YouTube Discrimination

deafdrummer

Reaction score
YouTube should be forced to permanently have subtitles enabled, though not activated, so that the CC button is ALWAYS available for the viewer, and the uploader would have NO OPTION to disable it nor select languages. The subtitling facility should be programmed so that ALL languages are available to the viewer, although we can't at this time do anything about the quality of the speech recognition and translation aspects of the facility, both of which is continuing to build its data banks to refine those processes.

Even YouTube has automatic CC support I guess that will help us , I have a channel there and i noticed an option to toggle CC Settings which I think it needs to be disappeared otherwise deaf/hoh viewers will have hard time understanding the video if the video author disabled it which is frustrating, The biggest issue is you won’t be able to find CC with Non-English speaking channels which is rare.. wish it was available for sign language options with the help of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, I hope in the future it will happen

Last edited:
Go watch Rikki Poynter's YouTube videos and Twitter. She and YouTubers received letters from YouTube's plan to remove Community Captions feature last April. YouTube publicly discussed whether or not the feature should be removed on LIVE. Those comments on YouTube LIVE opposed YouTube's plan. In July, YouTube officially announced the feature will be removed which was a couple of months ago- Sept. YouTubers insisted the feature be removed because they pointed out viewers added abusive comments to video. YouTube already have acknowledged complaints. YouTube had another reason to remove the feature is low usage.

She actually had a meeting with YouTube. She spent over an hour trying to convince YouTube to not get rid of it. She already realized that CC is not perfect and not always accurate. She also urged YouTube to find possible solutions to fix the feature, but YouTube is not interested in finding possible solutions except removing the feature.

YouTube is ending its community captions feature and deaf creators aren’t happy about it - The Verge

Maybe. YouTubers still use their own captions and third party tools and services. The most popular editor software is Amara.

They can do that. If such a video is seen, then the deaf person can choose to not turn on the CC and read that instead, but the point is that CC MUST be enabled for ALL videos all over the world, no exceptions. This way, you ALWAYS see the CC button enabled, and you choose to turn it on.

All you have to do is keep sending letters to YouTube. YouTube and Google might change their minds.

Back