Your Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

Ok, then you need to say "Joey said it" instead of posting as your own response.

When the odds are less than 1 person a year, compared to the hundreds of thousands who are implanted, I would say electrocution isn't an issue.

Can't wait till Grendel gets in here and reads this.

Last edited:
Hi! My 2 cents: I think the decision to get a CI is separate from the decision to pursue ASL. CIs are tools that provides access to sound and don't come programmed with language. They are not mutually exclusive, either /or situations. Many, many children with CIs also use sign language, it's just that most use spoken language as their primary language because it is easier for them to acquire in everyday life ( most don't have access to an ASL-immersive environment in which to learn, as they do for spoken languages) and the populations in which they live most often use spoken languages.

You can put the question into more parallel terms and ask if learning English or any other spoken language would make ASL obsolete. I think that's like asking if learning German would make learning French obsolete. My answer would be the same: No. Languages provides the ability to communicate with different populations. Deciding which to learn could factor in such things as which is more accessible in your day to day, and which population would you want to interact with. The more languages you acquire, the wider your reach. But choosing one language isnt a statement against another. Not knowing Japanese doesn't make me an inferior person to someone who does, nor does it mean that I dismiss Japanese culture.

My child is profoundly deaf, she's firmly entrenched in Deaf culture, is at a school for the deaf, wears CIs, and is age-appropriately fluent in both ASL and Spoken English.

On that bolded, I am very fluent in English . (Shel said so) But I can't be understood by most people if I try to speak it.'
'
So your daughter's situation is not the norm for the majority of deaf people.

I just got an app that is going to speak what I type for waitress, etc. But it would be pretty cumbersome for major interactions.

When the odds are less than 1 person a year, compared to the hundreds of thousands who are implanted, I would say electrocution isn't an issue.

Can't wait till Grendel gets in here and reads this foolishness.

I'm trying to find out if parents of implanted babies are more apt to push their children around in metal strollers outside during rainstorms than parents of unaided babies. :hmm: That might raise the odds of electrocution for CI babies.

Sadly, no one seems to have conducted (heh) such a study.

I'm trying to find out if parents of implanted babies are more likely to push their children around in metal strollers outside during rainstorms than parents of unaided babies. :hmm: That might raise the odds of electrocution for CI babies.

Sadly, no one seems to have conducted (heh) such a study.

:lol: How would you account for bias?

On that bolded, I am very fluent in English . (Shel said so) But I can't be understood by most people if I try to speak it.'
'
So your daughter's situation is not the norm for the majority of deaf people.

I just got an app that is going to speak what I type for waitress, etc. But it would be pretty cumbersome for major interactions.

Except that my daughter's fluency with written English sucks, sadly. in terms of literacy, she reads and writes like a 5 year old.

Oh, wait ...

( what's that app? )

Except that my daughter's fluency with written English sucks, sadly. in terms of literacy, she reads and writes like a 5 year old.

Oh, wait ...

( what's that app? )

Will it do any good it she can't type and spell? Sign Smith is the app. My daughter helped me test it. She found out it actually talks while it performs signs, so I think the hearing people could just listen.

There are probably others, but I just got that idea that it could be used that way.

First of all, thank you :]
-Second.
That's still wrong because These young kids doesn't get a chance to make a choice to get CI or not. Rise kid first then tell them about CI and listen to their choice. And beside it child's body, not our.

Don't forget about hearing aids too. it really sad.

My parents waited until I was a little bit older to explain to me about the CI's because they know that I learned that I was deaf since i became deaf.. And they talked to me about a CI. They weren't pushing me into getting one, they were curious about what I wanted to help me have those opportunities. I guess thats was one of my best decisions yet. Because ever since i got into the band, i got interviewed by BOA and WGI because they were amazed on how I could play and whenever i get involved, i always talk about my deaf community. Because they were the people who made me as who i am today.

It's not right for hearing people to force deaf children to get CI. I understand younger kids have more time to learn all sounds but I don't care. I think it is wrong. Even it is VERY wrong for hearing people to force their deaf children to learn ORAL only! They make me so These kind of people don't care about our deaf culture and deaf pride. I met three deaf boys from middle school, they were vitising my school. They all wore hearing aids and suck part is they don't know any ASL! I wanna smack their parents for allow that.
What if the kid has absolutly no response to hearing aids? I've got a mixed opinon on this. I DO think if a baby gets NO benifit from HA, that they should get implanted. But if it's ambigious they should wait. It really is too hard to tell how well a baby can benifit from HAs...like how many words they can understand etc. Yes, the audis affliated with CID can do it, but how can a audi from a regular Children's do it?
I agree....that sucks that a lot of kids don't know ASL.....but I do think that if Deaf Schools and camps and AG Bell pushed " Hey, look! You can learn ASL as a second language!" you'd have a ton ....and I mean a ton of kids picking it up as a second language.

Oh, and you have to ask..if hearing aids or speaking tubes didn't kill off ASL, CIs won't either. The important thing is to not make the assumption that hoh/functionally hoh kids don't "need" ASL, and give it to them as a tool.....the world is NOT a soundbooth. Plus the whole Hearing Health 101 approach is effing boring!

What if the kid has absolutly no response to hearing aids? I've got a mixed opinon on this. I DO think if a baby gets NO benifit from HA, that they should get implanted. But if it's ambigious they should wait. It really is too hard to tell how well a baby can benifit from HAs...like how many words they can understand etc. Yes, the audis affliated with CID can do it, but how can a audi from a regular Children's do it?
I agree....that sucks that a lot of kids don't know ASL.....but I do think that if Deaf Schools and camps and AG Bell pushed " Hey, look! You can learn ASL as a second language!" you'd have a ton ....and I mean a ton of kids picking it up as a second language.

Well if you wait longer, it may result "no as great" hearing, and speaking fluidity. This is how i think of it, if the baby cant hear with hearing aids, then I'd just implant them. Because eventually, 5-8 years later, as they learn about their deafness and implants, they can choose if they want to stick with an implant or not. After all, I'll be happy with whatever they want, knowing I gave the kid two choices without wasting the value first 5 years of learning enlgish...

*to many to are gonna agrue with my post, this is MY OPINION based on life

Last edited:
I wear hearing aids (severe to profound) and learned to speak. Still I don't feel I fit in the hearing world. Why would I want to replace my hearing aids with expensive CI and endangering my health when it will not change the hearing people's view on deaf people???

I see the problem is with the hearing people society. Suppose they changed their views thousands of years ago and learned sign language. We would be very much part of the society. Martha's Vineyard in 19th century proved that.

I don't like the CI in children. They need to wait until they are adult before they choose it or not. I won't be surprised if there are some kids out there who hate their parents for their decsion to implant them. The parents are really buying into the hype of CI. What is wrong with hearing aids until the kids are old enough to decide on CI???

Well if you wait longer, it may result "no as great" hearing, and speaking fluidity. This is how i think of it, if the baby cant hear with hearing aids, then I'd just implant them. Because eventually, 5-8 years later, as they learn about their deafness and implants, they can choose if they want to stick with an implant or not. After all, I'll be happy with whatever they want, knowing I gave the kid two choices without wasting the value first 5 years of learning enlgish...

*to many to are gonna agrue with my post, this is MY OPINION based on life

Tell me how can Katie Engle can choose to stick with an implant or not when she is six feet underground???

Tell me how can Katie Engle can choose to stick with an implant or not when she is six feet underground???

rare case is rare.

FDA been regulating a lot more with any type of implants.. so again, its pretty damn rare. And crap with endangering health is preventable with just getting check ups. just saying.

Back