‘ER’ closes doors, leaves satisfying legacy

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
George Clooney’s March 12 return to “ER” drove viewers to a recent episode, but for doctors, the high point in that episode was Dr. Benton reading the safe surgery checklist before Dr Carter’s transplant surgery — and saving Carter’s life as a result.

“What I love about ‘ER’ is that they address very complex ethical issues with all the nuances we face in our daily lives,” says Sandra de Castro Buffington, director of Hollywood, Health & Society at the USC Annenberg Norman Lear Center. “The next day after that episode aired, 150 surgeons were gathered in New York to talk about safe surgery protocols and the organizers made them watch the entire episode.”

The impact made by “ER” expands far beyond its entertainment value, although that has been considerable. At its peak, the series reached 47.8 million viewers, and it remains NBC’s second-most watched drama (behind only "Law & Order: SVU"). Through years of cast changes leading to the departure of every major character, “ER” still soldiered on, providing solid ratings and keeping the quality standard high.

This article is 2 pages long -- ‘ER’ closes doors, leaves satisfying legacy - Television- msnbc.com

I love watching ER and after watching it for 15 years, It's going to be kind of sad to see it closing it's doors.

So, for you ER Fans - The last episode is on for tonight for 2 hours.

ER TV Show - Cast, Spoilers, Episodes, Videos, Photos and Games Online - NBC Official Site

I haven't watched ER in years, but was catching the last hour of the finale tonight and saw Benton and his son... I had no idea his son was deaf!!! It was cool to see him signing with the young man and to see his character wearing hearing aids...

Just struck me as cool, ya know??

just went off. carter is back at county.

his name is reese. bentons kid.

and i think its a CI not just a hearing aid.

I am not try to be rude, but tell you truth. I am happy they are finish.

I got the chance to watch ER tonight. It was very good but so sad. It was so emotionally to see where the elderly man was sitting and laying by his dying wife. :(

I wish I could have watched ER from the beginning in the mid-1990's.

It is really tough to find a good way to end a TV series because it varies a lot. Guess they found a way to end it.

I got the chance to watch ER tonight. It was very good but so sad. It was so emotionally to see where the elderly man was sitting and laying by his dying wife. :(

I wish I could have watched ER from the beginning in the mid-1990's.

You can, 10 seasons are available on DVD and the 11th is scheduled for a July release.

I did watch the ER series finale and I have to say this, this show definitely will be missed for sure.. and I have enjoyed watching that show over the years.. ahh... I might see if i can buy some ER seasons dvds and watch them for a while.. but will see later...still, an nice end to the 15th season of ER...

I'll miss watching the new ER episode, and that is one of my favorite show. I've enjoyed to watch a lot of great characters.

Someday, maybe I'll be able to collect them all on DVD.

Back