$13K for new engine?

Bottom line....I don't trust any oil change places after some fraudulent experiences in the past. Yes, there are many good, honest places out there, but I haven't seen much.

I do my own oil changes most of the time....does not save me any money, but it gives me peace of mind. If I am in a bind I will have the dealer do it....not because I trust them, but they have the right OEM parts and if they mess up....they don't have an excuse.

You trust me. Why? Fluent in ASL and ASE certified Master Technician..

Most dealers have high pressure stream cleaner machines, $20? No, they charge over $100 or more. Money Money...make dealer happy....
Yes, they'll charge over $100 but it doesn't cost that much to do it. :)

You trust me. Why? Fluent in ASL and ASE certified Master Technician..

I would love to give a fellow deaf owner my business, but, trust is earned, not given. If you are bonded & insured, and your work is satisfactory, then you have my trust.

Geee 13K is pretty excessive. Oil cap missing. I did forget to put oil cap back on in my 2005 Dodge Durango for a week. I smelled oil and checked. :eek2: I found the cap still wedged in next to oil filler funnel. I put it back on and afterward no issue for next 4 years. Same goes for my 1996 Honda and forgot to put oil filler cap on and been 2 weeks until I checked for oil.. OOPS!! and I found the cap next to pulleys (Behind Right headlight on short "platform") I put it back on and Honda still find for next 2 years.

Wonder that she ignored or overlooked oil check light not understanding it's a warning light

My Dad was talking to one of his friend. Apparently, her daughter was trying to drive from NJ to IL with an one year old Honda. The leased Honda was only one years old. Before the trip, the daughter took the car in for an oil change. It was at a Dad/Pop place. They forgot to put cap back on top of the engine. Therefore, oil slowly got out. The engine was eventually locked up. Car stalled in Ohio on way to Illinois. She ended up getting a rented vehicle.

The cost is $13K for new engine. I am not sure if this includes labor. I hope it does. I just don't know how it would end up being that much for engine. I'm hoping it is turbocharged, but I doubt it. No engine is worth $13K. Especially not if it is not turbocharged.

I don't know what I would do if I were them.

Are you sure it's $13k? Maybe you got misunderstand and they mean $3k.

Geee 13K is pretty excessive. Oil cap missing. I did forget to put oil cap back on in my 2005 Dodge Durango for a week. I smelled oil and checked. :eek2: I found the cap still wedged in next to oil filler funnel. I put it back on and afterward no issue for next 4 years. Same goes for my 1996 Honda and forgot to put oil filler cap on and been 2 weeks until I checked for oil.. OOPS!! and I found the cap next to pulleys (Behind Right headlight on short "platform") I put it back on and Honda still find for next 2 years.

Wonder that she ignored or overlooked oil check light not understanding it's a warning light

Depend how much drive. She made almost 900 miles between NJ and IL.

My Dad was talking to one of his friend. Apparently, her daughter was trying to drive from NJ to IL with an one year old Honda. The leased Honda was only one years old. Before the trip, the daughter took the car in for an oil change. It was at a Dad/Pop place. They forgot to put cap back on top of the engine. Therefore, oil slowly got out. The engine was eventually locked up. Car stalled in Ohio on way to Illinois. She ended up getting a rented vehicle.

The cost is $13K for new engine. I am not sure if this includes labor. I hope it does. I just don't know how it would end up being that much for engine. I'm hoping it is turbocharged, but I doubt it. No engine is worth $13K. Especially not if it is not turbocharged.

I don't know what I would do if I were them.

Yeah, good luck finding someone that will admit responsibility for that price tag. Chances are about as good as finding a snowflake in a heatwave....

In my experiences and a lot of other folks I know, we have found in Oz that dealers charge top dollars for anything, but only hire monkeys to do the job. If things don't fit in the factory manual, most of them are lost, like a crocodile in the middle of a desert.

The rules around the warranties make things pretty ugly if the customer goes elsewhere for any work. I avoid second hand vehicle warranties like the plague. Easy for me to say, as I do pretty much all my own work. Their conditions often end up costing more than the warranty is worth.

Some things are worth getting done though. As an example my Mazda 6 needs a coolant system service. To buy the genuine coolant itself will cost me a little over $200. For Mazda to do the whole job (including the genuine coolant) will cost me about $120. I'm no Einstein, but I think I've already come to a decision. Don't think I'll be getting my hands wet. You really need to get on the phone and ring around.

But if you're faced with a $13k bill, check out other repair options, your ongoing warranty is now pretty much useless, economically if you factor in the cost of the car. I am not familiar with the American way of doing things, but the maths should be telling you what to do.

It is a well known fact over here that dealers don't make their dollars so much on the car sales as they do on the servicing agreements. The price may sound great, but the ongoings can be horrendous.

There is bound to be the odd wreck out there already with a good engine, get on the phone and the net and check it out. Might be cheaper even with delivery and the mechanic factored in. The warranty may even be a better one in the end as well.

You can exchange at your Honda dealership if you have warranty. It's very simple

WAIT, STOP THE PRESS !!!!!!!
The oil change place forgot the cap, leading to engine failure....
Sue their asses off !!!!!!

Ive seen brand new cars blow up because of these shops forgetting to add oil, install the drain plug...ect...

Its a FREE engine, get a lawyer and if the lawyer is good, then it will even be a Free New Car !!!!!

Back