‘Deaf and blind’ runner completes marathon

Smithtr

G.G.H.T
Premium Member
Reaction score
A Galloway runner who completed a gruelling marathon in the Highlands without his sight or hearing has thanked everyone who generously donated to his efforts.

Andrew Gibson, 27, from Elrig, and his two friends Don O’Brien and Jamie Lapworth have raised more than £2000 for Deafblind Scotland after completing the Loch Ness Marathon.

The trio completed the 26-mile route in four hours and 42 minutes with Andrew running the entire distance wearing a blindfold and ear defenders to raise awareness of people who live with dual sensory impairment.

The race was not without incident as Andrew ran straight into the back of another runner who had stopped abruptly in front of him at around the 16-mile mark.

Andrew said: “We’re chuffed with how it went.

“It was a bit of a struggle at around 19 miles because we had to climb what seemed like a never-ending hill and I had already run into the back of someone by that point.

“The lads said it was beautiful scenery and lots of people were shouting encouragement but I obviously don’t have any mental image of what the route looked like. I can’t thank enough everyone from Galloway who donated. We raised double what we thought we would and people are still pitching in.

“Working for Deafblind Scot*land has made me realise what deaf-blind people overcome every day. Hopefully, we have made others think about what that would be like if they lost their sight and hearing.”

If anyone would like to donate to the cause, Andrew’s justgiving page will remain online for a few weeks. You can donate at Andrew Gibson is fundraising for Deafblind Scotland and for more information on how Deafblind Scotland could help someone you know visit www.deafblindscotland.org.uk.
‘Deaf and blind’ runner completes marathon - Local Sport - The Galloway Gazette

I never cease to be amazed by the courage and ability "disabled" people have to overcome obstacles.

Laura

Back