100,000 people have CI worldwide true?

DeafSCUBA98

Reaction score
i begin to think.. its not true.. i feel there's even 5 or 6 times more than that...

to give a breif reason why i ask peeps this..... i read that there are 100,000 or less people who have CI children/adult/eldery all together..

from Home - National Association of the Deaf stated
14. How many people have received cochlear implants?

Worldwide, about 60,000 people have been implanted. In the U.S., some 13,000 adults and 10,000 children and youth have been given cochlear implants.

from National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders [NIDCD] stated
Lots. More than 59,000 adults and children all over the world have cochlear implants.

okay.. what i believe.. is all is false.. i don't know why.. but that's my belief..

here's the reason why i disagree...
i live in a small town.. i will say at my work in cambridge, mn the town radius of 10 miles.. have about 10,000 population.. since 3 or 4 months.. i have seen 6 different people who have CI... 2 are same my age 20's, 30's 1 kid, 1 middle age and 2 eldery.... it seems way far more than 100,000 worldwide.. if i add it up...

is there a REAL numbers of it?????

That's actually about right. Cochlear claims "Over 100,000" people in their 2006 annual report. They have about 70 % of the global market, which puts the international number somewhere around 143,000 individuals. 36 % of global implant recipients live in the US, which puts the US # at slightly over 50,000

Sheri

That's actually about right. Cochlear claims "Over 100,000" people in their 2006 annual report. They have about 70 % of the global market, which puts the international number somewhere around 143,000 individuals. 36 % of global implant recipients live in the US, which puts the US # at slightly over 50,000

Sheri
but that numbers seem so small.. and i feel its wrong counting. since i see many of them have one around here. making me assume other towns in same state or other state have many of them.. even in big cities have even more.. which makes me think the numbers are wrong.... also my surgeon preform over 300 CI surgerys in his carrer... making me think if its about the same number at all CI center it will be outnumbered.

300 CI surgeries in a career is a lot. We are the fifth busiest implant center in the country (so I'm told) and we do 100+ per year. As far as the people that you see, maybe you notice them more because you have an implant yourself, or maybe there are genetic factors that make hearing impairment more prevalent in your community?

I can't imagine Cochlear would *underestimate* the numbers . . .

Sheri

I can't imagine Cochlear would *underestimate* the numbers . . .

Sheri

I can't either and why would they do that when it is in their interest to let everybody know how many of them have receive one?

I live in the Raleigh area of NC (million plus in the greater Raleigh area) and I either know or seen about 10 folks with them. That is not saying a whole lot when UNC Medical in Chapel Hill is a major implant center.

This stats can be right, or counted by CI companies.

It does included for general of people that who have CI like me, Boult, Dr. Strangelove and others but certain of people like me and Dr. strangelove don't wear CI anymore for some reason, such as quit from wear or not anymore due accident or whatever.

I had been in silent dinner with under 20 deaf people, only 2 has CI, one for other and one for me but I don't wear anymore, stopped in 2002.

Of the college students I am currently working with, I have 8 deaf students, 3 of whom are CI users. Numbers seem about right to me.

Strange. I live right next to a big city & I have never yet noticed anyone who has a CI yet. :( I only know like 4 ppl in my state who has CI's but 2 of them has stopped wearing theirs for certain reasons. The other 2 still wears theirs.
I hope to come across more people who has CIs. I also have noticed that no one has been asking me "what's that" when referring to the CI. I do catch people staring at it though. Heh. Doesn't bother me one bit though. :]

The number of CI'ers does sound about right.

i'm sure you would see some of CIers at ur CI center for mappings or audio/verbal therpy.. like i have seen over 20 of them they also have annual CI meet-up.. i'm sure if you ask ur audiologist they might have events or you can set one up.

yeah people do stare on mine too.. one lady did ask me whats that, and it looks cool..
some of my co-workers asked.. i'm sure someone will ask or say anything about it someday.

I have seen exactly six CIs in my whole life. I got to know two of those CIs and I've talked to one other CI when she came to visit my college.

Every time I went to the hospital, there was always people in their 50-60's there. I've never seen anyone my age there, or even kids there yet. I will have to ask if they have a CI group going on or see about putting one together. :)

Every time I went to the hospital, there was always people in their 50-60's there. I've never seen anyone my age there, or even kids there yet. I will have to ask if they have a CI group going on or see about putting one together. :)
what state do you live?

I have yet to meet a CI user in person.

Even at my CI center I haven't met another CIer in the waiting room -- although I've heard people talk about my CIs and ask me questions about them. :)

My CI center has a support group for CI recipients, but I don't know how many members there are since I'm not a part of that group.

They also have an annual picnic for CIers as well as their family and friends, but since transportation is a problem for me, I'm unable to attend.

My university has 3 students with CIs -- including myself.

...and this is in a metropolitan area.

I've met quite a few - I'll be the 3rd CIer at my university, and there's only for deaf/HOH there, so we know each other (not well, but we recognize each other). And in the area's deaf college students' group, I'd guess almost half have CIs. I guess I'm lucky - it was nice to have some idea of what I was in for when I started the whole process.

For adults...gosh, I would say I have met at least 10 CI users..2 of them my friends. I didnt realize that I have already met that many..

Children both at work and personally..would say I have worked with/met about 20 or so.

Back