AllDeaf.com
Mobile - Perks - Advertise - Spy - Who Quoted Me  
Go Back   AllDeaf.com > Deaf Interests > American with Disabilities Act
LIKE AllDeaf on Facebook FOLLOW AllDeaf on Twitter
View Poll Results: How Much SSI Per Month?
$600 4 30.77%
$700 2 15.38%
$800 1 7.69%
$900 0 0%
$1000 2 15.38%
$1100 1 7.69%
$1200 0 0%
$1300 0 0%
$1400 0 0%
$1500 or more 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree2Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #151 (permalink)
Registered User
 
LaurenTTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
oh yeah tell me about it. Some mothers decide not to get married right away until kids get older then they can get married if they are still with the same guys.

More issues are very disgusting nowdays. I know there's some mother who does not want to get married to their guys so they can keep ssi. Since their guys have job.
LaurenTTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
All Deaf

Beitrag Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on AllDeaf.com
   
Unread 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #152 (permalink)
Registered User
 
yagazn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Out of nowhere....
Posts: 2,965
someone talks about SSI/part-time job.

my question is why SSI and part-time job? so, SSI can let someone work part-time?
yagazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #153 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by yagazn View Post
someone talks about SSI/part-time job.

my question is why SSI and part-time job? so, SSI can let someone work part-time?
Yes. You have to report your income very diligently. For each $2 you make, they take off $1.

Suppose you had $500 in SSI payments, you made $1000 in a month, you won't get any $ next month from SSI.


SSDI is a different story, you can make up to $1000/mo as of jan 2010 without any deductions. But don't forget there is the trail period, which is any 9 months in a 5 years term where you can make any amount without worrying about your SSDI. They count the trail period months off if you make more than $500 or so.
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #154 (permalink)
Registered User
 
yagazn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Out of nowhere....
Posts: 2,965
Oh, okay Thanks PFH for the explantion.

A deaf friend of mine who had prosthetic legs lived on SSI. he/she recieved $845.00 I think not sure. If he/she get a job part time then how much with her or his 845.00?.
yagazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #155 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 24,495
Working While Disabled--How We Can Help
Frisky Feline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #156 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
This is an issue I have wondered about.
I have seen people on welfare plus social security income. Why is it that even the deaf would cheat the system?
special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:35 AM   #157 (permalink)
Registered User
 
LaurenTTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by special K View Post
This is an issue I have wondered about.
I have seen people on welfare plus social security income. Why is it that even the deaf would cheat the system?
I hate to say this - there's certain deaf people who are VERY lazy and choose to take advantage of the system.
LaurenTTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #158 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 31
No wonder.
Maybe they are the same people that give the deaf community a bad name and problems with the job market.
special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #159 (permalink)
Registered User
 
LaurenTTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by special K View Post
No wonder.
Maybe they are the same people that give the deaf community a bad name and problems with the job market.
There you go!
LaurenTTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #160 (permalink)
Registered User
 
freckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in one of many freckes ...
Posts: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisky Feline View Post
oh yeah tell me about it. Some mothers decide not to get married right away until kids get older then they can get married if they are still with the same guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenTTRD View Post
More issues are very disgusting nowdays. I know there's some mother who does not want to get married to their guys so they can keep ssi. Since their guys have job.
or like me, to see if guys can handle kids and I'm glad I didn't. marrying first before boomers makes no difference for newlys but having boomers first before marriage shows a huge difference, of their true colors too. kids are a big task to deal with each day. I mean, some guys get so abusive suddenly after they learned that their other half 'signification' is carrying a baby. I never knew that, that if you are not married, you would get SSI. I do not like or use SSI anyway.

and I have to agree with Lauren, I know MANY deaf people are taking advantage of welfare - it's not going to help them learn and find jobs! arrrgh. one of my pet peeves. I imagine myself receiving SSI, I will be more lazy knowing money falls from tree on the first day of each month. I WISH SSI aren't for deaf people.... unless they are truly, sorry, 'disabled'.
freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:21 PM   #161 (permalink)
Registered User
 
freckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: in one of many freckes ...
Posts: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by special K View Post
No wonder.
Maybe they are the same people that give the deaf community a bad name and problems with the job market.
and not just that, deaf people with SSI makes themselves look bad because most of the percent of deaf people I know are on drugs HAVE SSI.
freckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #162 (permalink)
Registered User
 
LaurenTTRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles View Post
and not just that, deaf people with SSI makes themselves look bad because most of the percent of deaf people I know are on drugs HAVE SSI.
*head nods* I know certain people who alway says.. they can't wait for their ssi to arrive so they can buy 1 oz of marijuana...*
LaurenTTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #163 (permalink)
Dream Weaver
 
TXgolfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Everywhere
Posts: 19,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenTTRD View Post
I hate to say this - there's certain deaf people who are VERY lazy and choose to take advantage of the system.
Amen!
__________________
He who answers before listening-that is his folly and his shame..
TXgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #164 (permalink)
Emotional Mess
 
KristinaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Land of the backstroke
Posts: 14,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenTTRD View Post
I hate to say this - there's certain deaf people who are VERY lazy and choose to take advantage of the system.
I'm glad I'm not in that category. I do get SSI and it was determined by my hearing loss and total deafness, but I have other issues which keep me from working. I worked from ages 15 to 44. Have not been able to find something that each little issue of mine will let me do, therefore I am on SSI. But, I am not on any other help. I get my Medicare next month, but that's it.
KristinaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #165 (permalink)
Registered User
 
crossout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 51
SSI-welfare SSD- you worked for it!
crossout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #166 (permalink)
Registered User
 
sheila022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,538
Send a message via AIM to sheila022
or has anyone ever thought that SSI can help college students to survive for the semester and pay for their college tuition/fees, or possibly rental? That's how my Caltech boyfriend does that. He earns income by becoming a teacher of a class and a student waiter, and he used that $$ to pay off to Caltech each term. But with the SSI $$ he gets, he can pay off on his interest only loan monthly (or something like that) without having to work extra jobs.
__________________


sheila022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #167 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,542
I've heard of it being done like that, and even people who are married where one is on SSI (or SSDI ) while the other is working.
deafgal001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #168 (permalink)
Registered User
 
web730's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,271
I don't think those people with SSI earning more than $700 per month. I know some people who draws SSI usually are below $700. I never heard of any SSI receipts (excluding Californians) earning $900 or even more.

That's for those with SSDI (SS Disability) but not SSI (SS Income), right?

I think the OP's poll question was error using SSI yet he or she should have used SSDI instead, probably.
__________________
web730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #169 (permalink)
Farting Snowflakes
 
Dixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 13,392
I thought the usual amount was around $900 USD. And you have to report any income you have received, even if it is an extra $20.

I know of one guy who was on disability, and he played a lottery ticket. He won $500. His monthly payment was $700. At first he thought alright, he had extra money he was going to get caught up on some things. Well being the honest person he was he reported this extra income not thinking it was not enough to affect his income. He received a letter in the mail two weeks later stating that there was an over payment and that he would be receiving only $200 the following month and his case would be under review until further notice. The next month his property taxes were due, he had to pay $180. Out of all that 'extra money' he got to keep only $20. He said he had the pleasure of winning some money from the state lottery and also had the pleasure of having to give it right back. He's not played any lottery tickets since as he's learned his lesson.
__________________
The world is measured in peasants; smaller than a unicorn but, bigger than a tidbit!
Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #170 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 9,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
I thought the usual amount was around $900 USD. And you have to report any income you have received, even if it is an extra $20.

I know of one guy who was on disability, and he played a lottery ticket. He won $500. His monthly payment was $700. At first he thought alright, he had extra money he was going to get caught up on some things. Well being the honest person he was he reported this extra income not thinking it was not enough to affect his income. He received a letter in the mail two weeks later stating that there was an over payment and that he would be receiving only $200 the following month and his case would be under review until further notice. The next month his property taxes were due, he had to pay $180. Out of all that 'extra money' he got to keep only $20. He said he had the pleasure of winning some money from the state lottery and also had the pleasure of having to give it right back. He's not played any lottery tickets since as he's learned his lesson.
Theres more to the lottery story than you think.... And it also depends on what he was collecting, SSI or SSDI..
posts from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #171 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,081
I'm wondering what would happen if you hit the jackpot on a one-armed bandit at the casino. I know you would pay taxes from it, unlike at table games. Would Social Security find out about it?
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #172 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
I'm wondering what would happen if you hit the jackpot on a one-armed bandit at the casino. I know you would pay taxes from it, unlike at table games. Would Social Security find out about it?
Sure, SS'd find out about it; I think you answered your own question. The winner would have about 25% taken off the top for taxes....so the winner'd hafta report the winnings.
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #173 (permalink)
Registered User
 
deafironchef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Texas Austin
Posts: 478
Send a message via AIM to deafironchef Send a message via MSN to deafironchef Send a message via Yahoo to deafironchef
i total disagree

i am part time college soon will be full time in 2011 fall

dars ( DVR ) WOULD NOT let me have job at all so i seek aid to meet my need


i am not lazy about it i am try get deggre and i would be come chef in nexx three year as culialry art for aa dergge then take pantry class for pantry cerf so that way i can cut offmy ssi and depend my incoming bussniess
deafironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #174 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tousi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 16,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafironchef View Post
i total disagree

i am part time college soon will be full time in 2011 fall

dars ( DVR ) WOULD NOT let me have job at all so i seek aid to meet my need


i am not lazy about it i am try get deggre and i would be come chef in nexx three year as culialry art for aa dergge then take pantry class for pantry cerf so that way i can cut offmy ssi and depend my incoming bussniess
What are you disagreeing about? This topic is about how much people get per month, etc.....
Tousi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #175 (permalink)
Registered User
 
deafbajagal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,171
If my cancer returns, I'd probably have to do chemo this time around, which means I'd probably have to think about SSDI. I have NO clue on how to go about looking into this, other than the obvious - go and ask at the SS office.
deafbajagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #176 (permalink)
ExR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 210
I'm not from the USA. Can someone explain what the SSI is? What is the criteria in order for Americans to be eligible for it?
ExR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #177 (permalink)
Registered User
 
zerodog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oh Thanks Heaven!
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafbajagal View Post
If my cancer returns, I'd probably have to do chemo this time around, which means I'd probably have to think about SSDI. I have NO clue on how to go about looking into this, other than the obvious - go and ask at the SS office.
my understanding that SSDI that something prevent you from being work but cancer that something can do with term of disability insurance as 'long term' until they let you go as you are quality for disability to get SSDI.

I do not know 'how long' can apply and process at same time while use insurance 'expired' if your cancer isn't recovery. I don't expect that resolve instant but benefit with SSDI.

My understand several friend who claim have medicare and inform that some state doesn't cover one of friend mine that has cancer and learn that some state doesn't while that state where friend live coved by medicare.

just want share ya
__________________
Life is giving to us, we earn it by giving it. Let the dead have the immortality of fame, but the living the immortality of love - mean next child earn the life from me, because I love my child that mean lot to me will give to next little person earn the immortality of love from families.
zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #178 (permalink)
Registered User
 
radioman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In the good ole USA !
Posts: 2,831
zerodog has right track of mind- need long term disability or LTD for short. You need to check with your work benefits and see your LTD will cover you if you go into chemo. problem is some companies will only cover 60- 80 % of your normal pay. You will need to pay taxes on it which really hurts. What about short term disabilty ? If you dont have it yet, chances are since its not dec 31 yet, you have time to change your benefits now in antipication of possible cancer. same with flex benefits.

2 years ago, there was a 9 month delay on approving/reviewing benefits and I have no idea how long it is now.

I hope cancer doesnt come back for you.good luck.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:06 AM   #179 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 14
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to leave a post anyways. I am HoH but wear hearing aids that do help, but not still not the same as normal people. I am also afflicted with Retenitis Pigmentosa, a rare genetic defect that affects the eyes. I have met the medical requirements for SSDI but am awaiting for approval for the non-medical rules. I am also on medi-cal as well. I am really needing the disability. my hearing and vision loss combination is really affecting me. it sucks when I don't see or hear someone because of them and then they get all mad at me for not seeing or hearing them. I really hope that I am able to get SSDI as I have no other source of income at all as I am not able to work at all.
jedimunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #180 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Steinhauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,739
Blog Entries: 2
I knew someone that was getting full SSI and got laid off with a severance package. That person also got a 6 figure inheritance and did not report it. Kept it in mommy's bank account (mommy helped cover this up) That person also got VR to fund their education, while receiving SSI, and severance package.

Disgusting.

I do not receive SSI, I work. I will clean toilets before I ever reach out for SSI.
Steinhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Join AllDeaf on Facebook!    Follow us on Twitter!

AllDeaf proudly supports St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Copyright © 2002-2014, AllDeaf.com. All Rights Reserved.