2 NTID students to be featured in national TV show

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
2 NTID students to be featured in national TV show | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle

Two Rochester Institute of Technology-National Technical Institute for the Deaf students will appear on national television Friday night to expose the problem of discrimination against the deaf.

The students, including Brighton High School graduate Hannah Worek, will appear as actors on ABC’s What Would You Do? The show will feature a segment on deaf discrimination.

According to NTID, a producer flew to Rochester in December to interview students about the barriers they face daily, including finding jobs. For the show, which airs at 9 p.m., the students attempted to apply for jobs, but were told they wouldn’t be hired because they are deaf.

NTID President Gerry Buckley will also briefly appear in the segment.

Well, it is about time we need to have discussion on the discrimination of Deaf and Hard of Hearing people finding employment in the hearing world. No one want to hire us like office skills or working as a construction worker just because we are deaf and not able to handle the job. I do hope the show will teach hearing people to accept us as we are capable of handling the job. :fingersx:

To be honest, I've never faced any job discrimination just for being deaf except once...but that was just for a retail salesperson position I was trying to get when I was just about 14-15 years old looking for her first job. The store managers didn't say it outright, but I can kinda feel/guess....

However, in all of my later job search and employment, my employers and colleagues were very understanding and accommodating about me being deaf, including this current job I just started this week. I was so impressed that they had immediately worked on my accommodation issues/requests, even providing a captel phone right away on the first day of job after I pointed out that I couldn't use the regular phone! And there was this upcoming large seminar I wanted to attend, and instead of me attending the seminar, they offered to send a person to do one-on-one session with me so they can make sure I can get it! In a meeting I had today and couple of days ago with my supervisor, she also went out of her way to make sure I can understand her and asked me to not to hesitate to let her know if I don't understand anything she said. :D :D :D But I point out that nearly all of my previous and current jobs are very heavily technical research/laboratory orientated compared to administrative, non-technical, retail, etc type jobs.

Deaf people who are oral probably face less discrimination due to having oral skills. I noticed that the more a deaf person acts hearing, the less discrimination they face. I have seen too much of a pattern out there.

It is a shame that hearing society puts so much importance on what comes out and in our ears and mouth.

Well, it is about time we need to have discussion on the discrimination of Deaf and Hard of Hearing people finding employment in the hearing world. No one want to hire us like office skills or working as a construction worker just because we are deaf and not able to handle the job. I do hope the show will teach hearing people to accept us as we are capable of handling the job. :fingersx:

Amen!

I was once told I couldn't work at McDonald's. They cited my deafness as a health hazard. I was 15 at the time this occurred.

Stupid, I know.

Deaf people who are oral probably face less discrimination due to having oral skills. I noticed that the more a deaf person acts hearing, the less discrimination they face. I have seen too much of a pattern out there.

It is a shame that hearing society puts so much importance on what comes out and in our ears and mouth.

yeah , i agree.

Although I'm an hearing person I'm glad that finally some light is shed on the discrimination of deaf and hard of hearing people that are looking for employment. It will give us a chance to see what goes on.

I don't see anything wrong with having oral skills, even a good oral skills. Just because I speak doesn't mean I don't consider myself deaf and I will still need accommodations for my job anywhere I go. Again, all of my employers and colleagues were very understanding of certain things I can't do, including using the regular phone often to call people.

I believe that deafies would face less discrimination in a meritocratic system....such as the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). Most technical jobs like these are all about what you know and can do--related to the job. Depending on the nature of the STEM jobs, you don't even need perfect fluency in spoken English (My father was just starting to learn English when he was a scientist working for an US national laboratory, and was able to outperform the expectations set for him). So, I think there should be stronger advocate and incentive for the deaf and disabled to consider a potential career in the STEM, especially this nation is in high demand for more of such people rather than keeping importing foreigners to here to do the jobs.

"10 politicians are worth 1 scientist"--President of USA in the movie 2012.

Not if you have a deaf voice. I can't count the number of times I've applied for a job, and opened my mouth, just to have some dumbassed Middle Manager assume I'm intellectucally handicapped b/c of my deaf voice.
Also, jillo mentioned that oral people are more likely to be unemployed then signing people.

I don't see anything wrong with having oral skills, even a good oral skills. Just because I speak doesn't mean I don't consider myself deaf and I will still need accommodations for my job anywhere I go. Again, all of my employers and colleagues were very understanding of certain things I can't do, including using the regular phone often to call people.

I believe that deafies would face less discrimination in a meritocratic system....such as the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). Most technical jobs like these are all about what you know and can do--related to the job. Depending on the nature of the STEM jobs, you don't even need perfect fluency in spoken English (My father was just starting to learn English when he was a scientist working for an US national laboratory, and was able to outperform the expectations set for him). So, I think there should be stronger advocate and incentive for the deaf and disabled to consider a potential career in the STEM, especially this nation is in high demand for more of such people rather than keeping importing foreigners to here to do the jobs.

"10 politicians are worth 1 scientist"--President of USA in the movie 2012.

I grew up oral-only and always was able to get the jobs I have applied for. However, for my brother who has no oral skills, he had a harder time. I didnt think too much about it until I got involved with the Deaf community and saw a pattern. It is bullshit!

Not if you have a deaf voice. I can't count the number of times I've applied for a job, and opened my mouth, just to have some dumbassed Middle Manager assume I'm intellectucally handicapped b/c of my deaf voice.
Also, jillo mentioned that oral people are more likely to be unemployed then signing people.

I find this interesting.......

Yep. I saw that. I was so dissappointed in the lack of intervention.

There were three HR professionals who told the "manager" character how to turn down a deaf person for employment without being sued. If I remember correctly one quote was "Those people have all kinds of rights, just take the application and then dont call".

One woman looked disgusted and huffed out. One man was very outspoken and angry.

The segment before dealt with racial profiling. Many people did intervene in that one.

You may miss to watch this show last night. You can watch it on youtube.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdzGM464bPY&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited:
Did anyone witnessing the discrimination speak up?

Discrimination, Deaf, The Deaf, Apathy, Deafness, Disability Discrimination

What happened when deaf students recently applying for a job at a coffee shop were met with these comments:

“We don’t hire deaf people here.”
“I’m sure you can do lots of things. But this is not the job for you.”
“The next time you come in here, bring an interpreter.”
“I think you people would rather work with people of your own kind.”

That was the experiment students from Rochester Institute of Technology’s National Technical Institute for the Deaf conducted with ABC’s “What Would You Do?” program. The show uses hidden cameras to depict actors doing controversial things such as breaking into cars or obviously stealing a bicycle, and records what passersby do – or don’t do – when confronted with an ethical dilemma.

“We’re not out to embarrass anyone,” said host John Quinones. “It’s a lesson learned by the viewers at home, to speak up when they see an injustice.”

The 8-minute segment is scheduled to air this Friday (Feb. 4) at 9 p.m. EST on ABC.

Andrew Paparella, a producer for the show, sought suggestions from deaf students, faculty and staff from RIT/NTID to see whether a situation where deaf people were being discriminated against would cause people to speak up. He flew to Rochester in December and met with several students involved in the theater program at NTID. The students talked about what it was like being deaf and challenges they encountered at home finding jobs. They also showed him there’s not one way of being deaf or hard of hearing. Some used their voices; others used their hands to communicate in American Sign Language.

Paparella also interviewed NTID President Gerard Buckley, who talked about NTID’s Center on Employment, which educates prospective employers of deaf workers nationwide about how little accommodations may be needed to hire a deaf employee.

After the meeting in Rochester, ABC hired RIT/NTID students Hannah Worek and Maya Ariel to be actors for the production. The network flew them to Newark, N.J., and gave them a hotel room in nearby Morristown, where they would be pretending to apply for a job opening at a small coffee shop.

An hour before SmartWorld Coffee opened at 7 a.m., Hannah and Maya were among 30 ABC employees crowded in the store. Technicians placed eight hidden cameras in the shop and attached portable microphones to the actors – Hannah and Maya, and two actors who were playing the role of the discriminating manager. A truck with numerous monitors was parked in a rear lot. Crew members camped in the basement of the store as they watched more monitors and checked sound levels. Others – including an undercover police officer, just in case – were posing as customers sitting in the store. And more people were outside in vans waiting with cameras and microphones to approach actual customers who were filmed and may be shown on the show. Each actual customer had to fill out releases after they were told this was a staged scenario. If they didn’t fill out a release, their faces would be blurred out or they wouldn’t be used.

A large “help wanted” sign was placed on the door of the store and another at the counter. When the store filled with actual customers, Maya and Hannah walked in and asked the manager – actor Vince August - for a job application.

“You know what, I’m not going to hire a deaf person, I’ll let you know right now,” he said. “I’m not going to waste your time.”

Actual customers overhearing this rolled their eyes and turned around, but no one said anything until the girls left. Then one woman told August she works in human resources, and he shouldn’t have been specific why he wouldn’t hire them. “You don’t have to hire her, but you need to be careful how you communicate that,” she said. “This is a very litigious society.”

As the day progressed, the actors became more brazen with their discrimination:

“Go ahead and fill out the application. I’m going to write ‘DEAF’ across the top of it.”
“Isn’t there another place you’d feel more comfortable working? I think you’d be more comfortable someplace else.”
“I’m trying to run a business, and that type of impairment would be a nuisance.”
“It would make things uncomfortable for our customers.”
“Is there a deaf school around? Maybe you should find a job there.”
Few customers reacted other than turning their heads or muttering as they walked out the door.

Only three customers throughout the day spoke out when the girls were in the store. One woman said the manager was being rude. A man told the girls, “You really don’t want to work here anyway” before storming out with his coffee. Customer Gerry Tourgee said: “I’m really shocked. And if that’s the case, I’m not buying my coffee here. It’s an affront. It’s an affront to America.”

Some customers were confronted by Quinones about why they didn’t speak up.

“All right. You caught me,” one woman said.

Diana Henry, who portrayed a manager, said she was surprised more people didn’t speak up to defend the girls, “who are struggling so hard to find a voice as it is. I’m a little saddened that it didn’t happen today.”

Paparella was pleased, however.

“I thought the shoot went really well,” he said. “Maya and Hannah exceeded my expectations. They were great. It was really interesting to see the customers’ reactions. I was just really surprised more people didn’t find it outrageous. Either they didn’t take notice of our discrimination, or if they did, they didn’t seem to care

The students agreed and have hopes attitudes will change as a result of the show.

“Look at all people as the same,” Ariel said. “Don’t focus on the differences. Focus on the fact that everyone is equal.”

“I think they should just know that deaf people can do anything pretty much. And don’t be afraid to speak up when you think something’s wrong,” Worek said.

I did watch TV last friday at work. Yeah, that reminds me of a deaf person wrote to say "I used to work as Data Entry Operator, and I have 4 years college degree. I got the job, and found that hearing co-worker has 2 years of college degree and she had better salary than mine even we both are in same job position!! That is not fair... I no longer working for companies. I work for myself as an independent contractor and will start my own business in pet-sitting which is one of the fast growing popular businesses in the USA right now." That was in 2001. That stuck in my head since then. I'd give hearing people fuck because I was in the same situation as hers. I am sorry to say this. Grrrrrr...
That's discrimination!!! This has to stop!!!!

My two brothers and I were talking about this via Skype. My brother said "Makes me want to go there and bitch slap those assholes around." :lol:

And my other brother said "Thank you for sharing that with me. It is a very sad comment that people are so uncaring. Unfortunately, I see it all the time at my job. The other night there was a 4 year boy walking around a parking lot for over 15 minutes before anyone did anything. He was wearing only pajamas on a ten degree night, and he was bleeding. People saw but waited over 15 minutes before calling us. (WTF??? What's wrong with those people??? Geez..) It seems as though employers use any reason to pay people less. If you are a woman, you get paid less, if you have a handicap, you get paid less. It doesn't seem to matter if you can do the job or not. The good thing about my job is that everyone gets paid the same. It is based on years of service. Unfortunately, it would be difficult to have a deaf police officer. I do know several police officers who wear hearing aids, and I even know a police officer with a prosthetic leg. One of my dispatchers has only one hand. The other hand is a nub. He is still a very good dispatcher."

True... *sigh*...

To be honest, I've never faced any job discrimination just for being deaf except once...but that was just for a retail salesperson position I was trying to get when I was just about 14-15 years old looking for her first job. The store managers didn't say it outright, but I can kinda feel/guess....

However, in all of my later job search and employment, my employers and colleagues were very understanding and accommodating about me being deaf, including this current job I just started this week. I was so impressed that they had immediately worked on my accommodation issues/requests, even providing a captel phone right away on the first day of job after I pointed out that I couldn't use the regular phone! And there was this upcoming large seminar I wanted to attend, and instead of me attending the seminar, they offered to send a person to do one-on-one session with me so they can make sure I can get it! In a meeting I had today and couple of days ago with my supervisor, she also went out of her way to make sure I can understand her and asked me to not to hesitate to let her know if I don't understand anything she said. :D :D :D But I point out that nearly all of my previous and current jobs are very heavily technical research/laboratory orientated compared to administrative, non-technical, retail, etc type jobs.

only different that you can speak so well compare to mine which I have limited, cannot speak well.

Back