1st HA's

Elliotts Dad

Reaction score
elliottsaudiogram2k.jpg

Here is my soon to be 3yo's audiogram. He gets HA's in 2 weeks, Naida's. I was wondering if someone who has had a toddler get HA's could give some insight on what to expect. He currently has very few intelligible words, even though we often know what he means or is trying to say.

My daughter got her aids at 20 months old. She had a 15 sloping to 65 db loss at the time.

My advice is, be prepared. My daughter took the aids out what felt like CONSTANTLY, and threw them. At one point she took them apart and hid them. That phase lasted for about 2 weeks. After that she loved them and wanted them all the time. So, OUT LAST!!! I called my husband crying, on the last day of the fight, and said "Why did we but her $4000 toys??" Luckily, she figured out how well they worked for her very quickly.

What kind of therapy and preschool do you have lined up? What are your language plans?

My daughter got her aids at 20 months old. She had a 15 sloping to 65 db loss at the time.

My advice is, be prepared. My daughter took the aids out what felt like CONSTANTLY, and threw them. At one point she took them apart and hid them. That phase lasted for about 2 weeks. After that she loved them and wanted them all the time. So, OUT LAST!!! I called my husband crying, on the last day of the fight, and said "Why did we but her $4000 toys??" Luckily, she figured out how well they worked for her very quickly.

What kind of therapy and preschool do you have lined up? What are your language plans?

We hope he takes to them right away but I know there might be some time to get used to them. When we got the earmolds done he was just walking around playing like they werent in there while they setup so hopefully they won't feel too odd for him.

The local AEA got him into preschool at the local elementary a year early. 9 hours a week and 1-2 of that is one-on-one with a SLP and HOH/deaf teacher. We plan on learning some ASL and teaching him that also, at least informally at this point.

9 hours a week and 1-2 of that is one-on-one with a SLP and HOH/deaf teacher. We plan on learning some ASL and teaching him that also, at least informally at this point.
Good. However, I'd contact the Iowa School for the Deaf and see if they can point you towards any local dhh educational programs. The
Dhh and blind/low vision kids really do need educational programs designed especially for our disablity. The AEA may be thinking " oh he's not really deaf. He only needs general early intervention."

Good. However, I'd contact the Iowa School for the Deaf and see if they can point you towards any local dhh educational programs.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that. I hear really good things about ISD and really wished it was closer.

Thanks, I'll definitely do that. I hear really good things about ISD and really wished it was closer.
Oh good. So ISD is really good? How far away is it? It may be a possibilty for Elliot when he's a little older. Are you hooked up with all the various and sundry associations for the dhh in your state? Avoid AG Bell if you can. It's not the best organization out there.....its very audist and very "oh mainstreaming is some glorious utopia with NO downsides!"

Oh good. So ISD is really good? How far away is it? It may be a possibilty for Elliot when he's a little older. Are you hooked up with all the various and sundry associations for the dhh in your state? Avoid AG Bell if you can. It's not the best organization out there.....its very audist and very "oh mainstreaming is some glorious utopia with NO downsides!"

It's 150 miles from them and it was not that great. I think it is getting better.

Des Moines is close to them with good dhh magnet school and a high school program too.

t's 150 miles from them and it was not that great. I think it is getting better.

Des Moines is close to them with good dhh magnet school and a high school program too.
Bott, on the other hand most Deaf School's EI programs are pretty good. Maybe PM Elliot's Dad with info on the dhh magnet program!

We are getting the Naida III SPdaz and I was wondering if anyone has opinions on those good or bad. We have a 90 day trial period if we want to go another direction. Thanks!

Back