3-d cake

S0rceress0

Reaction score
I didn't see a specific "cooking" topic, if there is one please let me know I'll move this post.

I've been asking everyone about this. Each year for my sons birthday I make the cake for his present. The past few years have turned out pretty darn good. Dragons, alligators, etc.
This year he would like a Stegasaurus. Standing up.
I've never attempted a big 3-d cake, last year came close, an alligator chomping down on a snake.
Has anyone ever attempted something like this? Got any ideas or tips? I'm going to hike on over to Michael's to see what they might have in the way of something to hold up the main body. I suspect I'll have to make the support structure.
Now this is a nice one:
Google Image Result for http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DmAC8y8bp4Y/SeKtnH49GNI/AAAAAAAACDc/rlP_mgeXo80/s400/Stego2.jpg
But I also suspect I wont be THAT good.

wow!!!! I wouldnt even know where to begin.

That cake looks real!

Show us some pics of your past cakes? I cannot make them, but I am very good at eating them. :)

Wow! That Stegasaurus cake looks impressive but tricky to make. That's a lot of bulk to be supported by the little legs. Are there cake-making tricks for that? Or could you modify it by placing a pile of "rocks" or a "fern" under his belly for extra support?

I can't bake worth a hoot so I greatly admire those who can. :) I have friends who are professional cake designers and decorators, and I'm in awe of them.

wow...that is a tough one! I know one lady here she make those kind of cakes...for me? Umm probably fall apart! LOL! Good luck! Why not call Duff, Ace of Cake (I think) or Buddy up (Cake Boss)?!

Oh, hmm. Do you use a lot of sugar on the cake? I know it tastes so good with sugar especially for children. I mean not adding too much sweet in it. Some or little sweet should be okay.

I have never tried to use the honey instead of sugar because honey is natural sugar. I am just thinking about it someday for an experiment by starting small one to see if it tastes better.

Actually, I used to make a banana homemade bread with honey. It was very good. I don't know if it would work with the cake.

If you plan to make a 3-D cake, I bet that it would take four or five hours to create it. A long time ago, my mother and her friend made a wedding cake, and it was the hardest job. It seems to me that it would be about the same for the 3-D for sure.

This might be cheating, but could you start with 4 toilet paper rolls (just the cardboard) with a cardboard platform and then bake a few 9x13 sheet cakes and carve from there? You could decorate the legs and use paper mache for the underbelly prior to putting the cake on it.

Mod note:

Thread's moved from General Chat to Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food.

Wow! That Stegasaurus cake looks impressive but tricky to make. That's a lot of bulk to be supported by the little legs. Are there cake-making tricks for that? Or could you modify it by placing a pile of "rocks" or a "fern" under his belly for extra support?

I can't bake worth a hoot so I greatly admire those who can. :) I have friends who are professional cake designers and decorators, and I'm in awe of them.

The legs could be some kind cookies or the Stegasaurus could be sitting down on it legs!
I would hate to cut into that cake , it too cool to eat!

The legs could be some kind cookies or the Stegasaurus could be sitting down on it legs!
I would hate to cut into that cake , it too cool to eat!

Ikr! Cutting into something that pretty seems a bit heinous.

Sitting down is not an option unless all fails. I did go out and get a piece of thin craft plywoood. I'll shape it to the body interior and put it on wooden pegs for the legs. I like Paperclip's idea of paper mache for the belly. It would be lighter and easier to glue to the bottom of the wood than rice krispies

I weighed a box of pre-rolled fondant in my hands yesterday and WOW is it heavy. How Ace of Cakes or Cake boss manages to put this stuff on cakes and NOT have it fall down is beyond me. There's no way a simple piece of craft plywood is going to hold that so I'm going with Royal icing which will harden up and I can color to my own liking.

If it does fail and the poor thing falls flat, I'll stick a spear through it and put a little figure on top of it and hope that my son finds it amusing lol.

Ikr! Cutting into something that pretty seems a bit heinous.

Sitting down is not an option unless all fails. I did go out and get a piece of thin craft plywoood. I'll shape it to the body interior and put it on wooden pegs for the legs. I like Paperclip's idea of paper mache for the belly. It would be lighter and easier to glue to the bottom of the wood than rice krispies

I weighed a box of pre-rolled fondant in my hands yesterday and WOW is it heavy. How Ace of Cakes or Cake boss manages to put this stuff on cakes and NOT have it fall down is beyond me. There's no way a simple piece of craft plywood is going to hold that so I'm going with Royal icing which will harden up and I can color to my own liking.

If it does fail and the poor thing falls flat, I'll stick a spear through it and put a little figure on top of it and hope that my son finds it amusing lol.

I like your spirit ! Killing off the cake if it fail!! LOL !!

Here is the alligator cake from last year

alligatorcake.jpg

alligatorcake2.jpg

Wow, cool gator! Love the big, yellow, candy corn teeth and claws. Bet your little one loved it a lot.

aw, I"m just hungry looking at the cake =/ I do sure want some gators to chomp on ;)

Back