for divorce.

Now, Miss P, (Hypothetically speaking, as I'm not married) If I discovered my husband was HIV positive or had AIDS, whether or not I stayed with him would depend on how he contracted it. If he had cheated on me during our marriage and thumbed his nose at everything I valued... I would probably leave him, but if this was contracted through other means, I'd be there for him in sickness and in health. I might stay regardless, this really isn't a cut and dried issue, but I absolutely would not leave someone if they had not broken their vows to love, honor and cherish. Wouldn't you want the same devotion from your partner?

Right, back to the topics, I am not reading those criticizing posts, but
I appreciate them for adding unnecessary replies to my thread. :nono:
If husband got AIDS by drugs using needle, sex outside marriage, or whatever unholy reason, then I won't be with him.... :squint:
but if husband got AIDS from infected blood donors or accident from doctors or something.... then I will stay with him, but that is rare. But I hope he
win a lot of money by suing. :wiggle:
And nope, I won't marry someone with AIDS.... but
if that someone was being dishonest and not tell me he had AIDS before
the wedding, then I will have the marriage annullment. :(

Back