16 million U.S. teens have cell phones

Dennis said:
Not to be morbid, but I'm sure a lot of kids have died in cases where if they had a cell phone or pager they would have been alright.
Please explain or give actual examples.

In any case, having immediate access to a telephone instead of "the nearest pay phone" or other land line saves time, increases safety, and makes communication effective not just in emergencies, but in all cases.
Not necessarily. It can create a false feeling of security. Parents might not be as diligent in keeping track of their kids, thinking "oh, he has a cell phone and can call me if something happens."

Also, not every child knows how to make an emergency call from a cell phone. Dialing "9-1-1" is not enough. Does the child know the location? Can he/she give directions to the location?

And nevermind the extra trouble some kids are getting into because of the convenience of this gadget.

Also, not every child knows how to make an emergency call from a cell phone. Dialing "9-1-1" is not enough. Does the child know the location? Can he/she give directions to the location?

Actually, today's technology is advancing and they are now able to pinpoint where the call is being made. But this feature isn't available everywhere, and it's pretty limited since many are only able to pinpoint a call within the first 100 metres. But 100 metres should still make an impact somehow and it will keep on getting better.

But if one is to dismiss the idea of cell phones actually saving lives... obviously one is not concerned enough about the safety of the children. Why make the cops and federal agents work harder when you know that a cell phone can be useful in some situations?

Why not get a cell phone with options like disabling some to prevent your children from dialing different phone numbers other than 911, home, emergency contacts, etc? That would be an advantage for the parents, at least in my opinion it is.

The most important question of this thread:

What does this information about teenage cell phone usage have to do with deaf people like us?

Do we use cell phones? No, unless someone has invented a Captel Mobile Phone.

Are we all teenagers? No.

Are we all even oral? No.

Please elaborate as to how the posted information is relevant to this forum.

Reba said:
Please explain or give actual examples.

Let's see if I can. It's kind of hard to find an article that states, "So-and-so died, but if they had a cell phone, they totally would have been rescued"

Because of the fact that cell phones aren't limited to situations that only the 18 and under crowd get into, let's get some examples:

Strike 1: Attempted kidnapping, kid got away, AND used cell phone pictures to enable the arrest of the person:
http://keithdevens.com/weblog/archive/2003/Aug/02/cell-phone-cam-foils-kidnapper

Strike 2: Kidnapper caught because the 'nappee had a phone
http://www.sptimes.com/2004/12/23/Hernando/Cell_phone_message_le.shtml

Strike 3: Lawmakers in NV recognize that cell phones can save lives
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2003/Apr-15-Tue-2003/news/21110561.html

Not necessarily. It can create a false feeling of security. Parents might not be as diligent in keeping track of their kids, thinking "oh, he has a cell phone and can call me if something happens."

That false sense of security applies to parents today: "Oh, he's at the school, the office will take care of him."

All newer cell phones have location based services. In addition, emergency services are trained to work with the caller to get all the information they need to send emergency vehicles and personnel to the location. It doesn't matter whether it's an adult or a child -- they'll ask the right questions and get the right answers. If it's a situation that not even an adult can give you the right location, how do you expect a child to?

rushabh said:
The most important question of this thread:

What does this information about teenage cell phone usage have to do with deaf people like us?

Do we use cell phones? No, unless someone has invented a Captel Mobile Phone.

Are we all teenagers? No.

Are we all even oral? No.

Please elaborate as to how the posted information is relevant to this forum.

Sidekicks, Blackberries, Treos, Ogos, and Wyndtells are classified as "cell phones." If you really want to be politically correct about it, they're all "handheld wireless communications devices"

From my original post:

According to a research study, quite a few younger Americans are getting cell phones, text pagers, and other wirelress devices to take with them to school, social events, and other places where they aren't directly in contact with their parents or guardians.

Therefore, students at deaf schools, mainstream hard of hearing students, or even CODAs/KODAs are being given 'cell phones' while they're still in elementary/middle/high school.

Is that relevant enough for you?

Reba said:
If the kids are at school, the school office would contact me.

If the kids are at a friend's house, the parents would contact me.

If the kids are on a school field trip, the chaparone will contact me.

If the kids are playing outside, they will scream for me.

Goodness, how did kids survive before the invention of the cell phone?
Right on Reba :thumb:
I personally cannot stand anyone on cellular phones, It is very annoying, Every time I go in a restaurant someone at the front counter talking on their cellular phone while I am waiting and waiting until that person gets off the phone to placed their order. It happens too often. And while they are driving on the roads, not paying attention to the roads they easy go cross my lane where I am driving on or slowing down the traffic. I personally don't agree with teens having cellular phones. If they are not at a friend's house they can find a nearest pay phone and make a call. There are pay phones everywhere. ;)

Has anyone heard of 'Pre-Paid' plans for mobile (cell) phones? I don't think there's such plans implemented in the US of A? There are in Australia and it's great on curbing children's usage of the mobile phone. While on pre-paid, parents can suggest for children to earn towards getting their pre-paid cards paid for the month ( say $20 or $50 a month) -- if they run out of money on that card, then they have to wait until the beginning of the next month to get a 'refill' on their card and having earned it through doing errands or stuff like that. ;)
(good way for money management skill to learn.)

R3na3Blyth3 said:
Has anyone heard of 'Pre-Paid' plans for mobile (cell) phones? I don't think there's such plans implemented in the US of A? There are in Australia and it's great on curbing children's usage of the mobile phone. While on pre-paid, parents can suggest for children to earn towards getting their pre-paid cards paid for the month ( say $20 or $50 a month) -- if they run out of money on that card, then they have to wait until the beginning of the next month to get a 'refill' on their card and having earned it through doing errands or stuff like that. ;)
(good way for money management skill to learn.)

That's a good idea, I'll say.

Dennis said:
Because of the fact that cell phones aren't limited to situations that only the 18 and under crowd get into, let's get some examples
Except the point you are trying to prove is that kids need cell phones to save their lives.

Strike 1: Attempted kidnapping, kid got away, AND used cell phone pictures to enable the arrest of the person
The story showed that the boy's escape was done without using the phone. He only used the phone to get the perp's picture and license. So the phone didn't save his life. I guess the boy could have given a description of the perp and the license number without the picture. Also, not every phone has a camera, and not every camera has a phone. The boy could have used a digital camera or a pencil and paper instead.

Strike 2: Kidnapper caught because the 'nappee had a phone
The victim was not a kid, so the situation doesn't really fit.

Strike 3: Lawmakers in NV recognize that cell phones can save lives
But this story doesn't give any examples of any lives being saved by cell phone use.

I am not saying that a kid will never save his/her life by using a cell phone, but so far I have not seen a need for it.

That false sense of security applies to parents today: "Oh, he's at the school, the office will take care of him."
At school, will a cell phone "take care of him"? Will a cell phone stop a bullet? Will a cell phone prevent an accident on the playground? Will a cell phone lead him out of a burning building?

All newer cell phones have location based services.
Not available everywhere.

Banjo said:
But if one is to dismiss the idea of cell phones actually saving lives... obviously one is not concerned enough about the safety of the children.
What about families who can't afford phones for all their children? I guess if we are really concerned about the safety of children, the government should provide cell phones for every child?

Here's a question for the moms:

I am curious. How long do you think your kids could keep their cell phones before losing or breaking them?

Reba said:
Here's a question for the moms:

I am curious. How long do you think your kids could keep their cell phones before losing or breaking them?

My sister Krissy who is I think 14 or 15, She lost her cell phone once and second time she dropped it in her glass of water. My dad brought her the 3rd cell phone. :roll:

And My brother Doug, I don't think he ever lost his cell phone but he had dropped it on the street and it broke.

As most kids are not responsible for their own nintendo, playstation, x-box etc. games, game boy machine, music cd or etc...They usually break them by laying around on the floor for someone to step on it or lose it at someone's house or at home....So what makes parents want to buy their kids cell phones when they can't even take the responsible of the things they already have?....

I don't think kids are that more mature enough to be able to own a cell phone, when they can't take care of their things that they already have that cost alot of money too....

I wouldn't be surprise if my son came up to me and say " mom I can't find my cell phone " or say " I dropped it in the swimming pool by an accident "....Good Grief...I rather to wait until my son finish school before he could actually own a cell phone for himself...

Reba said:
What about families who can't afford phones for all their children? I guess if we are really concerned about the safety of children, the government should provide cell phones for every child?

I only said if one was to "dismiss" the idea of cell phones being useful in life-threatening situations, then that person obviously is not concerned enough to care about their children's safety.

I'm not talking about if a person can afford it or not. That's a different matter.

Cheri and Angel, that is exactly what I expected. My daughter never had a cell phone when she was a kid but she lost many other things, locked her keys in the car at school a few times, and forgot to lock her car and had all her school books stolen. I have friends with children or younger siblings who constantly lose or break their phones. I believe it is in the nature of kids to be careless with their stuff; they are just being kids.

A cell phone isn't any good in an emergency if it is lost or broken, and they are too expensive to replace.

Thanks ladies for the input. :)

Back