18 years old and I want to make a difference

ceshepherd.2012

Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently a college student and I am studying exercise science, one day I hope to become a physical therapist and hopefully I can work with the deaf. As of now I do not really know ASL but I am willing to learn and would love if someone could give me some tips on learning ASL or even help me learn it.

I have been researching Physical Therapy for the Deaf but the only one is in Texas, for some reason I dont see how that is the only one. I am hoping to one day open my own Physical Therapy place where there will be the equipment there to make communication easier between people who can hear to people who are deaf. This way making their bodies better with physical therapy and there experience a lot better.

If you could please comment that would be great! Thanks

I would start with local telephone directory or Google and looking up any ASL courses, then
finding the local Deaf Community and going there, trying to make some friends - there is a lot I am sure of what you call CODA - Children of Deaf Adults who could both sign and speak,
this way you can start learning about the wonderful Deaf Culture, their language,
and practice your ASL on the way.

However, you should be warned, Deaf pple on the account of being often
treated unfairly for just being deaf, usually are distrustful of any newcomers,
particularly if they are hearing and/or don't know ASL fluently.

Be prepared for an uphill battle.

How determined you are, will show the size of the hill :lol:

Best wishes to you :wave:

Fuzzy

What kind of PT are you talking about? Are we talking about PT for kids who are Deaf Plus, or just in general PT?

Hi. Thank you for such a quick response!

deafdyke: I want to work with the deaf, no matter if thats children or adults, wherever I am needed

Audiofuzzy: Thank you for your post, I have heard that about the deaf community but hopefully I can make a difference and I am willing to go on a uphill battle

ALSO! TO EVERYONE READING THIS
I would really like to skype someone around my age who can try to teach me some sign language, that would be great! my name is cshepherd6794

Do you mean that you want to work with people on physical issues who are deaf or are you saying you want to "heal" deaf ears?

No what I mean is I want to become a physical therapist for people who are deaf. If I a, working with a patient and I am holding there leg, there is no way I can hold their leg and sign at the same time so I want to open my own physical therapy place where it has the technology to talk through a headset and it will sign for me. Just another place that will make people feel more comfortable.

You should look into univ of rochester. When I was there,rochester,theschool/hospital had all sorts of programs for health professionals to use asl . Since ntid and a good size deaf population is nearby this would be a good area to explore.

No what I mean is I want to become a physical therapist for people who are deaf. If I a, working with a patient and I am holding there leg, there is no way I can hold their leg and sign at the same time so I want to open my own physical therapy place where it has the technology to talk through a headset and it will sign for me. Just another place that will make people feel more comfortable.

Gotcha. Cool! I really hope it goes well for you. A few of my friends have become PTs and they find it really rewarding. :)

As a blue collar employee and a dirt and street motorcycle rider, I use physical therapy at least 2-3 times a year.. if the therapist knew asl they can easily engage in the therapy and tell me what i need to do.. as opposed to pausing and having me read the pamphlet. And being able to freely express how it feels makes it easier than writing it down.. I supp
ort your ideas.:lol:

Back