2% positive on welfare drug testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

posts from hell

Reaction score
Welfare drug-testing yields 2% positive results | TBO.com

Any savings?? Nein. Waste of money, bureaucracy and time.

Fail right here:
According to the 2009 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, performed by the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services, 8.7 percent of the population nationally over age 12 uses illicit drugs. The rate was 6.3 percent for those ages 26 and up.

A 2008 study by the Office of National Drug Control Policy also showed that 8.13 percent of Floridians age 12 and up use illegal drugs.

Sooo... people on welfare are 3 times less likely to use drugs.

That proves that most aren't on drugs as conservatives try to portray them, eh?

I don't know about this. A lot of information are being left out.

2% failed
2% didn't complete the applications - why?

This is based on only apprx 1,000 people taking the test since they begun testing in mid-July - only one month of testing, and they expect to continue testing 1,500 more per month. 1,000 people isn't enough of a sample size to determine the true percentage especially when logic dictates that the ones who do drugs would attempt to procrastinate/avoid the drug test.

I'm not saying that this report is false. Just saying that it's a little too early to come to conclusions on this. Give it 6 months and apprx 10K people tested, and we would be much closer to the true statistic.

2% failed

This is based on only apprx 1,000 people taking the test since they begun testing in mid-July - only one month of testing, and they expect to continue testing 1,500 more per month. 1,000 people isn't enough of a sample size to determine the true percentage especially when logic dictates that the ones who do drugs would attempt to procrastinate the drug test.

I'm not saying that this report is false. Just saying that it's a little too early to come to conclusions on this. Give it 6 months and apprx 10K people tested, and we would be much closer to the true statistic.

Suppose that 2% that did not complete the apps was all addicts, still the welfare pool of people being drug addicts is lower than the norm. How do you explain that?

Suppose that 2% that did not complete the apps was all addicts, still the welfare pool of people being drug addicts is lower than the norm. How do you explain that?

I am not trying to argue against this report. I'm just pointing out that this is insufficient sample size to make judgements on. Give it a bit of time to accumulate more results. If the percentage remains the same, therefore, the tests are a waste of time. If not, then this report was written prematurely.

They don't live in the Valley of the Dolls. Most of my rich friends are always on something.

THEY CHEATED IT.

I KNEW IT. You know that those people on Facebook say I know how to cheat drug test for jobs or these.

I am sure it should be been 10% cause everybody cheated on it.

Oh by way I love how I see Former Michigan people in Florida and sudden moving to Texas before Florida post new law. ADMIT you use drugs stop lied yourself and keep your mouth close to avoid show anyone of your badly decoy rot teeth.

THEY CHEATED IT.

I KNEW IT. You know that those people on Facebook say I know how to cheat drug test for jobs or these.

Oh by way I love how I see Former Michigan people in Florida and sudden moving to Texas before Florida post new law. ADMIT you use drugs stop lied yourself and keep your mouth close to avoid show anyone of your badly decoy rot teeth.

Even people who eat poppy seeds can fail a drug test.

Besides, what makes you so sure that they cheated the test? What percentage would you say actually are drug users?

They don't live in the Valley of the Dolls. Most of my rich friends are always on something.

That old stereotype of the drug addict and/or abuser being poor and urban and black is such an inaccuracy. I have said it more than once in these threads. People just want to believe that it is that group so they will be exempt from the risk.

THEY CHEATED IT.

And what were you under the influence of when you made that post?:shock:

2% failed

This is based on only apprx 1,000 people taking the test since they begun testing in mid-July - only one month of testing, and they expect to continue testing 1,500 more per month. 1,000 people isn't enough of a sample size to determine the true percentage especially when logic dictates that the ones who do drugs would attempt to procrastinate/avoid the drug test.

1000 people is a large enough sample to have good predictive value. I say the percentage is going to hold true and would expect no more than + - one standard deviation in future reports.

That old stereotype of the drug addict and/or abuser being poor and urban and black is such an inaccuracy. I have said it more than once in these threads. People just want to believe that it is that group so they will be exempt from the risk.

The boy next door to me who died of a crack overdose was not a poor black. He wasn't even black either. My neighborhood that I grew up in is considered a rich area.

The boy next door to me who died of a crack overdose was not a poor black. He wasn't even black either. My neighborhood that I grew up in is considered a rich area.

**nodding** I have no trouble believing that at all.

1000 people is a large enough sample to have good predictive value. I say the percentage is going to hold true and would expect no more than + - one standard deviation in future reports.

I love statistics, and know a thing or two about it (not saying I'm always right on this but will be close enough). I looked up the estimated number of people on welfare in Florida for 2010, and found it to be around 100K people.

In order to have 1 +/- standard deviation, with 95% confidence level for 100K people, the survey would need to have 8,763 people tested. That's 8 times more than 1,000 people. It gets higher if you want 99% confidence level.

So all those people that passed the drug test has to be reembursed. A waste of our taxpayers money, since they never should have been tested in the first place.

They cannot afford the drugs!

Has anyone considered that maybe most people on drugs are smart enough to not apply for benefits where a drug test is required, knowing they won't pass? I'm kind of wondering why those 2% were stupid enough to do it. Must be the drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back