Your opinion on speech?

HOH2000

Reaction score
What is your opinion on deaf/HOH doing speech therapy and speaking verbally instead of signing? Even if the child didn't get to pick voice or asl, the parents wanted to raise him or her as "hearing"?

I ask that because I am HOH and I've been through speech therapy ever since three years old. I am just beginning to learn asl.

Does any of this affect your view on deaf culture? Just curious. :hmm:

What? Every deaf child should get the chance to do both. If you can manage it, speech comes in very handy in the outside world.

If you can't pick up speech, it doesn't hurt anything to have tried.

I went to speech therapy as a child. I learned how to read lips and wing it. 8 years ago I learned asl and it has changed everything. So I can see how learning speech was helpful but until 8 years ago I thought I was a hearing child that couldn't hear. I personally wished I skipped speech therapy and went to the deaf school instead of public school

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Might not be a popular opinion, but as an oral hoh person -- if I had a hoh child - I would personally encourage speech to a limit. My parents encouraged speech before ASL. Everyone is going to be in different situations, but I am comfortable enough to use speech as my main communication method right now even if I miss a lot context at times. It wasn't easy - I can be self conscious about my speech and I'm aware the I'm miss out on some things. But I don't think I would "escape" any issues by turning to ASL. The challenges would still be there - just maybe different. I may need an interpreter, maybe people would be less likely to approach me (just speculating here, this could be false). As an oral person - my challenges relate more to if people understand me and if I understand them speaking and did I miss any information. I'm used to it and I know what information is important to pursue and what stuff to let go. I have an awesome group of friends/family who understand my situation. When I do miss out on stuff, there are ways around this - methods very similar to someone who uses ASL would use - email, text, notes, etc.

So to reiterate - I would encourage speech for deaf/hoh kids with ASL until the child had a strong preference. I'm fine if the kid chose ASL over speech, but I would always leave speech therapy as an option on the table. If the kid was deaf - I'd be way less inclined to advocate for speech therapy until the kid showed interest or random proficiency.

If the person is an adult - do whatever makes you happy. You have no obligation to follow rules or preferences of those around you or what you did in the past - use ASL if that is what you want. I just don't think ASL is the only answer for HOH folks. I'm content with how my life played out and I know that have the freedom to change that (go voice only, ASL, whatever) if I wanted.

I guess this was a long answer when all I need to say was that I agree with Bottesini.

Might not be a popular opinion, but as an oral hoh person -- if I had a hoh child - I would personally encourage speech to a limit. My parents encouraged speech before ASL. Everyone is going to be in different situations, but I am comfortable enough to use speech as my main communication method right now even if I miss a lot context at times. It wasn't easy - I can be self conscious about my speech and I'm aware the I'm miss out on some things. But I don't think I would "escape" any issues by turning to ASL. The challenges would still be there - just maybe different. I may need an interpreter, maybe people would be less likely to approach me (just speculating here, this could be false). As an oral person - my challenges relate more to if people understand me and if I understand them speaking and did I miss any information. I'm used to it and I know what information is important to pursue and what stuff to let go. I have an awesome group of friends/family who understand my situation. When I do miss out on stuff, there are ways around this - methods very similar to someone who uses ASL would use - email, text, notes, etc.

So to reiterate - I would encourage speech for deaf/hoh kids with ASL until the child had a strong preference. I'm fine if the kid chose ASL over speech, but I would always leave speech therapy as an option on the table. If the kid was deaf - I'd be way less inclined to advocate for speech therapy until the kid showed interest or random proficiency.

If the person is an adult - do whatever makes you happy. You have no obligation to follow rules or preferences of those around you or what you did in the past - use ASL if that is what you want. I just don't think ASL is the only answer for HOH folks. I'm content with how my life played out and I know that have the freedom to change that (go voice only, ASL, whatever) if I wanted.

I guess this was a long answer when all I need to say was that I agree with Bottesini.
No, that's a sane attitude to have. You're pro choice, pro full toolbox. Speech IS very valuable.... The problem comes when people think it should be the be all and end all for a dhh kid. Like a hardcore auditory verbal approach that insistutes all a dhh kid needs is speech therapy, and sitting in front of the room in a mainstream classroom with little/no Dhh specific things (not even for example oral deaf camp) There are many different pieces to the puzzle for success with dhh kids. If it was just about spoken language, being key to success then ALL hearing people would be incredibily successful. Most Deaf kids DO get a very hefty dose of speech and hearing...it's relatively rare for a kid to be voice off Deaf. Just like with any other condition.......they deserve the chance to develop a full toolbox. If this was a blind/low vision forum we'd be advocating for usage of residual vision yes, but we'd also be advocating for Braille training,(even for low vision kids) O&M, short term placement at the Blind School to work on B/LV skills, exposure to blind/low vision peers, blind camp and so on. if this was an intellectucal disabilty/developmental disabilty (including mild ones like ADD, learning disabilty etc) we'd be advocating for specialized classes, camps, exposure to peers and so on and so on.

I went to speech therapy as a child. I learned how to read lips and wing it. 8 years ago I learned asl and it has changed everything. So I can see how learning speech was helpful but until 8 years ago I thought I was a hearing child that couldn't hear. I personally wished I skipped speech therapy and went to the deaf school instead of public school

It would had been great if were able to had done both b/c there is nothing wrong having good speech and knowing ASL . I don't one person that know ASL so it would helped me now. If I had gone to a school for deaf and hoh kids ASL would had great to know but once I got home
would of had to talk .

You got do both then down to child when become adult..Many Deaf HOfH went through awful times as kids if they been allowed do both life been made better

Today, I met up with a very nice lady...I used to babysit her...:giggle:...she was a deaf child and did have speech therapy...but was mainly so quiet and studious...

She showed me her CI...and was talking too!...I was very impressed with her...she converses very well and looks happy!....So yes, speech therapy seems to work for a lot of deafies, I assume.

Give every child both. I never believed in the oral only philosophy.

Give every child both. I never believed in the oral only philosophy.

I knew a woman that is hearing and she learned ASL and when she got married she had a baby girl that was born deaf. The new mom was so happy she knew ASL . I met the girl and I was trying to sign my name to her and she was so sweet about me taking so long . The girl was around 10 yo and I was trying to my best to follow her she was so fast !
I thought it was so neat the mom already knew ASL and was able to teach it to her child right away.

It would had been great if were able to had done both b/c there is nothing wrong having good speech and knowing ASL . I don't one person that know ASL so it would helped me now. If I had gone to a school for deaf and hoh kids ASL would had great to know but once I got home
would of had to talk .
I know of dhh kids who are very verbal, and they go to a School or a program for the Deaf to be exposed to Sign, but at home they talk.
And yes, there are many many different pieces to the puzzle. There usually isn't a "one size fits all" approach...so why not give dhh kids EVERYTHING, and acknowledge they can benefit from a variety of experiances and approaches?

ban speech!, dont give the hearies an inch....
it only serves to carry on oralism, even in the bi-bi form, oralism is still oralsim....

lol!

well that would be a dream but reality have it that some oral skills can be useful....
but i, for one sometimes think deaf USES deafness as an excuse for something they dont want to take responsibility in the hearing world...other way put, Deaf culture isn't really always real deaf culture, there's misuse of it from within the deaf community. so i don't know about their 'sign-only' policy....

so yes
give them both
as pure sign cant give English....tell me if they can...i probably won't believe you....

it only serves to carry on oralism, even in the bi-bi form, oralism is still oralsim....

No way would I stop talking to my family . I once went on a verbal fast and a doctor would not treat me unless I talked to him . I was writing down things and the DR. didn't want to deal with that . This was in the 70's.

Last edited:
Still badgering my ENT doctor....."have you learned any ASL yet?"...his Assistant knows a little....

Isn't it really strange that Ear Doctors don't know any ASL? and they treat deaf and HOH!....Well...guessing too, they can afford interpretors!....And some doctors bitch about the cost....:hmm:

So the next time I do see my ENT and there is no interpetor....:giggle:...I'll start signing to him....what's good for the goose is good for the gander, I say!

:lol:

A lot of doctors think it wrong for HoH or deafies to learn asl. I was scolded once for signing at my ENT. My audie had a field day when she found out my hearing child can sign. Telling how I am affecting her future and making her dumb. I asked if she knew any other languages, when she said no I told her my two year old can talk with her hands so she should catch up. She was not my audie anymore lol

Still badgering my ENT doctor....."have you learned any ASL yet?"...his Assistant knows a little....

Isn't it really strange that Ear Doctors don't know any ASL? and they treat deaf and HOH!....Well...guessing too, they can afford interpretors!....And some doctors bitch about the cost....:hmm:

So the next time I do see my ENT and there is no interpetor....:giggle:...I'll start signing to him....what's good for the goose is good for the gander, I say!

:lol:

That's b/c most of their patient load are late deafened. Most dhh people are people who lost their hearing.

lol!

well that would be a dream but reality have it that some oral skills can be useful....
but i, for one sometimes think deaf USES deafness as an excuse for something they dont want to take responsibility in the hearing world...other way put, Deaf culture isn't really always real deaf culture, there's misuse of it from within the deaf community. so i don't know about their 'sign-only' policy....

so yes
give them both
as pure sign cant give English....tell me if they can...i probably won't believe you....
LOL exactly! Speech is useful, but it's useful to dhh as kids people in the way that spoken English skills are useful for Spanish or other minority language in America speakers.

I wish as a child I had been introduced to both worlds.. it has made things horribly complicated now. Speech therapy is helpful and it's a good feeling to know that all that hard work for me has paid off. While I fit in with those who have great hearing, I don't necessarily feel that I fit in and nor do I really feel that I could fit in the deaf world because of my lack of knowledge and skills in signing.
What is a single mom to do with a HOH child in the 70"s. I can't blame her but I wish I would of had something to make life just a tad easier.
I have yet to meet a ENT, Audiologist, or Speech Therapist that can sign..

There's an audi in my area I'm thinking of going to, or at least meeting...whose bio. info. variously includes the fact that she was introduced to the Deaf community through her grandparents <and yes, Deaf is capitalized in the text>. She doesn't do anything with CAPD though but still seems like someone to check out-

Wow! I didn't expect there'd be a lot of answers to this thread! :D

I agree that DHH should be exposed to speech AND sign. Both are useful and important in my opinion. I do wish my parents encouraged asl along with speech. but you can't have everything you want. I do appreciate speech therapy but sometimes it can be a pain. I have speech once a week at a hearing services center and twice a week at school. Three hours a week of reading books out loud, repeating words and sentences, practicing s and z and x and th sounds, trying to lay off extra syllables at the end of my words (for example, I'd pronounce dinner as dinner-ah), etc. I also have to practice my listening skills (watching videos without closed captioning and having a conversation with a person nine feet away in noise). Really tiring!

If I had a deaf or HOH child, I'd teach him or her asl, and encourage speech therapy, but he or she doesn't want to, I'd back off and agree. There's nothing wrong with not speaking verbally or speaking verbally along with knowing and using ASL. At my public school, there are 5 asl-speaking students I sign to, and at home, I speak verbally to my family (I consider signing as talking) and sometimes I'd sign to them without even realizing it. :P

By the way, my audiologist and speech therapist are fluent in asl.

Back