3 Month Appointment

ptcallaghan

Reaction score
Well I had quite a Friday yesterday.

I had my 3 month post activation appointment with the CI audiologist. This appt consisted of a variety of hearing tests both unaided and with the CI.

The unaided test was the normal "beep" test which indicated I am still losing hearing in my right (unimplanted) ear, which I was suspicious of. This ear has been been slowly getting worse and may eventually end up completely deaf but I am still getting some frequencies partially. My left (implanted) ear is holding steady with a .... loss. This is the same as it was at my initial activation appt so it is holding steady for now. So for those doubters....yes newer techniques are capable of preserving some residual hearing in the implanted ear.

As for my aided tests...and these are the exciting ones....

They dont bother with the beeps with the CI as they are more concerned with the speech comprehension. I did a set of "easy" sentences in silence and then again in noise, then I did a long set of words and finally followed it up with a "harder" set of sentences in silence then in noise. Here are my results......

HINT 60dB - 100% correct
HINT 60dB + 5dB (noise) 97% correct

CNC 60dB (word) 88% (phoneme) 94%

AZBIO 60 dB 97%
AZBIO 60dB + 5dB noise 99%

my preimplant HINT results (with my hearing aid) was 24% but they were all words like `the`and ànd`, words that dont give any meaning to the sentence.

So as you can see.....pretty flippin amazing...I am walking on cloud nine right about now.

The audiologist was just flabbergasted as she apparently has never seen a score that high....my fiance was sitting out in the room with her and she thought there was no way i would get the sentences but I chugged right through them...I guess the normal for the CNC test is somewhere around 50%..

So yah thats all.....and I pretty much only need to go back for my annual appts now..

Congrats! I love knowing that I score at least 97% each and every time with my right.. my left.. i fail lol.

I've never liked those hearing tests.

It's the beeping part that annoys me. I'll hear the beep so much that my head starts to repeat it on its own. So, I'll end up pushing the button when there was really no beep. :(

I hate the tests, with the bad tinnitus i have i never know when the beeps are either lol

I know what you mean...without the CI, I have constant tinitus seemingly in both ears. It is hard to drown it out to listen for the beeps....I'm always like was that a beep ...nope just the ringing.

If i am not sure if i heard a beep or just brain tricking me. I press button anyways. I figure if they didn't make the beep, then they would know it's my brain fooling me..

Back