How do you feel about zoos?

• I think they are a good thing / educational

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • I do not like them / exploitive

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • I have mixed feelings

Votes: 17 47.2%

• Total voters
Oh that biggest zoo that you mentioned... hmm, that would be alright. I guess.

I visited a zoo in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I didn't like it at all. The old zoo was in Springfield, Mass., and they transferred an elephant in Ohio. The same elephant that I visited there had no grass for her. She died in four years later because she was not happy with her new home, separated another elephant in a different place, and even no grasses anywhere on the cement in/outdoor floor at all plus her leg was chained. Whoa! That was too much stress for her like that. Please think about that situation. The old zoo in Springfield, Mass was a lot worst due poor sized cages for all wild animals. I'm so grateful that that zoo was shut down because the zoo owner, an old man, was finally dead and hopefully his body landed on the evil's home for good.

Oh, they have a place like that in Washington called Northwest Trek. I wouldn't even call it a zoo. It's got a lot of exhibits and a tour bus you can take rides on. I haven't been there for years, but it's nice. :cool2:

Northwest Trek Wildlife Park

Yeah, that looks very similar. I wouldn't call it a zoo, exactly, either. But the one I was referring to is connected to the Columbus Zoo.

that is show you picture interesting update

improve development to building I am surprised

city hard work activitly lots of project to design house sound!

Saskatoon Zoo Society - Home

that is nice surprised impressive cool! new animal , I heard it austaria moved in Saskatoon I think so lion new animal!

Oh that biggest zoo that you mentioned... hmm, that would be alright. I guess.

I visited a zoo in Cincinnati, Ohio, and I didn't like it at all. The old zoo was in Springfield, Mass., and they transferred an elephant in Ohio. The same elephant that I visited there had no grass for her. She died in four years later because she was not happy with her new home, separated another elephant in a different place, and even no grasses anywhere on the cement in/outdoor floor at all plus her leg was chained. Whoa! That was too much stress for her like that. Please think about that situation. The old zoo in Springfield, Mass was a lot worst due poor sized cages for all wild animals. I'm so grateful that that zoo was shut down because the zoo owner, an old man, was finally dead and hopefully his body landed on the evil's home for good.

Er, what? I live in Cincinnati, and I've never seen a single animal "chained" anywhere in any manner at our zoo. The elephants and large animal (Giraffe, maybe one or two others which I don't remember) actually recently had their areas remodeled to be even larger than before, with more natural areas.

Er, what? I live in Cincinnati, and I've never seen a single animal "chained" anywhere in any manner at our zoo. The elephants and large animal (Giraffe, maybe one or two others which I don't remember) actually recently had their areas remodeled to be even larger than before, with more natural areas.

How long ago were you there? I may have a picture of the elephant. If I found it, then I would show it to you here.

I used to support Zoos until I realize the dark side so I am kinda of against zoos for some reasons. I feel zoos should have done better than crappy cages or something like that. Same for caretakers.

Been visiting Cincy Zoo for more years than I care to mention:giggle: and I have never seen anything of that nature either.

Jacksonville Zoo is awesome, one of the original forerunners in switching animals to having privacy if they wanted it and removing the concrete pits of yesteryear.

Where would we put all of these animals anyway? Natural habitat is gone or mostly gone... establish wild animals that know how to survive live in the wild areas already...

Good zoos have two goals:

1. Conservation. Most zoos are active in breeding programs for threatened animals.

2. Education/Connection for Public and Wildlife. Unfortunately, without having something staring at our face and tugging on our heart strings, it is difficult for people to place value (ie. send/allocate money, time, resources) on our animal neighbors in light of all the other needs of the world. Also, once we are out of school, there are few opportunities for educational reinforcement like those at the zoo.

Good zoos have two goals:

1. Conservation. Most zoos are active in breeding programs for threatened animals.

2. Education/Connection for Public and Wildlife. Unfortunately, without having something staring at our face and tugging on our heart strings, it is difficult for people to place value (ie. send/allocate money, time, resources) on our animal neighbors in light of all the other needs of the world. Also, once we are out of school, there are few opportunities for educational reinforcement like those at the zoo.

lol. Zoos only say they're involved in conservation to make themselves look good while they buy animals taken from the wild. Zoos are not exactly nonprofit orgs, they're in the business of making a profit off exhibiting enslaved animals.

How educational is it to look at an animal who is not behaving naturally as they would have in the wild? People look at a miserable animal in a cage or a box for a minute or two then move on.

You can get way more education from a film or a book than looking at an animal in a box who is not at all behaving normally but like a prisoner.

Psychologically, imprisonment affects their psyche as much as it would have affected yours if you were taken away from your mother at a very young age, put in a small box or small area then stared at by noisy strangers all day, your every move controlled.

Ever notice how many animals rock back and forth or make other repetitive movements? It's called stereotypy. Look it up.

some zoos allow more natural and un-restricted movement and environments and do have captive breeding programs, but overall I have real mixed feelings about zoos.

I especially disagree with the ways zoos traditionally house animals like elephants.

there are 2 types of zoo - one that is simple and local... Purely funded by donations and volunteers... Which i support.

And the other type of zoo which i don't like - something like san diego zoo. Very commercialized and entertainment-oriented type.

+1

Back