Your Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated!

I read somewhere that they are coming out with waterproof cis. since you said yours broke, would you be interested in looking into the waterproof one?

:lol: haha, well I guess I could use these. But for now, Most kids might don't have it yet.

Let's say a couple has a child and the child ends up being deaf. Would you still be upset if they gave the kid a ci and also taught them sign language and became part of the Deaf community?

I'm not even a candidate for CI. The bone of my cochlea is eroding away. You can't put an implant in bone that's eroding away. I'm glad that I can tell hearing people "not a candidate" and be done with any discussion about CI.

I am not a candidate either, due to badly damaged auditory nerves.

Still it is interesting when students come here and are surprised that our biggest goal is not to join the hearing world. :)

Bottesini, I'm not surprised. haha

I understand that as the years go by it is easier and easier to not have to join the hearing world. I just wanted to know if you felt that cis are threatening your community.

I don’t think that Deaf people should join the hearing world, but that the two should overlap. Many hearing people just think that we need to "fix" deaf people. Except for in my ASL class, everyone is so ignorant. No one knows anything about Deaf culture, and that is a double standard brought on by ignorant people which is wrong.

Bottesini, I'm not surprised. haha

I understand that as the years go by it is easier and easier to not have to join the hearing world. I just wanted to know if you felt that cis are threatening your community.

I don’t think that Deaf people should join the hearing world, but that the two should overlap. Many hearing people just think that we need to "fix" deaf people. Except for in my ASL class, everyone is so ignorant. No one knows anything about Deaf culture, and that is a double standard brought on by ignorant people which is wrong.

I don't think they overlap well because it isn't a two way street. The hearing world expects deaf people to do all the work.

Let's say a couple has a child and the child ends up being deaf. Would you still be upset if they gave the kid a ci and also taught them sign language and became part of the Deaf community?

Depends on how old is that child and do their parent allow them to make a choice?

I don't think they overlap well because it isn't a two way street. The hearing world expects deaf people to do all the work.

I know they don’t overlap well, but I feel that they really should. There should be a differentiation between the two communities. In a perfect world we shouldn’t have a problem communicating, but sadly people don’t want to try. =/

I read somewhere that they are coming out with waterproof cis. since you said yours broke, would you be interested in looking into the waterproof one?

You do realize that implants have nothing to do with waterprood right? Its the processors that the companies make that can be waterproof

Last edited:
electricution.

Ok, that's silly. You know what the odds would be? Post your stats here in regards to that before you go any further, please.

This is a DEAF forum where many people have CIs, HAs, etc. We're not exactly clueless here.

Bowing out of this thread now. Buh-bye.

How do you feel about cochlear implants? Do you feel that they will make sign language obsolete?
Hi! My 2 cents: I think the decision to get a CI is separate from the decision to pursue ASL. CIs are tools that provides access to sound and don't come programmed with language. They are not mutually exclusive, either /or situations. Many, many children with CIs also use sign language, it's just that most use spoken language as their primary language because it is easier for them to acquire in everyday life ( most don't have access to an ASL-immersive environment in which to learn, as they do for spoken languages) and the populations in which they live most often use spoken languages.

You can put the question into more parallel terms and ask if learning English or any other spoken language would make ASL obsolete. I think that's like asking if learning German would make learning French obsolete. My answer would be the same: No. Languages provides the ability to communicate with different populations. Deciding which to learn could factor in such things as which is more accessible in your day to day, and which population would you want to interact with. The more languages you acquire, the wider your reach. But choosing one language isnt a statement against another. Not knowing Japanese doesn't make me an inferior person to someone who does, nor does it mean that I dismiss Japanese culture.

My child is profoundly deaf, she's firmly entrenched in Deaf culture, is at a school for the deaf, wears CIs, and is age-appropriately fluent in both ASL and Spoken English.

Ok, that's silly. You know what the odds would be? Post your stats here in regards to that before you go any further, please.

This is a DEAF forum where many people have CIs, HAs, etc. We're not exactly clueless here.

Bowing out of this thread now. Buh-bye.

I didn't say that. Someone else did.

It's actually true.

I understand what you trying to say here. That's way different than CI because CI is a tool that "fix" deaf people. CI actually risk deaf people, even me. I am in greater risk of getting electriced if I'm only dumb enough to swim in while wearing CI, out in rain, and during thuderstorm if I only wearing CI. Getting a child's ear pierced is different. ;)

Joey said it.

Back