2 parents with newly diagnosed deaf baby

I wrote you a nice long post that got deleted.

You don't like the outcome because you are terribly biasised and it scares you.

If it is one study, Deafdyke is right. I learned the same from my research and methodology class at the graduate level.

If it is one study, Deafdyke is right. I learned the same from my research and methodology class at the graduate level.

Not just one study, but when people don't like what they hear, they look for excuses.

Not just one study, but when people don't like what they hear, they look for excuses.

If it is one study, it doesnt generalize to a population. That is what I learned from my research and methodology classes. Have you ever taken one of those classes..just curious.

yes can we please help put this poor kids parents at else by letter them know the kid can lead a normal life.

Last edited:
Why would they have reason to think anything else? And what in this thread says otherwise?

You went into a CI debate in an introduction thread and that can sometimes turn people off. Let them find the debates and participate on their own and not have it stuck in where they are trying to introduce themselves.

You went into a CI debate in an introduction thread and that can sometimes turn people off. Let them find the debates and participate on their own and not have it stuck in where they are trying to introduce themselves.

Actually, several people wrote derogatory things about CI's way before I posted. I just chose to correct the misinformation. And let's get real, 9 out of 10 parents with children who are candidates get a CI. No "debate" here will undo that.

Actually, several people wrote derogatory things about CI's way before I posted. I just chose to correct the misinformation. And let's get real, 9 out of 10 parents with children who are candidates get a CI. No "debate" here will undo that.

Not many people I have spoken to will even consider a CI for their child. I am talking about a large city here in Florida. CI's are NOT very common here and are mostly implanted on adults and then never used for the most part. One person mentioned that the humidity here was not good for them. I don't know - I don't have one - I can't get one - and if I did, I would refuse. My opinion and I don't push it onto others.

Not many people I have spoken to will even consider a CI for their child. I am talking about a large city here in Florida. CI's are NOT very common here and are mostly implanted on adults and then never used for the most part. One person mentioned that the humidity here was not good for them. I don't know - I don't have one - I can't get one - and if I did, I would refuse. My opinion and I don't push it onto others.

For Florida, do you have any numbers on CI implantation of babies 5 yrs and younger? I think that, globally, this is now the age bracket where there's the greatest number of implantations.

For Florida, do you have any numbers on CI implantation of babies 5 yrs and younger? I think that, globally, this is now the age bracket where there's the greatest number of implantations.

I don't have the numbers and wouldn't know where to begin to find them. I am only going by what I have heard from the deaf center, my deaf club and a few other places that I have been that are geared toward the hoh/deaf in this area.

Back