10 Most Dangerous Sports in America

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Many moms might worry about their kids getting hurt playing football, but a new study shows that playing basketball and riding bicycles sent more Americans to the emergency room in 2005.

More than half a million people suffered basketball-related injuries last year, compared to 485,000 hurt on bikes and 418,000 injured playing football.

Trampolines bounced 108,000 U.S. residents into the hospital. And believe it or not, some 47,000 people managed to get hurt playing golf.

"Athletes, youngsters and weekend warriors alike can wind up in hospital emergency rooms for injuries related to these sports," said Pietro Tonino, director of the division of sports medicine at Loyola University Health System. "So before people run to the basketball court, they need to take steps to reduce their injury risk."

Tonino used data from the U.S. Consumer Produce Safety Commission on injuries treated in emergency rooms.

The Top 15:

1.Basketball: 512,213
2.Bicycling: 485,669
3.Football: 418,260
4.Soccer: 174,686
5.Baseball: 155,898
6.Skateboards: 112,544
7.Trampolines: 108,029
8.Softball: 106,884
9.Swimming/Diving: 82,354
10.Horseback riding: 73,576
11.Weightlifting: 65,716
12.Volleyball: 52,091
13.Golf: 47,360
14.Roller skating: 35,003
15.Wrestling: 33,734
Knee injuries, especially to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), are some of the most common and serious, the new study found.

While ACL injuries can be treated with surgery and physical therapy, a way to prevent them is to build up the strength of your hamstrings. Tonino also recommends landing on the balls of your feet with knees bent and butt back, as if you were about to sit in a chair.

http://www.alldeaf.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=49

Think about it, in Football (American Football that is) they're all padded and protected... in Basketball and Baseball-- they usually only wear a cup!! NO wonder these other sports are more dangerous!!

Many moms might worry about their kids getting hurt playing football, but a new study shows that playing basketball and riding bicycles sent more Americans to the emergency room in 2005.

More than half a million people suffered basketball-related injuries last year, compared to 485,000 hurt on bikes and 418,000 injured playing football.

Trampolines bounced 108,000 U.S. residents into the hospital. And believe it or not, some 47,000 people managed to get hurt playing golf.

"Athletes, youngsters and weekend warriors alike can wind up in hospital emergency rooms for injuries related to these sports," said Pietro Tonino, director of the division of sports medicine at Loyola University Health System. "So before people run to the basketball court, they need to take steps to reduce their injury risk."

Tonino used data from the U.S. Consumer Produce Safety Commission on injuries treated in emergency rooms.

The Top 15:

1.Basketball: 512,213
2.Bicycling: 485,669
3.Football: 418,260
4.Soccer: 174,686
5.Baseball: 155,898
6.Skateboards: 112,544
7.Trampolines: 108,029
8.Softball: 106,884
9.Swimming/Diving: 82,354
10.Horseback riding: 73,576
11.Weightlifting: 65,716
12.Volleyball: 52,091
13.Golf: 47,360
14.Roller skating: 35,003
15.Wrestling: 33,734
Knee injuries, especially to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), are some of the most common and serious, the new study found.

While ACL injuries can be treated with surgery and physical therapy, a way to prevent them is to build up the strength of your hamstrings. Tonino also recommends landing on the balls of your feet with knees bent and butt back, as if you were about to sit in a chair.

http://www.alldeaf.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=49

No wonder my brother went to ER after basketball for cracked his arm after fall down. Another ER for Bicycling due pothole and cracked his knee.

HOW is GOLF dangerous??? Seriously???

Poking your eye out with a club? Get run over by a golf cart? Slip on wet grass?
Get hit by a flying golf ball?

I don't believe in those statistics.... There are more people out there practising basketball than golf. Hence those rates shown are higher for people having injuries in basketball...

I have been a gymnast since the tender age of 3 years up to 22. I injured myself only five times... twice more severe. Never broken a bone or what so ever even when I fell off the balance beam doing a back flip. People were freaked but apart from a bruises I had nothing else.

All you need to do is watch out and learn how to prevent injuries. Besides you're also taught how to fall in a certain way as to not hurt you (at least when it comes to gymnastic).

JL

Poking your eye out with a club? Get run over by a golf cart? Slip on wet grass?

I'm not an expert when it comes to playing golf but I have played a couple of times while in Australia. Back then my boyfriend was an active player and he told me if you don't know how to position yourself correctly you can have shoulder, knee or hip problems... obviously due to bad positioning while hitting the ball... :D

Just to answer your question...

I guess that your chances of getting hit by a ball or golf cart are pretty slim :giggle:

JL

They forget "RATIO"

How many people play in sport vs how many people got injury from sport.
Remember that they have very small number people love to play freestyle motorcross, Half pipe skateboard/BMX and other crazy sports.

My nose broke from lacrosse because I do not wear helmet during team practice. I did not go to ER or visit DR.

No rugby on that list? Great, now that I'm going play rugby. :P

There is not much Rugby to play here in America. Not even the league or something to play. Maybe in private college/school, few, I guess.

Hockey is not on the list as well? Too bad.

As for golfing,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgnntqDBR8U]YouTube - Golf Bloopers (AFV)[/ame]

There are plenty of videos on youtube.com. Many foolish people pull idiotic stunts such as a person gets hit on the buttock with a golf ball for the heck of it. *groans*

Love the one where the woman tries to hit the ball and then the guy kicks into the ball with his foot before she has a chance... LOL... that's one broken or bruised toe for sure :giggle:

Think about it, in Football (American Football that is) they're all padded and protected... in Basketball and Baseball-- they usually only wear a cup!! NO wonder these other sports are more dangerous!!

Good point!!!

Many more americans play basketball than other sports so it might be sole reason why it had most injuries done there.

cheerleading used to be on there..weird that it isnt...but i member i used to be in the hospital for injuries quite frequently and the er dr said that cheerleading is a very high injury sport.

lol, but when you're hit, it really fuck you over and leave a big bump on the head , if it lands and bounces off your head. oh you gotta watch Jackass 2 i think they had a riots hooning and jumping with golf carts, its actually quite dangerous

I don't believe in those statistics, its misleading. I think motorsports is far more dangerous, then there is boxing, martial arts, weigh lifting, football, just because more people are doing it and get injured goes up with it doesnt mean its more dangerous. I believe the injuries happens more in there because people are cocky, underestimating the possibility of injurying and hence they leave themselves more open to it. As in motorsports , drivers, riders, mechanics *know* and respect their dangers not only this, the *Cost* of repairs is outrageous.... so they play hard but with utmost care in calculating their risk in each manouvers they make.

Back