Your National food of your home country

I'm trying to think what would be the best for Canada out of the choices of:
-bacon
-pulled pork
-chicken wings
-poutine
-perogies

For Toronto itself, the longstanding peameal bacon on a kaiser roll might be a contender, and there's also a large number of breweries... but there seem to be trends. Pulled pork has had its day.

Lets see....since everyone got America covered, I will share things I had from Holland my family's motherland. There are lots of good dairies and custom cheeses everywhere. Fries with mussels and cheese, and also fries like poutine served in France. Also had rookwurst that is often served among mixed greens in Amsterdam. Of course there also are lots of heavy beers that did taste good.

Binghamton, New York, where I live is famous for spiedies.

55744.jpg

5 pounds chicken, cubed
2 cups olive oil
1 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon garlic salt
3 tablespoons crushed dried mint
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
12 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes

Directions

Place the cubed chicken into a large resealable plastic bag or container, add the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, garlic, garlic salt, oregano, garlic salt, mint, basil, and black pepper. Seal the container and shake until combined. Refrigerate for 1 to 3 days, shaking the container to turn the meat every 6 to 8 hours.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. When you are ready to cook, remove meat from the marinade and place on skewers.
Place the skewers on the preheated grill and cook, turning every three minutes until cooked through and the internal temperature of the meat reaches 170 degrees F (75 degrees C). Be careful not to overcook or the meat will be very dry. Serve the grilled meat on Italian bread or hot dog rolls.

Some typical American food is:

• Tacos
  • Pizza
  • Chow mein

whatdidyousay, there's a brand of Polish kefir that is sold in the US that tastes just like the yogurt you're talking about. Lithuanians call it soured milk and we normally eat it with salty potatoes. I prefer the potatoes fried, but it doesn't really matter as long as the potatoes have some fat on them. We used to make it ourselves until they started pasteurizing milk more strongly, then we couldn't make it with store bought milk anymore. You can buy raw milk and make it yourself, if you look up directions for uh, clabbered milk I think it is.

whatdidyousay, there's a brand of Polish kefir that is sold in the US that tastes just like the yogurt you're talking about. Lithuanians call it soured milk and we normally eat it with salty potatoes. I prefer the potatoes fried, but it doesn't really matter as long as the potatoes have some fat on them. We used to make it ourselves until they started pasteurizing milk more strongly, then we couldn't make it with store bought milk anymore. You can buy raw milk and make it yourself, if you look up directions for uh, clabbered milk I think it is.

The yogurt we had was spelled difference I think. It was in red letters , we had a food store that carried dairy product from Europe but they did not have any of that yogurt , the owner knew what I was talking about but he did not know where to buy it. I can buy kefir , it has to been plain with no sugar . My store carry it but it not the kind you're talking about.

Binghamton, New York, where I live is famous for spiedies.

55744.jpg

5 pounds chicken, cubed
2 cups olive oil
1 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons salt
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon garlic salt
3 tablespoons crushed dried mint
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
12 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes

Directions

Place the cubed chicken into a large resealable plastic bag or container, add the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, garlic, garlic salt, oregano, garlic salt, mint, basil, and black pepper. Seal the container and shake until combined. Refrigerate for 1 to 3 days, shaking the container to turn the meat every 6 to 8 hours.
Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. When you are ready to cook, remove meat from the marinade and place on skewers.
Place the skewers on the preheated grill and cook, turning every three minutes until cooked through and the internal temperature of the meat reaches 170 degrees F (75 degrees C). Be careful not to overcook or the meat will be very dry. Serve the grilled meat on Italian bread or hot dog rolls.

That sound very yummy, I love garlic !

The yogurt we had was spelled difference I think. It was in red letters , we had a food store that carried dairy product from Europe but they did not have any of that yogurt , the owner knew what I was talking about but he did not know where to buy it. I can buy kefir , it has to been plain with no sugar . My store carry it but it not the kind you're talking about.

It is sold in the Eastern European delis in Chicago, the tubs of the stuff. I have to make do here with getting the Polish kefir at a deli that has mostly Russian stuff. The owner knew what I was talking about and told me to try this stuff. The texture isn't quite the same, but the flavor is the same, and that's as good as I'm going to get around here.

I am Mexican born in the USA. I love Mexican food! Homemade / authentic not taco bell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets see....since everyone got America covered, I will share things I had from Holland my family's motherland. There are lots of good dairies and custom cheeses everywhere. Fries with mussels and cheese, and also fries like poutine served in France. Also had rookwurst that is often served among mixed greens in Amsterdam. Of course there also are lots of heavy beers that did taste good.

ok , good do some homework pick out and and share the pics!! and details too
looooking forward to that Doug...

I am Mexican born in the USA. I love Mexican food! Homemade / authentic not taco bell.

do you have pics of authetic tacos vs factory made bullshit? that's be interesting...also of you in the yo tube making it ?:hmm:

I had someone cook me Mexican food and it was a hell of a lot better the taco bell crap.

I was listing foods that many people think are Mexican, Chinese, or Italian. I believe they all are originated here.

Reread your post , you posted this; You said
Some typical American food is:

Tacos
Pizza
Chow mein

So I said apple pie ,is a typical American food.

For american food I think any fast food, Hot dog, hamburgers, cold pasta salads are also overall classics. Mac and cheese too. We might take peanut butter for granted, but I find its not as common else where.
For my southern heart I must mention Chicken & (rolled) Dumplings as well as Biscuits and sausage gravy.

But in interest of seeing something else represented: I LOVE Indian food. I cant really find reference to my favorite online, so it might not be authentic. But its Kadi with potato dumplings. True comfort food. Kadi is like a curry-tangy-buttermilk sauce. The potato dumpling is alot like a small well cooked potato that's slightly crispy (but soaked in sauce) on the out side. Apparently the traditional thing its served with is a ball of fried batter with maily chickpea flour.
PAKODA-3.jpg

do you have pics of authetic tacos vs factory made bullshit? that's be interesting...also of you in the yo tube making it ?:hmm:

ru8upy7u.jpg

I don't have YouTube . Here's a pic of Authentic Mexican food

I'm half East Prussian. Konigsberger Klopse is my favorite. It looks crap, but it tastes so gut.

Back