1st real chat using ASL :D

RacherBunny

Reaction score
:wave:

So today I'm super happy! :D

I was on the bus on my way to work and a woman sits next to me with a guy standing next to her. I was looking out the window of the bus and when I grabbed something out of my purse, I notice the guy was trying to sign to the woman sitting next to me.

He was having trouble signing to her since he was standing up and trying to hold on to the rail, so I waved and signed to him asking if would like my seat. He smiled and signed yes and once we switched spots, he asked if I was deaf. After I signed, "no, I'm hard of hearing" and explained I just started learning ASL, we (the man, his sister and I) had a nice 2 min conversation.

I'm not great at ASL yet, so my ASL was probably not that great, but they understood me and I understood them. :D

I just wanted to share my first real experience signing outside of the classroom. :D

:ty:

This was a really great experience! :D

Especially compared to when I was trying to sign, "see you tomorrow morning" to my husbands deaf aunt 4 years ago. That didn't go too well.

I never used ASL before and was trying to remember how to sign a bunch of phrases from a book all in one night. I mixed up the phrase I was trying to sign with another phrase I had remembered.

Honestly I can't even remember what I actually signed to his aunt, it was some random mix of signs. Her son had to explain to her what happened, and I was really embarrassed. Thankfully, we all thought it was pretty funny and we all laughed about it. :giggle:

Feels great, doesn't it? I haven't yet used ASL outside of places that I've gone to find it. I'm looking forward to my first surprise encounter!

Feels great, doesn't it? I haven't yet used ASL outside of places that I've gone to find it. I'm looking forward to my first surprise encounter!

And it'll happen before you know it. Just stay away from the ones that use pretend sign :lol: (it's happened to me before!)

???

Wow... so how do you deal pseudo-signers?

Sign back to them. :) In a very naughty way that way the people that are unlucky to be drinking at the same time around me laugh. Drinks go through their nose while the pseudo-signer realizes he's outwitted and can't continue.

They will bow their heads down, and wave very low while leaving.

Do you have a favorite phrase you sign to these nincompoops?

If it's too nasty to post, PM me! :giggle:

Do you have a favorite phrase you sign to these nincompoops?

If it's too nasty to post, PM me! :giggle:

Nah, it depends on the situation. Once a dude was being a dumb drunk.. He signed whatever he thought was cool, I said to him while a friend was drinking beer "So you want to be my boyfriend?" he nodded. then beer came directly out of my friends nose.

The dude was like "huh wtf just happened" then another friend of ours told him what I said.. I don't think I've seen anyone leaving house that quick since then.

That's wonderful! Sounds like you had a great conversation. I'm hoping to have the same thing happen to me (I just made a topic about it, haha). It must be a very exciting feeling to put your new language skills to use on the fly. :D

Back