02 chevy silverado...

blank canvas

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 02 silverado with 35's and they are causing a lot of problems with the front end... I don't really want to put in a solid front axle at the moment I want to wait until this summer.
Ok so the point of this thread: I was wondering if any knew about successful lifts so far I have only seen bad reviews. I did a 2inch key kit on it (not sure of the tech terms, I'm a girly gearhead what can I say, I use terms like thingamajig) I trimmed the wheel well's so the tires didn't rub and adjusted the 'a arms' I think they are called and so far the cv axles have quit binding... but I want more height!! any tips?

Ok so I have a 02 silverado with 35's and they are causing a lot of problems with the front end... I don't really want to put in a solid front axle at the moment I want to wait until this summer.
Ok so the point of this thread: I was wondering if any knew about successful lifts so far I have only seen bad reviews. I did a 2inch key kit on it (not sure of the tech terms, I'm a girly gearhead what can I say, I use terms like thingamajig) I trimmed the wheel well's so the tires didn't rub and adjusted the 'a arms' I think they are called and so far the cv axles have quit binding... but I want more height!! any tips?

2 inch key kit is referring to Torsion Keys or Torsion Key Leveling Kit. Is that you talking about? 35 inch diameter tires? I did research some informations of the 2" to 3" torsion keys that are up to 33 inch diameter tires. I believe the 2" to 3" inch Torsion Keys are hurting the front CV shafts for certain. Big tires will bother the inner wheel wells and A-arms (upper/lower control A-arms). Want more high height, try front live axle (popular Currie axles?) and heavy modify suspensions. Other method is large blocks to shim the frame to the body and modify the brake lines, electrical harness or refuel tube or hose. Maybe Offroad Chevy SUV forums will help you. I am not 4x4 expert. Dst

2 inch key kit is referring to Torsion Keys or Torsion Key Leveling Kit. Is that you talking about? 35 inch diameter tires? I did research some informations of the 2" to 3" torsion keys that are up to 33 inch diameter tires. I believe the 2" to 3" inch Torsion Keys are hurting the front CV shafts for certain. Big tires will bother the inner wheel wells and A-arms (upper/lower control A-arms). Want more high height, try front live axle (popular Currie axles?) and heavy modify suspensions. Other method is large blocks to shim the frame to the body and modify the brake lines, electrical harness or refuel tube or hose. Maybe Offroad Chevy SUV forums will help you. I am not 4x4 expert. Dst

WOW girly gearhead remember :giggle: ok yes 2inch torsion keys. and yes I'm rolling 35's. as for the wheel well I shaved it :) but still having issues with cv axles, A-arms are doing fine.

Now what is a live axle? is that a solid front axle?

WOW girly gearhead remember :giggle: ok yes 2inch torsion keys. and yes I'm rolling 35's. as for the wheel well I shaved it :) but still having issues with cv axles, A-arms are doing fine.

Yes, it is same as a solid front or rear axle. Well the 35 tires are too big for your truck. I cant believe it. Damn it, but the big tires can increase fuel consumption and ruin automatic transmission. Want to save gas mileage and automatic tranny is to increase gear ratio (ring gear & pinion shaft) in both front/rear live axles.
2 inch torsion keys can change alignment such as toe in or toe out and cambers. Casters? No change in alignment unless you want stable or loose steering. No matter what you want to lift tally height by modify the front/rear suspensions, is always change suspension geometry (alignment). But if you lift the body only not to the front/ rear suspensions, will remain same suspension geometry. I think you already adjusted the A arms such as toe in and cambers what you mentioned.
PS, I pray the CV shafts wont get break Dst

Same thing, just a different name.

Ya so is tearing up your front end and having to replace cv's every 3months :giggle: Still don't know what a live axle is so can't comment on the fab skills :D
It would mean using different springs because no solid axle that I know of uses torsion bar springs. The easiest is leaf springs, so you would have to cut off the existing torsion bar mounts and weld on leaf spring perches. And a lot of other stuff...

There are probably forums out there that answer this and other questions better than i can.

Yes, it is same as a solid front or rear axle. Well the 35 tires are too big for your truck. I cant believe it. Damn it, but the big tires can increase fuel consumption and ruin automatic transmission. Want to save gas mileage and automatic tranny is to increase gear ratio (ring gear & pinion shaft) in both front/rear live axles.
2 inch torsion keys can change alignment such as toe in or toe out and cambers. Casters? No change in alignment unless you want stable or loose steering. No matter what you want to lift tally height by modify the front/rear suspensions, is always change suspension geometry (alignment). But if you lift the body only not to the front/ rear suspensions, will remain same suspension geometry. I think you already adjusted the A arms such as toe in and cambers what you mentioned.
PS, I pray the CV shafts wont get break Dst

Teehee what can I say I'm chick, I don't have a penis therefore I must compensate with my truck :D
Hmm well it looks like I will have to put in a solid front axle sooner then I had hoped :( I'm not a fan of body lifts prefer the look of a good old suspension lift... now the question is why on earth does chevy make their trucks so low... Look at the dodge they come all boofy but I am a hard core chevy girl so I will make do....

It would mean using different springs because no solid axle that I know of uses torsion bar springs. The easiest is leaf springs, so you would have to cut off the existing torsion bar mounts and weld on leaf spring perches. And a lot of other stuff...

There are probably forums out there that answer this and other questions better than i can.

Well based on the picture diagram I found it does look rather extensive but I have no life so spending a weekend wrenching on my rig totally works for me :D And actually you have been a lot of help so thank you!

Now just need to start the search for my shiny (or not so shiny) solid front axle, that chevy should have made stock on my TRUCK but they opted against it :giggle:

Ahhha, talk to me in IM's. I have a BUNCH of chevy gearhead friends - all sporting 40++'s on their trucks..

Yes, right. No torsion bars use on the solid axles. If I am a 4X4 avid, would go with 4 link suspensions on both front and rear solid axles instead of the leaf springs cuz the pinion angle (at the axle housing) will change very little maybe no change (depend on hard rubber bushings in the ends), when hard accelerating. Pinion angle on the leaf springs will change when hard accelerating, like the yoke flange at the pinion shaft tilts up.
Jeep Grand Cherokee or Cherokee use 4 link suspensions on the front and rear. Wrangler uses leaf springs.

Teehee what can I say I'm chick, I don't have a penis therefore I must compensate with my truck :D
Hmm well it looks like I will have to put in a solid front axle sooner then I had hoped :( I'm not a fan of body lifts prefer the look of a good old suspension lift... now the question is why on earth does chevy make their trucks so low... Look at the dodge they come all boofy but I am a hard core chevy girl so I will make do....

I am a hard core Chevy, wish to be with you but I dont like The Rockies. Try on PFH. Heee

Back