1,000-Pound Rhode Island Man Transported Via Crane, Flatbed Truck

rockin'robin

Reaction score
On Sunday, April 19, a Rhode Island man weighing over 1,000 pounds was transported by a flatbed truck eight miles down I-95 from Providence to his new residence in Cranston. The entire process took about seven hours.

Brian Butler had been living in Bannister House, a nursing home that had announced earlier in April that they were closing due to being $2 million in debt. Butler and all the other patients had to be moved to different facilities, but Butler’s move required a concerted effort.

The Providence and Cranston Fire Departments, Lifespan, the Hospital Association of Rhode Island and Bay Crane Northeast all cooperated to transport Butler to the Eleanor Slater Hospital in Cranston.

The plan to move Butler was started weeks in advance, according to Michael Raia of the Rhode Island Executive Office of Health & Human Services.

“This is a patient with very complicated medical needs and this required a coordinated approach across state government,” Raia told NBC 10 News in regards to Butler. “His care and his safety has been our priority throughout this transport.”

Butler has struggled with overeating and depression for nearly 10 years. He tried to get gastric bypass surgery, but said he couldn’t find a doctor to perform the surgery.

The use of flatbed trucks to move extremely large people is not new in the United States. In 2009, the Associated Press published a story about a panicked ambulance crew in Topeka, Kansas, that struggled to transport a critically ill patient who weighed more than 1,000 pounds and could not fit inside the ambulance. The crew suggested a forklift and flatbed truck, which was used successfully.

The average woman in the United States weighs 166.2 pounds and the average man weighs 195.5, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. However, there are still plenty of people with emergency medical needs specific to being obese. The growing effort to modify ambulances and other equipment such as hospital beds, wheelchairs, walkers and commodes addresses those needs.

While Butler’s move was a challenge, he arrived safely at Eleanor Slater Hospital where Raia said Butler will receive the care he needs.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/health/1000-pound-brian-butler-transported-nursing-home-flatbed-truck

He's in a medical facility? Why on earth did they keep overfeeding him? They should have quit enabling him hundreds of pounds ago. :mad:

He's in a medical facility? Why on earth did they keep overfeeding him? They should have quit enabling him hundreds of pounds ago. :mad:

I kind of wondered that too. He is obviously so immobile that the food would need to be brought to him.

I think that nursing home was poorly runned.

He's a GIANT! like the Big Show! He weighs 500LBS
BigShow14_crop_650x440.jpg

I wondered too- in addition to the nursing home being poorly run, I am betting visitors sneaked in food to him all the time and/or somehow he got delivery people to come anyway. It didn't say how old he was.

Sad all around :(

Scary, suppose there is emergency evacuation required, what are they going to do with this person? I don't believe that person can run no matter what.

Not going to make judgement how this person gets and stay huge, could be something we have no clue as of yet.

Wowzers. I'm from Rhode Island. Hopefully Tom Brady's hair will be enough of a distraction from this disaster of a news story. =)

I'm a nurse... residents have the right to order out. Many do... often to excess. Or as mentioned above, they have family and friends bring it in against medical advice.

Could be more.medication then just food Causing.the issies
Its never really just food that mwkes people huge...
All always of other plms, besides pork chops

Could be more.medication then just food Causing.the issies
Its never really just food that mwkes people huge...
All always of other plms, besides pork chops
that is true.. could be a mix of things, near constant eating, some medications do cause weight gain and there are some medical conditions that do contribute to weight gain.

Prader-Willi is one that fits that criteria.

I think I know why they were 2 million in debt :hmm:

Maybe he was running a tab?

I think I know why they were 2 million in debt :hmm:

Maybe he was running a tab?
tempting as that sounds I don't think so...

They probably didn't get payments like they were supposed to or likely operated in the red more than in the black to even keep the place open.

did't think possible live at that weight how old is he his age not mentioned

did't think possible live at that weight how old is he his age not mentioned

Haven't found his age yet but did find some additional information:

"Butler had been at the nursing home for nearly a decade, during which he gained some 300 pounds. In an interview with NBC 10 in 2006, Butler noted that he had struggled with eating problems. 'When I’m depressed I’ll eat chips or order myself a large pizza and pretty much kill it myself,' he said."

http://www.medicaldaily.com/pulse/1...and-flatbed-truck-switch-nursing-homes-330546

Back