2 ex-wives fight together for child support

sara1981

Reaction score
2 ex-wives fight together for child support
2 ex-wives fight together for child support - Boston News, Massachusettts News, WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM

BROCKTON, Mass. (WHDH) -- Two ex-wives stood together, asking a judge to make their ex-husband pay almost $500,000 in child support.

They said they've spent more than ten years trying to track down Stephen Cantrell. The 49-year-old man who used to live in Brockton faces six felony charges on failure to pay child support.

The judge in this Brockton court rejected a plea from his attorney that could have meant a reduced penalty.

“He has next to no money. He works as a bartender, makes about 350 dollars a week. He has for the foreseeable past,” said Cantrell’s attorney, Steven Goldwyn.

His ex-wives said they wanted something more aggressive. Cindy Cassidy, his first ex-wife, said she has gone 12 years without a check for their two sons, who are now 22 and 25 years old.

“But we're lucky. As my one son put it, we're a success story because they've done well in spite of not getting the child support that he should have paid all these years,” said Cassidy.

Cantrell has a third son with his second ex-wife, Sharon Cantrell. Corey Cantrell, 17, said it was difficult to come face-to-face with him in court.

“I haven't seen him since I was five so it was just hard to see him. I would ask him why, how could you leave your son…your sons, any of them, I would never do that, ever if I had a kid,” said Corey.

The judge's recommendation today: a two-and-a-half year prison sentence unless Cantrell can provide a check for $50,000, which would reduce his prison time. But for a family, it won't make up for the years lost.

“I started crying when he came in. I just feel sorry that he made a bad decision and that he kept making the bad decision for 12 years,” said Sharon Cantrell.

Do I believe these long-time struggling women will receive a "dime"???...Hell, no!....Friend of mine just had her ex-husband arrested for $55,000 in back support...he sits in jail....

As for 2 and 1/2 years of jail time....that's not enough!...Even tho' the Laws were toughened up years ago about Dead Beat Dads....still many Ladies I know have not received a dime out of their ex-husbands/boyfriends.....

Child Support Enforcement has become a big joke...one friend who had 3 children only received 2 checks...one for $12 and a few cents...the other check for $6.00.....These Dead Beat Dads move from state to state, and work jobs "under the table"....And most states will or do not want to spend the $$ to extract them back to the State where their children live when they are found....

It's a broken system...and the State has to support these children, via Welfare and Food Stamps....That's one of the big main issues as to why we are in such dire straits today....

10 Years of hard labor (if I were a Judge)!....And every penny the offender makes would go towards Child Support.

I would think that if a person work for a company, usually pay check is garnished for child support. I guess that not all states have that law or the company is unaware that the worker owes child support payments.

I would think that if a person work for a company, usually pay check is garnished for child support. I guess that not all states have that law or the company is unaware that the worker owes child support payments.

That's true. But feel the woman has to report the man's name and all information so it will be in the State's computers....sometimes the men do slip thru the cracks...or just work for a few months, then quit and move on...(knowing that they will be caught sooner if they continue working and being paid by check)....

I don't see how it could be $500,000?

Seems there were 3 kids total ??...And child support for all 3...perhaps the chldren opted for college ??...So the parent(s) are supposed to pay...which could run the $$ way up.....Also, feel the State had been supporting these 3 children...welfare & food stamps.....I really don't know, but the Judge ordered him to pay $50,000 to avoid a reduced jail sentence immediately...which of course on a $350.00 weekly pay check bartendering....well, good luck with that!....More than likely, the man drank his way thru his weekly pay check....

Hope they make an example out of him in whatever state he is located....Women have struggled years and years raising their children on their own with no support, while the man goes his way and has more children that he has no intention of supporting....

Two of my boys natural father will be released from Prison this year....and of course, whenever he starts working....the State is going after him...inasmuch as I am!....Abandoning your own flesh and blood should be punishable with the harshest sentence.....

I thought child support only ran until the kids were 18 years old (or graduated high school)?

I thought child support only ran until the kids were 18 years old (or graduated high school)?

I do believe that in some cases, if the child opts to go to College, then the Judge will request both parents to pay for it....Then again...why should a Mother have to pay the full college tuition?....Should be both parents responsibility....This has happened a lot between 2 divorsed people....

And child support never runs out, or ceases if the parent(s) have not supported the child by the age of 18...if the child is even 25...the parent can sue for back support....If one of the parent(s) are in prison, there's nothing that can be done, the State usually helps support the child or children....but once the offending parent(s) gets out of prison and finds a job....then they are responsible to pay back the State.....

I'm not really sure about if a Parent is on SSI or SSDI....and not paying child support....I heard that the State cannot touch any $$ from SSI or SSDI....

I do believe that in some cases, if the child opts to go to College, then the Judge will request both parents to pay for it....Then again...why should a Mother have to pay the full college tuition?....Should be both parents responsibility....This has happened a lot between 2 divorsed people....

And child support never runs out, or ceases if the parent(s) have not supported the child by the age of 18...if the child is even 25...the parent can sue for back support....If one of the parent(s) are in prison, there's nothing that can be done, the State usually helps support the child or children....but once the offending parent(s) gets out of prison and finds a job....then they are responsible to pay back the State.....

I'm not really sure about if a Parent is on SSI or SSDI....and not paying child support....I heard that the State cannot touch any $$ from SSI or SSDI....

My BFF live in Florida for all of his life, his parent got divorced when he was young so his father had to pay child support until he turned 18 so no court mention that his father had to pay when continue into college. I know some students from divorced parents got pell grant to cover the tuition, along with scholarship and charities. My parent won't pay college for me so I had to pay on my own so after 18, it is up to parent, mother or father to pay for college, if not so you have find way to get more support. In most states, especially Florida, when you become 18 so you are ultimate responsible, not parent.

Speaking about wage garnishment on SSI/SSDI, the state can grant to garnish the wage if federal court approve that so have to through the federal court to get approved.

My BFF live in Florida for all of his life, his parent got divorced when he was young so his father had to pay child support until he turned 18 so no court mention that his father had to pay when continue into college. I know some students from divorced parents got pell grant to cover the tuition, along with scholarship and charities. My parent won't pay college for me so I had to pay on my own so after 18, it is up to parent, mother or father to pay for college, if not so you have find way to get more support. In most states, especially Florida, when you become 18 so you are ultimate responsible, not parent.
Speaking about wage garnishment on SSI/SSDI, the state can grant to garnish the wage if federal court approve that so have to through the federal court to get approved.
It depends. My 18 yrs old daughter who is currently a college student is living with me so she only got $1,000 from pell grant because of my good pay. The financial aid office explained that if she doesn't live with me, she would get more. The tuition costs $11,000 for a 10 months dental assistant program which she just started three weeks ago. In other words, she's a dependent student officially.

It doesn't have to be a federal court. A family court has the authority to order it. That's what happened to my ex-brother-in-law who told me about it. His SSDI is about $1,000 per month so during child support, he got around $350 per month from SSDI until his two daughters became 18.

It depends. My 18 yrs old daughter who is currently a college student is living with me so she only got $1,000 from pell grant because of my good pay. The financial aid office explained that if she doesn't live with me, she would get more. The tuition costs $11,000 for a 10 months dental assistant program which she just started three weeks ago. In other words, she's a dependent student officially.

FAFSA is very anal about dependent and independent status, also save taxpayer money for not shell the pell grant to all students, even rich students with a lot of scholarship or families.

I didn't became independent student until 23 when my parent don't want fill the FAFSA with tax due to personal reason.

Max pell grant is $2750 per semester.

No surprise about universities in CA is getting expensive due to state fund cut. Just try apply scholarship as you can for your daughter and student loan should reserved as last option. I know some students live on their own aka off campus but they are still dependent by FAFSA until 24. :ugh:

It doesn't have to be a federal court. A family court has the authority to order it. That's what happened to my ex-brother-in-law who told me about it. His SSDI is about $1,000 per month so during child support, he got around $350 per month from SSDI until his two daughters became 18.

Oh interesting, that's new to me.

Take $650 out of SSDI for child support seems too extreme and it is 65% of SSDI money. :eek3:

It looks like wannabe to have marriage or child, need to think twice about consequence, especially risk to get divorced and have to pay child support.

My father used to pay child support for my step brother from 1983 to 1999.

Oh interesting, that's new to me.

Take $650 out of SSDI for child support seems too extreme and it is 65% of SSDI money. :eek3:

It looks like wannabe to have marriage or child, need to think twice about consequence, especially risk to get divorced and have to pay child support.
Even his ex-wife who is also on SSDI received child benefits for two girls and still expected their dad who lives on SSDI to pay child support under CA law. Right now all she gets is her SSDI alone. No more child benefits and child support since the girls are 18+.

Child Support Enforcement has become a big joke...one friend who had 3 children only received 2 checks...one for $12 and a few cents...the other check for $6.00.....These Dead Beat Dads move from state to state, and work jobs "under the table"....And most states will or do not want to spend the $$ to extract them back to the State where their children live when they are found....QUOTE]

Child Support Enforcement has become a big joke? Yes, they are. My wife's son's biological father is a dead-beat one and hasnt paid support for many years after Court had ordered him to pay specific amount every month. His account with Child Support agency had ballooned into five figure amount.

Case workers and enforcement officers are overwhelmed with number of cases and they simply cannot carry them all to a resolution. The only way is to get a private enforcement company for a 33% fee of the amount recovered. Results we experienced are pretty antoishing and in fact, they had foreclosed real estate property and also took possession on a motor car.

Go private for a nominal fee than waiting for the public agency to perform.

With low pay, he wouldn't live long enough to pay $500,000, if he die at age 70 with cheap crap food.

He earn about $18,200/year. Within 15% pay on child supports, that would be about $75.83 per kid (total $227.50 per month), IF the judge decide.

A friend of mine's girlfriend who was raised by her grandfather. Her mother got child support checks for 18 years, never gave her or her grandfather a penny of it. When she was 16, she asked her mother about it, her mother stopped talking to her.

Back