1 ci & 1 ha

ryancher

Reaction score
I may be jumping ahead of myself but just curious...

If Tyler is a candidate for CI - but they only do his right ear (his right ear is severe, but his left ear is moderate-severe)... what is it like to have 1 cochlear and 1 hearing aid? To me, I would think it would sound very strange... but I'm not sure.

I know the AVT we saw a couple weeks ago, had 1 CI and 1 HA and she said it was fine.

I may be jumping ahead of myself but just curious...

If Tyler is a candidate for CI - but they only do his right ear (his right ear is severe, but his left ear is moderate-severe)... what is it like to have 1 cochlear and 1 hearing aid? To me, I would think it would sound very strange... but I'm not sure.

I know the AVT we saw a couple weeks ago, had 1 CI and 1 HA and she said it was fine.

HA is about pointless with a CI. I pick up sounds with the CI between 5 to 10 db in my left ear and with a HA alone in the right it has to be around 100db to pick up speech. My audi told me the only reason I should use a HA in the the other ear now is to keep the auditory nerve healthy in case I decide to implant that ear as well some day.

Since one ear is better, wearing a HA in that ear could be useful. Have you gotten a speech discrimination test? You should see how well he understand speech with his hearing aid and at what loudness.

For example, my daughter had a moderate to severe loss in her (now newly implanted) left ear. With her right (CI) ear, she could discriminate 96% of speech at 40 db. With her left (HA) ear she could discriminate 20% of speech at 60%...that is no better than random guessing. That would show that she needed a CI in both ears. If she scored better, she could have still used her HA.

Hearing test tomorrow at our "usual" place - I will mention discrimination testing to them. But to be quite honest, I don't expect them to do it... they have been pretty much useless up until this point.

We are awaiting a hearing test with the cochlear department and I will definetely mention to them he has never had that either (nor an aided test).

Hearing test tomorrow at our "usual" place - I will mention discrimination testing to them. But to be quite honest, I don't expect them to do it... they have been pretty much useless up until this point.

We are awaiting a hearing test with the cochlear department and I will definetely mention to them he has never had that either (nor an aided test).

Don't ask, tell.

No hearing test is complete until you understand what your child is ACTUALLY hearing. That requires a speech discrimination test. Right now, you are completely in the dark. This is much more important than any pure tone test. It gives you actual information about what he can understand, not just what he hears in the booth, but in real life.

Which test they use depends on how much language he has. How many words would you guess he has (that he understands, not says)? 200? (That would be the level of a 18-20 month old) More?

I have told them over and over and over again... and they always make excuses! Which is why I am getting an 2nd opinion elsewhere and also meeting with the cochlear team.

I have told the audiologist that he's still not speaking and I don't believe he is getting all speech sounds. All I ever get is "he should hear". I don't care what he should hear... I want to know what he is actually hearing. I've been told aided tests are unreliable and they won't do them. But tomorrow is the 1st appointment I am going to request a discrimination test.

I'd say he probably understands 200-250 words. I'd say a 20-22 month level of understanding. Like I said before, he tries to repeat and speak (and I believe he thinks he is) but it doesn't sound right and missing consonents.

I have told them over and over and over again... and they always make excuses! Which is why I am getting an 2nd opinion elsewhere and also meeting with the cochlear team.

I have told the audiologist that he's still not speaking and I don't believe he is getting all speech sounds. All I ever get is "he should hear". I don't care what he should hear... I want to know what he is actually hearing. I've been told aided tests are unreliable and they won't do them. But tomorrow is the 1st appointment I am going to request a discrimination test.

I'd say he probably understands 200-250 words. I'd say a 20-22 month level of understanding. Like I said before, he tries to repeat and speak (and I believe he thinks he is) but it doesn't sound right and missing consonents.

So, if you say (behind his back) "touch your nose", he will touch it? If you say "Go get your book"? What about two step instructions, like "Go get your shoes and bring them to Mama", could he do that?

So, if you say (behind his back) "touch your nose", he will touch it? If you say "Go get your book"? What about two step instructions, like "Go get your shoes and bring them to Mama", could he do that?

He'd be able to do both... although a lot of the time I usually speak and sign to him. He might get it from behind his back but it would be harder. I'd be more confident face to face with speech & signs.

He'd be able to do both... although a lot of the time I usually speak and sign to him. He might get it from behind his back but it would be harder. I'd be more confident face to face with speech & signs.

Of course it is easier face to face and with signs, but from behind you would know that it is through listening only.

Is it possible that he has HL and APD ???

APD doesn't have a test - rather it's determined by observation over time.
One of the things common in APD is that there is a large difference between what the pure tone audiogram indicates one should hear verses what they are actually able to understand (and "hear in any meaningful way")

It used to be that Audiologists thought APD along with HL was "uncommon" however now it seems more people are being diagnosed with HL & APD - this is GOOD NEWS because it means that audiologists are more willing to make custom adjustments that they would otherwise be reluctant to do (slightly over amplifying, aiding more mild HL etc)

It's certainly one of the things that may explain the difference between what the audiologist say he "should hear" - versus what you are observing in real life.

Back