AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > Captioning & Sign Language Interpreter
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 31
Please tell Blu-Ray to support Closed Caption CC

Blu-Ray players need to support hard encoding Closed Caption CC

Blu-Ray players need to support hard encoding Closed Caption CC - Blu-ray Forum

Please take a second to make a post over at Blu-Ray.com and tell them why you really need Closed Caption CC. Tell them also to have a Ps3 firmware update to support Closed Caption CC.
vatkat234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 01-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 186
I read your list of requirement. The only way to record TV shows on Blu-ray recorders is by Over-the-Air (OTA) antenna because HDTV from OTA is NOT encrypted. Blu-ray recorders will require ATSC tuners inside.

You CANNOT record HDTV programs from HDTV cable or satellite to Blu-ray recorders because the signals are encrypted. The only way to record HDTV shows from cable or satellite is to use their HDTV DVR (digital video recorder) boxes which records on DVR's hard disk. DVR's typically have CC deocoders and can transmit CC through HDMI. DVR's simply overlay CC texts on video signal which is not exactly the same as line 21 in analog CC.

Also, I have noticed many Blu-ray movies do not have CC available, only subtitles. You have to write a letter to not only Blu-ray manufacturers, but also to movie studios. Good luck with that especially with bad economy. No one wants to spend extra money to add CC when subtitles are already available. Plus more and more subtitles are available for the deaf (SDH). So, I am happy with current subtitles.

Peter
peternagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by peternagy View Post
I read your list of requirement. The only way to record TV shows on Blu-ray recorders is by Over-the-Air (OTA) antenna because HDTV from OTA is NOT encrypted. Blu-ray recorders will require ATSC tuners inside.

You CANNOT record HDTV programs from HDTV cable or satellite to Blu-ray recorders because the signals are encrypted. The only way to record HDTV shows from cable or satellite is to use their HDTV DVR (digital video recorder) boxes which records on DVR's hard disk. DVR's typically have CC deocoders and can transmit CC through HDMI. DVR's simply overlay CC texts on video signal which is not exactly the same as line 21 in analog CC.

Also, I have noticed many Blu-ray movies do not have CC available, only subtitles. You have to write a letter to not only Blu-ray manufacturers, but also to movie studios. Good luck with that especially with bad economy. No one wants to spend extra money to add CC when subtitles are already available. Plus more and more subtitles are available for the deaf (SDH). So, I am happy with current subtitles.

Peter
I'm not talking about recording TV shows. Blu-ray players are DVD players also and need to support hard encoding of Closed Caption CC.

FOX movies have Closed Caption on their Blu-Ray discs. Some people like Closed Caption CC others like subtitles.

PowerDVD and some DVD players Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer have hard encoding of Closed Caption.
vatkat234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 186
This is what you said:

"3.When Blu-Ray recorders come out Deaf people like to record a show when they are not come. The only way they can watch the show after it has been recorded is Closed Caption."

I was trying to say how you can or cannot record HDTV programs depending on whether you use OTA, cable, or satellite.

I have Vista Media Center computer connecting to 60" TV with DVI inputs (same as HDMI without audio) and it records and plays back HDTV programs along with CC very well. A computer is a good alternative to Blu-ray players/recorders. I also have PDVD 8 software to playback Blu-ray movies with subtitles. No need to get Blu-ray player. One size fits all.

Peter
peternagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by peternagy View Post
This is what you said:

"3.When Blu-Ray recorders come out Deaf people like to record a show when they are not come. The only way they can watch the show after it has been recorded is Closed Caption."

I was trying to say how you can or cannot record HDTV programs depending on whether you use OTA, cable, or satellite.

I have Vista Media Center computer connecting to 60" TV with DVI inputs (same as HDMI without audio) and it records and plays back HDTV programs along with CC very well. A computer is a good alternative to Blu-ray players/recorders. I also have PDVD 8 software to playback Blu-ray movies with subtitles. No need to get Blu-ray player. One size fits all.

Peter
Do you know what capture card you have in that computer? Your media center is that a HP one?
vatkat234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkat234 View Post
Do you know what capture card you have in that computer? Your media center is that a HP one?
I built the computer myself. The two HDTV tuner cards are VBOX DTA-150. There are many HDTV tuner cards available in both old style PCI and new style PCI-e. This is not a capture card that you might copy from DVD or Blu-ray players and it's a big difference unless you meant HDTV tuner card.

HDTV tuner cards:

VBOX DTA-150: ATSC Receiver, ATSC Terrestrial HDTV receivers, terrestrial broadband data, IP over ATSC
DVico Fusion cards: www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/
HD Homerun (external): products/hdhomerun - Silicondust

I think HD Homerun is probably the best choice because it can tune to HDTV ClearQAM which is available for free from your local cable company.

There are many others and I listed the top three.

Peter
peternagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 31
Peter, so HD Homerun does closed caption with not problems?

From the pictures on Amazon it seems that it moves the video into the PC over the network card, is that right? I thought it would be USB?
vatkat234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 186
The CC comes from Windows Media Center (Vista or Windows MCE 2005). Media Center CC works great. HD Homerun is just a piece of hardware to tune HDTV signals and does not care for CC. It's the software that provides CC support. MCE CC has black background but you can change it.

I don't exactly know how HD Homerun works because I don't own one but I read very high praises about it. I believe you are correct that it uses network card, not USB. This is handy because you can watch TV from anywhere in your house through a network but each TV in each room may require a computer for this to work. I do not recommend using wireless because it's too slow even for 54 Mbps.

Peter
peternagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 31
Peter, thanks I was having problems for years trying to get Closed Caption working under XP Pro.

I had a All in Wonder 32meg card. It would display Closed Caption but could not record line 21. I could record with Closed Caption on and have Closed Caption printed on the picture but I did not like that.

The only PC capture card I heard about was a hauppauge USB product that they no longer make.

So you use the software from Microsoft to record then?
vatkat234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 186
Yes. It's not available in XP Pro. Only in MCE 2005 or Vista Premium. You cannot buy or install stand alone Media Center Edition on XP Pro because it's part of Operating System found only in MCE 2005 or Vista Premium. MCE 2005 is XP Pro with an addition of Media Center Edition software.

Peter
peternagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Argh!! I spent all that money

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkat234 View Post
Blu-Ray players need to support hard encoding Closed Caption CC

Blu-Ray players need to support hard encoding Closed Caption CC - Blu-ray Forum

Please take a second to make a post over at Blu-Ray.com and tell them why you really need Closed Caption CC. Tell them also to have a Ps3 firmware update to support Closed Caption CC.

How do we get them to? I had a chat session last night with Sony trying to let customer service show me how to get closed captioning on my brand new Sony blu ray player. Brendan the chat customer service man says well you have subtitles...I'm like well so what the subtitles don't have everything plus I'm Hearing Impaired so I would like to have the subtitles in my language. What good are subtitles to me or anyone when the subtitle languages are not in the same language the dvd's spoken language is in????

Anyway I'm new here and this is my first post and I was so upset about my new blu ray player. I spent a little over $80.00 on 3 seasons of supernatural and over $200,00 on the new blu ray player and dammit I can't even get the freakin subtitles in my language let alone what I should be able to get [have] which is closed caption accessibility

People of all ages with different reasons need closed caption why don't they recognize that. Oh and I told Brendan the customer support employee I will be returning my new Sony blu ray player and won't purchase any Sony products until they make them close caption accessible. Then I also went to the cw channel 11 website and joined them in the lounge since I'm a supernatural fan and let them know the problem with not having close caption their answer also is use the subtitles to help me. They said it nicer than Sony without what I perceived as an attitude. I explained the discs don't have English subtitles The only other option I have now, that I know of, is save up for a laptop and watch the dvd's on that or somehow learn how to download movies on my computer and use media manager with verizon. That way I can get closed captioning ....maybe. I can on my computer with windows media manager I figured out how.

Don't they realize there is a market for closed captioning and when they supply what we demand and need they make money. Sheesh.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Expelled
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaturalfan View Post
How do we get them to? I had a chat session last night with Sony trying to let customer service show me how to get closed captioning on my brand new Sony blu ray player. Brendan the chat customer service man says well you have subtitles...I'm like well so what the subtitles don't have everything plus I'm Hearing Impaired so I would like to have the subtitles in my language. What good are subtitles to me or anyone when the subtitle languages are not in the same language the dvd's spoken language is in????

Anyway I'm new here and this is my first post and I was so upset about my new blu ray player. I spent a little over $80.00 on 3 seasons of supernatural and over $200,00 on the new blu ray player and dammit I can't even get the freakin subtitles in my language let alone what I should be able to get [have] which is closed caption accessibility

People of all ages with different reasons need closed caption why don't they recognize that. Oh and I told Brendan the customer support employee I will be returning my new Sony blu ray player and won't purchase any Sony products until they make them close caption accessible. Then I also went to the cw channel 11 website and joined them in the lounge since I'm a supernatural fan and let them know the problem with not having close caption their answer also is use the subtitles to help me. They said it nicer than Sony without what I perceived as an attitude. I explained the discs don't have English subtitles The only other option I have now, that I know of, is save up for a laptop and watch the dvd's on that or somehow learn how to download movies on my computer and use media manager with verizon. That way I can get closed captioning ....maybe. I can on my computer with windows media manager I figured out how.

Don't they realize there is a market for closed captioning and when they supply what we demand and need they make money. Sheesh.
Supernatural on Blu-ray has SDH. It's basically the same concept as CC including sound descriptions.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Hi Banjo,

Ok what is SDH?

If it has to do with subtitles it doesn't help me with blu ray player but does, somewhat, on the computer?

EDIT: Oh and I saw the blu ray supernatural discs for season 4 and in the description it said the subtitles are in every language except English. I don't want to purchase it in an other language other than English because I can hear, though impaired, so I want either subtitles in English if subtitles are all I can get.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkat234 View Post
I'm not talking about recording TV shows. Blu-ray players are DVD players also and need to support hard encoding of Closed Caption CC.

FOX movies have Closed Caption on their Blu-Ray discs. Some people like Closed Caption CC others like subtitles.

PowerDVD and some DVD players Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer have hard encoding of Closed Caption.


Ohh I just asked Banjo what SDH is and now I see you mention it too. Sheesh you guys sure know a lot more than I do. I am a computer and electronic dummy. Subtitles don't help me since I can hear but am impaired but dammit the subtitles come in a different language. So if I speak English and buy the movie/disc in English speaking then the subtitles are in other languages but not in my spoken english language. Subtitles are no subsitiute for CC based on this alone let alone all the other reason. For examples like background sound, music.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Expelled
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaturalfan View Post
Ohh I just asked Banjo what SDH is and now I see you mention it too. Sheesh you guys sure know a lot more than I do. I am a computer and electronic dummy. Subtitles don't help me since I can hear but am impaired but dammit the subtitles come in a different language. So if I speak English and buy the movie/disc in English speaking then the subtitles are in other languages but not in my spoken english language. Subtitles are no subsitiute for CC based on this alone let alone all the other reason. For examples like background sound, music.
SDH is short for "Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing". It's not the same as regular English subtitles.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
SDH is short for "Subtitles for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing". It's not the same as regular English subtitles.
Thank you for letting me know. I wonder how it's different? The only thing I could think of that might be different would be that it's in the same language the audio or actors, etc are already speaking. That's part of my problem with the Sony blu ray player and the Supernatural dvd's. They don't have subtitles in the same language *sigh*

I miss VHS tapes and the VCR recorders. AT least they would record TV shows with CC as long as the TV and the show had it. Now we have buy the TV shows because we can't record them from the TV on the dvd's like we did with the VHS tapes. The DVR through our Cable Co. will save the shows but we can't save them for very long or keep all the seasons and episodes without running out of space. This is not progress. What good is new technology when we get less and end up paying more and now we don't even get CC.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Expelled
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 11,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaturalfan View Post
Thank you for letting me know. I wonder how it's different? The only thing I could think of that might be different would be that it's in the same language the audio or actors, etc are already speaking. That's part of my problem with the Sony blu ray player and the Supernatural dvd's. They don't have subtitles in the same language *sigh*

I miss VHS tapes and the VCR recorders. AT least they would record TV shows with CC as long as the TV and the show had it. Now we have buy the TV shows because we can't record them from the TV on the dvd's like we did with the VHS tapes. The DVR through our Cable Co. will save the shows but we can't save them for very long or keep all the seasons and episodes without running out of space. This is not progress. What good is new technology when we get less and end up paying more and now we don't even get CC.
SDH is supposed to feature the same type of information (dialogues, sounds, etc) as the CC. It's just a different technology, that's all.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
The Highlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaturalfan View Post
Thank you for letting me know. I wonder how it's different? The only thing I could think of that might be different would be that it's in the same language the audio or actors, etc are already speaking. That's part of my problem with the Sony blu ray player and the Supernatural dvd's. They don't have subtitles in the same language *sigh*

I miss VHS tapes and the VCR recorders. AT least they would record TV shows with CC as long as the TV and the show had it. Now we have buy the TV shows because we can't record them from the TV on the dvd's like we did with the VHS tapes. The DVR through our Cable Co. will save the shows but we can't save them for very long or keep all the seasons and episodes without running out of space. This is not progress. What good is new technology when we get less and end up paying more and now we don't even get CC.
SDH is better than CC. I don't like CC anymore. Sometime CC blocks the picture from your view.
__________________
"There are a lot of people that donít like this software. It is because they donít understand how to use the software and donít realize itís potential."

The Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Banjo so then I could purchase the Supernatural discs in Blu Ray and get something like CC only called SDH. So then am I to understand I would then need a blu ray player, right? My problem with the Sony blu ray was that it didn't have English subtitles but since SDH is for the dear and hearing impaired then it might work out for me.

I called verizon fios about their media manager and found out they don't have CC for downloaded movies/tv on my PC. I'm getting confused here and kind of in a pickle. I have all these discs and no DVD player with SDH or CC and no Blu Ray player with SDH or CC. Now I'm too afraid to get series 4 and 5 with series 4 being one of the best of Supernatural because I can't find a blu ray player with right subtitles/CC in English. Now I find SDH might be an option but is it in my language? Sheesh.

I'll check with best buy tomorrow and see what I can find out.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Highlander View Post
SDH is better than CC. I don't like CC anymore. Sometime CC blocks the picture from your view.
I noticed that too but it's usually when they have the names of the stars, guest stars in the beginning.

I would get my movies, etc downloaded on my PC if I weren't afraid of losing them when my computer dies out on me. I know back up everything. Well I did that on my firelite and ended up backing up the bot that killed my puter and I lost my puzzle game cause I lost the darn printed out receipt proving I paid for it. If I didn't want any of my Brothers to see what's on my puter I would ask one of them to help me here.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Well I went to Best Buy and spoke to two salesmen. Apparently neither one knew what SDH was and never heard of it so I explained what it was. They said the Blu Ray players don't need CC or SDH because the DVD discs should be responsible to have it and that the Blu Ray discs already have CC and subtitles. I explained the difference between CC and subtitles also. So part of the problem is that even the salesmen don't know enough to help the deaf and Hearing Impaired who aren't aware or educated enough to know which products are right and available for them. People like me.

I put my DVD discs in a Panasonic DVD player and one had SDH the other didn't. I see the difference between subtitles and SDH. I like CC better because I can change the size, etc but not with SDH. Episode 1 wasn't CC or SDH on the disc and I didn't get CC or SDH when I played the first episode. When I put in the DVD disc of the 3rd episode that had SDH it worked and I got to read what they were saying and the background sounds were on it too. So when the DVD disc doesn't have it then it makes no difference which DVD player it's in. With out the discs having CC or SDH accessibility the player can't show it. So it looks to me like both have to have either CC or SDH not just the disc and not just the player.

I really don't see why all DVD and Blu Ray players don't have CC and SDH in any and all languages people want. This way we all could watch any movie, tv show from any era. Youtube, Blackberrie, PS3 and all our devices should have CC or SDH accessible. I don't understand why they aren't automatically accessible it's like telling a blind person hey we have the book you want it's just not going to be in braille or Audio but hey we have it.

Last edited by supernaturalfan; 11-23-2009 at 06:39 AM.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 10:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatkat234 View Post
I'm not talking about recording TV shows. Blu-ray players are DVD players also and need to support hard encoding of Closed Caption CC.

FOX movies have Closed Caption on their Blu-Ray discs. Some people like Closed Caption CC others like subtitles.

PowerDVD and some DVD players Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer have hard encoding of Closed Caption.



To the bold

From what I found out if the dvd disc doesn't have CC or SDH then the dvd player and/or Blu Ray player encrypted or not won't play the discs. I put two different types of discs in a Panasonic dvd player tonight, an older model. It played with SDH when the dvd disc came with it. The dvd disc that didn't have CC or SDH didn't show CC or SDH when played on the same played on the same Panasonic DVD player.

We have to check the discs to make sure the have it too or the above products won't be any much good to us.

Last edited by supernaturalfan; 11-23-2009 at 06:41 AM.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 186
This whole concept about CC and SDH is very confusing (not necessarily complicated).

Supernaturalfan,

Please specify exactly what kind of TV (Manufacturer and model #), DVD or Blu-ray player. Does your TV have HDMI or DVI connector? Also, how is your Blu-ray/DVD player connected to the TV? Is it connected using HDMI, DVI, component (three video cables), composite (single RCA cable) or S-video (single but multi-pins cable)?

The way the cables are connected really matters for CC. It does not matter for SDH because the player will transmit SDH regardless of cable connection. But CC CANNOT be transmited via HDMI, DVI and sometimes component. If you are using component cables, you must set the DVD player to "Interlace" or "non-progressive" scan and you just might be able to see CC.

I cannot explain why you are having difficulty without knowing how your entertainment equipment. Bottom line please give us manufacturer and model number of all you equipment including TV and players and how are they connected.

Thanks,
Peter
peternagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 06:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by peternagy View Post
This whole concept about CC and SDH is very confusing (not necessarily complicated).

Supernaturalfan,

Please specify exactly what kind of TV (Manufacturer and model #), DVD or Blu-ray player. Does your TV have HDMI or DVI connector? Also, how is your Blu-ray/DVD player connected to the TV? Is it connected using HDMI, DVI, component (three video cables), composite (single RCA cable) or S-video (single but multi-pins cable)?

The way the cables are connected really matters for CC. It does not matter for SDH because the player will transmit SDH regardless of cable connection. But CC CANNOT be transmited via HDMI, DVI and sometimes component. If you are using component cables, you must set the DVD player to "Interlace" or "non-progressive" scan and you just might be able to see CC.

I cannot explain why you are having difficulty without knowing how your entertainment equipment. Bottom line please give us manufacturer and model number of all you equipment including TV and players and how are they connected.

Thanks,
Peter
Hey Peter,

Thank You for trying to help me. I have no clue how I connected the blu ray player to the tv except I used all the connectors except one yellow one. I have the HDMI in the back of my Samsung and had it in the back of the Blu ray player. I say had because I returned the Blu Ray player since I could only get subtitles in other languages. Even the DVD with SDH/English wouldn't allow me to see English subtitles.

When I go back to Best Buy I will get a Panasonic DVD player no idea what kind yet but not blu ray even if they have it. I don't want Blu Ray since it doesn't work for me. I also don't need to see every pimple, wrinkle and tired eye lines on the actors so I can live without Blu Ray as long as they keep making regular DVD Players and discs with CC or SDH. I'm so afraid that what ever Panasonic I get won't have what I need. I bought those DVD's and I really want them to work with CC or SDH at least the one's that have SDH. Series 2 &3 do but Series 1 doesn't. So my best bet is get a regular DVD Player with either CC or Subtitles, SDH which ever it has and dammit make sure from now on any and all DVD's I buy have CC or SDH in English or I don't buy them!!!. I think eventually I'm going to have to hire geek squad to hook up my computer to my TV so I can watch downloaded videos with SDH or CC on the TV. So far my Windows Media Player is great with CC I'm a computer dummy and have no clue how the hell to hook everything up and worst programming them. The book with pictures helps but that's about it.

Why does it have to be so complicated? why can't we just put one freaking plug from TV to DVD Player to Cable/Fios? Why can't the dvd or Blu Ray player just freaking have what we need like the TV's do? dammit someone somewhere made an oversight when the Blu Ray Players were designed or engineered. Shit the Blu Ray Players and discs should be recalled so they can put the CC in them like the TV's have them.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 186
I am not sure how I can help you since you provided little information about your setup.

I never once had issues with DVD or Blu-ray discs regarding to SDH. Every single one of them provided subtitles or SDH in English. There was one set of DVD disc that didn't provide subtitles or SDH in English. It was a Showtime series called "Dexter" and I borrowed the DVD set from a friend. But it had CC. I used my home-built computer to play DVD or Blu-ray movies via DVI (same as HDMI) and use Cyberlink PowerDVD software to transmit CC (not subtitles or SDH) over DVI cable. It seems Panasonic is the only company that makes players to transmit CC over HDMI or DVI. I search for CC from Panasonic web site and I found only their DVD recorders may transmit CC over HDMI/DVI cable. The cheapest model is DMR-EA18K ($180) and I cannot guarantee that this player is what you are looking for. Their stand alone players do not have CC decoders. Also it appears their Blu-ray players do not support CC either. Please go to Panasonic Electronics for all of your home, business, or industrial needs and do some research.

Good luck.

Peter
peternagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #26 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by peternagy View Post
I am not sure how I can help you since you provided little information about your setup.

I never once had issues with DVD or Blu-ray discs regarding to SDH. Every single one of them provided subtitles or SDH in English. There was one set of DVD disc that didn't provide subtitles or SDH in English. It was a Showtime series called "Dexter" and I borrowed the DVD set from a friend. But it had CC. I used my home-built computer to play DVD or Blu-ray movies via DVI (same as HDMI) and use Cyberlink PowerDVD software to transmit CC (not subtitles or SDH) over DVI cable. It seems Panasonic is the only company that makes players to transmit CC over HDMI or DVI. I search for CC from Panasonic web site and I found only their DVD recorders may transmit CC over HDMI/DVI cable. The cheapest model is DMR-EA18K ($180) and I cannot guarantee that this player is what you are looking for. Their stand alone players do not have CC decoders. Also it appears their Blu-ray players do not support CC either. Please go to Panasonic Electronics for all of your home, business, or industrial needs and do some research.

Good luck.

Peter

I will check out that Site Peter I think the problem I had with the Panasonic DVD player wasn't the player. It was the first series of SN only because it didn't have CC or SDH so that one I could only get CC or SDH on Windows media player. The other 2 series of SN had SDH so they worked well on the Panasonic DVD player but didn't do diddly as far as CC or SDH on the blu ray. I suspect it's because of the discs since they didn't have CC or SDH in english. If the disc you buy doesn't have CC or SDH in English or the language you want they it won't have it on blu ray player, well at least the Sony blu ray I bought and had to return. The blu ray player only goes by what is on the dvd disc....I don't know about blu ray discs yet. I havent' had any experience with blu ray discs yet and hope I never have to after this. I don't care for blu ray and as I said before I really hope we don't end up with all blu ray discs in the future.

After the holidays I will buy a dvd player but I won't dare buy a blu ray player.
supernaturalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 04:42 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
LuciaDisturbed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 7,733
Why bother with Blue ray? Regular DVD players are quite cheap nowadays. Blue ray players go for like $200-300. And Blue ray DVDs go for like $30-80 a pop depending on what movie it is. Regular good old DVD players are still quite cheap while still quite popular, they can go for only $30 a pop and you can find many cheap DVDs on amazon for even under $5 with shipping included.

I refuse to bother with Blue Ray players and movies until their insane prices comes down. My $30 DVD player is quite good enough and I have many DVDs. Why bother with Blue Ray?
__________________


"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - Philosopher George Santayana.



Implanted left ear 10/11/06, activated 10/16/06 - Nucleus Freedom


My own CI experience, my views on CI and ASL and Deaf Culture and Society


DeviantArt
LuciaDisturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #28 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaDisturbed View Post
Why bother with Blue ray? Regular DVD players are quite cheap nowadays. Blue ray players go for like $200-300. And Blue ray DVDs go for like $30-80 a pop depending on what movie it is. Regular good old DVD players are still quite cheap while still quite popular, they can go for only $30 a pop and you can find many cheap DVDs on amazon for even under $5 with shipping included.

I refuse to bother with Blue Ray players and movies until their insane prices comes down. My $30 DVD player is quite good enough and I have many DVDs. Why bother with Blue Ray?
same!! my brother told me he wants blu-ray player. I said - yea.. sure.. go buy it with your own money. I ain't buying it for him or my family or myself. DVD is good enough!
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 23,865
Oh he asked you to buy him a blu ray player? lol i think xbox has blu ray? si?
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 05:05 AM   #30 (permalink)
If You Know What I Mean
 
Jiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Soprano State
Posts: 65,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
Oh he asked you to buy him a blu ray player? lol i think xbox has blu ray? si?
yup lol that silly buffoon. no idea about xbox but I know PS3 is blu-ray.
__________________
- Don't forget to buy Jiro's Special Edition Sunglasses for $19.95
Jiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.