30 years old, from Massachusetts, hearing (dont hold it against me lol)

auralynn23

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a 30 year old mother of 2 beautiful children, all hearing. I've been studying ASL and Deaf Culture for a few years and have recently begun looking for a job as a teachers aide at a Deaf School. I went through my first interview this week and I honestly don't know how it went. I KNOW I have good signing skills (well, at least I THINK I do.. Halfway decent anyway... The interview definitely did not reflect me signing at my best and I DO KNOW that my ASL skills are better than THAT) However, I have very little experience signing with people and seeing people signing. I have looked EVERYWHERE for some place to gain more exposure to the Deaf and ASL so I can not only meet new people, but gain more experience and confidence in my communication skills. There does not seem to be anything in my area. There's 1 or 2 every so often in Boston (Not really near me at all) and a Deaf church in Worcester (about 30 minutes drive from me) which I was attending while I was in school, but I stopped going for many reasons, but mostly because I am honestly not a church person, and I felt a little uncomfortable, though the people there were VERY nice and I'd have no trouble being with them outside of the religious setting. I'd gladly take any advice or suggestions on where to find people in my area :) I've tried so many searches online and I don't know any other way of looking.

Back