2% positive on welfare drug testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nawwww, wouldn't touch the stuff any more. :P

Nor would I. I have never used hard drugs and I've smoked pot exactly once in my life.

Nor would I. I have never used hard drugs and I've smoked pot exactly once in my life.

Good. Keep that up. If I told you my drug history, you would write me off as brain-fried. :giggle:

Wirelessly posted (droid)

The kids' use of inhalants is very troubling. Probably the most damaging thing for a developing brain.

Using the numbers that the link gave...

32 failed
7,028 passed
1,597 did not take it

For the sake of being conservative, let's assume ALL of those who did not take it would have failed the drug test.

This would mean 18% of welfare recipients do drugs.

8,657 applicants over the course of 3 months (2,886 a month on avg). Assuming the # of applicants are approximately the same throughout the year and a recipient gets $700 a month (again, very conservative number, most get less than half of that), FL has saved....

4.4M per year. (more likely to be half of this since I used very conservative numbers)

Worth it?

At what cost?

Of course... I didn't factor in how much the government is actually paying people to administer the drug tests, as well as the drug tests... hopefully, it's way less than 4.4M! Otherwise... the whole thing is so pointless.

The one thing you cannot calculate with mathematics; that many people would have the state spend $10,000,000 just to keep $2,000,000 from being sent to welfare recipients that might spend it on drugs. It is just a matter of principle for them. Logic goes out the window.

Using the numbers that the link gave...

32 failed
7,028 passed
1,597 did not take it

For the sake of being conservative, let's assume ALL of those who did not take it would have failed the drug test.

This would mean 18% of welfare recipients do drugs.

8,657 applicants over the course of 3 months (2,886 a month on avg). Assuming the # of applicants are approximately the same throughout the year and a recipient gets $700 a month (again, very conservative number, most get less than half of that), FL has saved....

4.4M per year. (more likely to be half of this since I used very conservative numbers)

Worth it?

At what cost?

Of course... I didn't factor in how much the government is actually paying people to administer the drug tests, as well as the drug tests... hopefully, it's way less than 4.4M! Otherwise... the whole thing is so pointless.

Agree with everything here.

Also not figured in is how many didn't even apply because they knew a drug test was required. No way to guess at that number though.

I prefer a hybrid of Kentucky Bluegrass and Northern California Sensemilla :)

Sounds like something I can't handle. :lol:
I don't smoke weed any more, but I don't mind if others do. A cop would rather deal with potheads than crackheads, you know?

Sounds like something I can't handle. :lol:
I don't smoke weed any more, but I don't mind if others do. A cop would rather deal with potheads than crackheads, you know?

I borrowed the line from Caddyshack. The joke is you can play 36 holes on it during the day and get stoned out of your mind at night. :lol:

A few days ago a friend went to the doctor to get some pain medication for her broken ankle. She tested positive for weed and they refused to give her a prescription. WTF???
But yesterday she went in again and tested clean, and got the meds she needed. She said the last time she toked was about three or four weeks ago (I forget which) and is still upset over the refusal the first time. I agree with her, since it makes no sense.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Doctors test for pot? I had no idea.

Agree with everything here.

Also not figured in is how many didn't even apply because they knew a drug test was required. No way to guess at that number though.

I would think that the number of applicants over the years before the drug test was implemented would be a good indicator?

A few days ago a friend went to the doctor to get some pain medication for her broken ankle. She tested positive for weed and they refused to give her a prescription. WTF???
But yesterday she went in again and tested clean, and got the meds she needed. She said the last time she toked was about three or four weeks ago (I forget which) and is still upset over the refusal the first time. I agree with her, since it makes no sense.

Doctors are being careful now with Narcotics, since she smoked pot it shows she has a tendancy to abuse drugs, and Narcotic pain pills have a high tendency to be abused.

ALSO it is the Doctors right wheather he wants to issued and Rx for Narcotics or not.

I do believe that pot smoking can and will lead to harder drugs with a lot of people. Prescription drugs are the worst.

So it seems as if ur friend knew to drink the cleansing potion and lots of water to cleanse her system out before trying to get the pain pills the next time.

I agree with the doctor...sorry to say. If she was in chronic pain with a disease, I can see the pain pills. Even when I had a biopsy for cancer on my hand, it was very painful and throbbed all the time...my doctor would not prescribe pain pills until after my surgery. And also, I have Chlosteatoma of my left ear, and it's painful at times, and no pain pills were prescribed, not until after my surgery in a few weeks.

Seems to me, that some people want a pill for every little pain they have. A little pain is part of life, you know?

Addiction to drugs is a bad habit as it leads to many hazardous diseases, the percentile of addicts as per the records should not increase.

I do believe that pot smoking can and will lead to harder drugs with a lot of people.

My theory is that people that are willing to try pot are predisposed to trying other drugs. Pot does not make them more willing, IMO.

I do believe that pot smoking can and will lead to harder drugs with a lot of people. Prescription drugs are the worst.

So it seems as if ur friend knew to drink the cleansing potion and lots of water to cleanse her system out before trying to get the pain pills the next time.

I agree with the doctor...sorry to say. If she was in chronic pain with a disease, I can see the pain pills. Even when I had a biopsy for cancer on my hand, it was very painful and throbbed all the time...my doctor would not prescribe pain pills until after my surgery. And also, I have Chlosteatoma of my left ear, and it's painful at times, and no pain pills were prescribed, not until after my surgery in a few weeks.

Seems to me, that some people want a pill for every little pain they have. A little pain is part of life, you know?

First of all, I know my friend and she did not use any "cleansing potion." She is not a drug user except for a rare tokes from jays. Second of all, pain is a part of life? Nonsense. She had a broken ankle and has a right to get relief from the pain, and if she shops around until she finds a doctor willing to prescribe painkillers, more power to her.

First of all, I know my friend and she did not use any "cleansing potion." She is not a drug user except for a rare tokes from jays. Second of all, pain is a part of life? Nonsense. She had a broken ankle and has a right to get relief from the pain, and if she shops around until she finds a doctor willing to prescribe painkillers, more power to her.

Agreed.

Judge Blocks Welfare Drug Testing Law - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville
ORLANDO, Fla. -- A federal judge has blocked Florida's controversial new law requiring that welfare applicants pass a drug test to receive benefits.
Judge Mary Scriven issued the temporary injunction Monday. The American Civil Liberties Union had filed a lawsuit against the state last month calling the law unconstitutional. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of a 35-year-old Navy veteran and single father who is finishing his college degree.
Nearly 1,600 applicants have refused to take the test since it began in mid-July. They aren't required to explain why.
Applicants must pay $25 to $35 for the test and are reimbursed by the state if they pass.
The ACLU said Florida was the first to enact the law since Michigan tried more than a decade ago.

When are people going to understand. They do NOT test people in Florida for drugs for FOOD STAMPS. They only test them for drugs if they are applying for CASH ASSISTANCE.

Florida Department of Children and Families

There is a reason for that. You can only qualify for cash assistance if you have children. Children's Services is a branch of Jobs and Family Services. They are using it as a reason to investigate the homes that the children are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back