13 Year Old Deaf Girl Wants Captioning On All Movies

DeafCaver

Reaction score
13 Year Old Chattanooga Girl Wants Closed Captions at the Movies
13 Year Old Chattanooga Girl Wants Closed Captions at the Movies | WDEF News 12 | News, Weather and Sports for Chattanooga and the Tennessee Valley
Imagine going to the movie theater... but not being able to laugh at the jokes or hear the plot.
That's how it is for one Chattanooga girl.
Demetria Beasley is deaf, but says she wants to go to the movies too...
Now she and her family have started a grass roots campaign to get closed captioning in at the movies.
WNOO talk radio host Sam Terry says, "We're talking about getting closed captioning in movie theaters. Good Afternoon. You're on Community Awareness."
Thirteen year old Demetria Beasley and her family are on air today pointing out of the lack of closed captions at the movies.
Through an interpreter Demetria says, "It's hard to lip read people when you're watching a movie."
Demetria is completely deaf, but has always enjoyed going to the movies with her family.
Her mother and sister would sign the movie for her...but now she's getting older...
Demetria's sister Shea'Diamond explains, "She doesn't want to interrupt the movie for anyone else. So she just don't get it."
Now Demetria and her family are doing something about it.

Good for her!

I find it ironic that most movie theaters have handicap accessable entrances and seating. but do not have captions to all movies. Now i am not saying that we deaffies are a handicapped society. but we do require captioning to enjoy the films being shown. I sure hope one day this will be possible for all movies and all showing times to have the option for captions.. I have not been to a theater in 10 yrs since I lost my hearing. and hope one day to go back..

I find it ironic that most movie theaters have handicap accessable entrances and seating. but do not have captions to all movies. Now i am not saying that we deaffies are a handicapped society. but we do require captioning to enjoy the films being shown. I sure hope one day this will be possible for all movies and all showing times to have the option for captions.. I have not been to a theater in 10 yrs since I lost my hearing. and hope one day to go back..

I think it is because they can install these things and be done with (as in permanent) . But captioning is an ongoing process (that is, they have keep on putting captions in every movie).

I think it is ironic that they will take the time to put captions on rental and home DVD but not on movie theaters.

Good for her! I wonder how I can get involved?

i think that when you buy your ticket you should be able to request captions. If other people complain, well, tough luck. Worst part is, in Canada, we don't even often get CC'd movies. Despite the fact that the production companies make them for theaters 20minutes away, i can usually only get Universal movies that are captioned.. Grrr

As for people who complain? Tough Luck. People complain when profs give me copies of the notes that they won't give other students. I tell them that I will gladly trade notes for cochleas.. it shuts them up pretty quick.
*EQL*

The first comment below the article was from a hearing person who is demanding that he/she has rights not to have captioning because it is too distracting...what do you think of that?

I replied saying ""Boo Hoo"! lol

Back