2 questions study advice for school

H.o.H_Angel

Reaction score
I have hard time focusing and it makes me get B's. I can't always be at school it doesn't fit in with schedule. I just go to my classes and then have to leave. Any, advice on how to get straight A's? I have lots of math classes too, but I don't like math. How do I make math fun? Or any advice on studying better would help. Thank you. :wiggle:

If you're reading your math book and they're going to show you how to do a problem, don't read the explanation at first. Just read and write down the problem, put the book away, and try to figure out how to do it. When you're done trying (either because you think you got it, or because you couldn't do it) *then* read what they have to say. It should be a little more interesting because you tried it yourself, and some part of your brain is asking "did I get it right?" or "how do you do this?"

I'm not saying that will make it fun, because you don't like math, but it might make it slightly less boring. Also, if you try to do it yourself first, that curiosity you create will make it easier to remember what you read when you finally look at the explanation.

Other advice: be patient with yourself. Learning math can be a slow process, but rewarding as you start to make accomplishments and increase your skills and understanding. If you try to rush and are hard on yourself, beat yourself up, you will probably learn less, get frustrated, maybe give up on parts of it.

Also, let me know if you want some help. (Just to help you learn: not to do your homework or anything like that.) I've taught alot of math:0

What are your math classes?

Sort of like when a person is learning ASL: if they just go into class or look at their book and getting information dumped into their head: here's how you sign this, here's some vocabulary, here's some grammatical structural stuff, etc., they might comprehend, but they probably don't retain very well. It's just a bunch of stuff getting dumped into their brains, why would they remember it? But if they think of something they want to say, and ask themselves: "how do I sign this?" and try to figure it out or research it, and then bring their question to class, *that* piece of signing they're likely to remember much better, you know?

I think there are alot of commonalities between learning math and learning a language. There is information you need to become aware of, but then you need to get good at using that information: you need to develop skill at applying techniques, and you have to develop a sense of when to do what. There is active skill (like expressive) when you solve a problem, and there is something more like receptive when you try to understand what a problem is asking you.

I mention this commonality because I saw a post recently where you mentioned that you've helped some people with their ASL. So I figure you're familiar with that learning process. When I was in grad school, I often helped myself learn by thinking of what I do when I'm teaching and a challenge comes up, and I helped myself teach by thinking of some of my struggles as a student. I think it's a big advantage to be teaching things and learning things at the same time, because you have both perspectives at your disposal. So maybe you can take advantage of that. Ok. I'm going to *try* to stop hogging your thread now.

Lol thank you for posting. It's ok you're not hogging the thread. Yeah, I've helped people before with sign. I was a tutor on my campus for a while, but it got too complicated when a lot of students don't show up for their times or something comes up on my end. Math is complicated my teacher has us taking 3 chapters every session. It's fast pace. We have to take Algebra, Geometry and Statistics. :/

3 chapters every session? How long is a session?

OH! A session, like in one sitting. That is intense. Algebra, Geometry, and Statistics: not all at the same time I hope? Anyway, if you get stuck on any of them, feel free to PM me.

Back