Your employer let you use VRS at work?

navyman

Reaction score
I work for the Department of Navy as a federal civilian employee. Since June 2005, I've asked for VRS access at work. More than a year later, my agency finally installed an ISDN-based VTC system, but it only works with Federal VRS because only Sprint offers ISDN connectivity. It connects to FedVRS abou 67% of the time and the VTC won't let me contact others who use IP-based videophone. :pissed:

Can you share your frustrations and successes in getting VRS at your work?

Thanks,

navyman

I have VRS at work, though it's through an installed Cable internet line. I'm aware the DoD has issues with such open access being installed in gov't buildings, especially with the risk of spying and such.

Work with the Federal VRS managers. They're listed on the Sprint Relay website.

Sprint Business - Telecommunications Relay Service 800 Numbers Directory

Contact Randy Murbach or Karl Ewan for resources.

I used to work for DOD Police back in the early 1990's and I know it is a strict confinicail *SP* but You have to work with them to get it solve. That the only way I know. I have gotten help from the personnel office and they help me thru it. If I was gotta make a phone call by using tty then I would have to go to personnel office to do it not in my office. I know it was pain in the butt to drive from one building to another. But that was back then. I hope you can go to your personnel office and get the help you need.

Isdn Vtc

I work for the Department of Navy as a federal civilian employee. Since June 2005, I've asked for VRS access at work. More than a year later, my agency finally installed an ISDN-based VTC system, but it only works with Federal VRS because only Sprint offers ISDN connectivity. It connects to FedVRS abou 67% of the time and the VTC won't let me contact others who use IP-based videophone.
Wow, you are offically the only person, I have ever heard of, who uses an ISDN videophone. HOVRS used to have an ISDN system, but no one ever called them on it. If you would tell them you, and many others, would like to become one of their customers, they might bring it back up.

Good luck!

I have VRS at work, though it's through an installed Cable internet line. I'm aware the DoD has issues with such open access being installed in gov't buildings, especially with the risk of spying and such.

Thanks for your feedback. My deaf colleague and I have been working with Randy and Karl for the past year, along with GSA officials and Navy NMCI officials in an attempt to have IP-based VRS access. The best the Navy IT folks can do at this point is ISDN-based VRS, which is certainly better than nothing. Randy and Karl have been instrumental in standing up Sprint's ISDN VRS service in the last year to service Deaf feds who, because of security policies at their agencies, cannot use IP-based VRS. As far as I know, GSA does not reimburse Sprint for providing this. If true, I am very grateful, but hope that the new Federal Relay Service contract will ensure continued VRS access by whatever means possible.

I used to work for DOD Police back in the early 1990's and I know it is a strict confinicail *SP* but You have to work with them to get it solve. That the only way I know. I have gotten help from the personnel office and they help me thru it. If I was gotta make a phone call by using tty then I would have to go to personnel office to do it not in my office. I know it was pain in the butt to drive from one building to another. But that was back then. I hope you can go to your personnel office and get the help you need.

In Nov 2005, I filed an EEO complaint about the lack of VRS access in the workplace. It wasn't until August 2006 that the Navy got around to providing 1-way ISDN VRS access (could only call out, not receive calls). 2 months later, Sprint established 2-way ISDN VRS calling capability, so it's gotten closer, but not close enough to the flexibility and reliability of IP-based VRS that we all are familiar with at home (or at work if you are amongst the lucky ones not affected by an arcane security policy). I am continuing to pursuse IP-based VRS via legal channels and hope to prevail not only for myself, but on behalf of all deafies who want VRS at work, but have been denied because people in IT and in senior leadership are not willing to investigate alternative means of securing IP-based VRS (i.e., via VPN, DMZ, static IP addressing, gateways, etc).

Wow, you are offically the only person, I have ever heard of, who uses an ISDN videophone. HOVRS used to have an ISDN system, but no one ever called them on it. If you would tell them you, and many others, would like to become one of their customers, they might bring it back up.

Good luck!

Thanks, my attorney and I can use all the luck available. I really don't have a clue as to how many Deaf feds use the ISDN service via FedVRS, but, my deaf colleague told me he is aware of at least 12 in the DC metro area who use it. Because ISDN-based VRS requires the use of quite expensive ISDN-capable videoteleconferencing equipment, it's not a surprise that HOVRS did not receive calls. My agency provided me a Polycom VSX 3000 with both IP and ISDN BRI capabilities. It costs about $5000, certainly quite a bit more than the "free" D-link videophones that the Dept of Defense CAP office (they provide "free" tech accommodations for Deaf feds...do you know Paul Singleton?) gives out. At first, my agency tried to get DoD CAP to pay for the Polycom, but DoD CAP balked, so my agency was forced to find funds to buy me the unit. Several other deafies at my location have also requested the same expensive VTCs, but, to date, only two of us (the biggest whiners of the whole lot :pissed: ) got them. My wife, who also works at my location, is supposedly on the verge of getting hers since the agency has installed the 4 BRI ISDN lines required to support it.

HOVRS would probably be hard-pressed from a business case standpoint to re-establish ISDN capability for what is likely a limited customer base. The dedicated nature of ISDN lines alone is so expensive and uneconomical compared to IP lines.

If you don't mind sharing, who's your generous employer?

I work for a for-profit organization, but I know of one person who is a defense contractor for Boeing who was able to get video relay installed in his workplace. That took him over a year to get simply because they were insanely paranoid about cameras and video.

I had not chance to ask my supervisor at the Department of Defense about get video phone to be installment at my division.

I am only the one who is Deaf at DoD. We had 8 Deaf employees but they are gone.

I had not chance to ask my supervisor at the Department of Defense about get video phone to be installment at my division.

I am only the one who is Deaf at DoD. We had 8 Deaf employees but they are gone.

Are you going to request VRS access at your workplace? Where is your location? If you do submit a reasonable accommodation request to your agency for a videophone/VRS access, please let me know how it works out and, if applicable, what was done to implement it.

Thanks,

navyman

I work for a for-profit organization, but I know of one person who is a defense contractor for Boeing who was able to get video relay installed in his workplace. That took him over a year to get simply because they were insanely paranoid about cameras and video.

No surprise to me at all since DoD contractors like Boeing are almost universally and contractually mandated to maintain an OPSEC-compliant workplace. Any hint of OPSEC violations can bring about unpleasant contractual remedies, none of them positive for a contractor (and neither for the DoD program office which has to do CYA politicking).

The bottom line is it's going to take some time for the US Government and private employers alike with vested security concerns to figure out how to fully transition over to an IP-based telecom system...it makes perfect business and economic sense to do so, but such approaches are fraught with unpredictable security landmines. It is my hope that the USA will successfully switch over to the IPv6 internet within the next few years and take advantage of the inherent security advantages while properly and proactively addressing its parallel security pitfalls...this will allow many telecom technologies (like VTC and VRS) to be used with full economic efficiencies.

ISDN Videophone and Paul Singleton

My agency provided me a Polycom VSX 3000 with both IP and ISDN BRI capabilities. It costs about $5000
Wow, I'm surprized they didn't provide an MM225.
certainly quite a bit more than the "free" D-link videophones that the Dept of Defense CAP office (they provide "free" tech accommodations for Deaf feds...do you know Paul Singleton?) gives out.
No, I can't say that I do know Paul Singleton.

My real question is, why do you need an IP videophone? Is it hard for you to get through, to an interpreter? Do you want to call other IP videophone users?

Wow, I'm surprized they didn't provide an MM225

I'm not sure why either. I vaguely recall seeing the MM225 while doing some research online for ISDN-enabled phone hardware. My guess is that the Navy tends to standardize their hardware. They've sole-sourced with Polycom for all of their VTC requirements, so they may have decided to use an existing Polycom agreement to provide the VSX 3000.

No, I can't say that I do know Paul Singleton.

Paul Singleton is probably the most widely known Deaf federal employee in the US Govt. His office is responsible for providing all DoD and over 64 federal civilian agencies with technology accommodations for deaf and hard of hearing federal employees. Most people I talk to know him or of him, so I was just a little surprised you didn't know him.

My real question is, why do you need an IP videophone? Is it hard for you to get through, to an interpreter? Do you want to call other IP videophone users?

I have a few reasons for wanting an IP videophone, as follows:

* Using FedVRS (which is the only VRS service that enables ISDN connectivity), I've experienced an overall 67% successful call rate average. I have no other VRS providers available to me if I can't get through to FedVRS for whatever reason. The FCC required interoperability last May between all VRS providers, but unfortunately, this doesn't apply to FedVRS as far as ISDN capabilities are concerned. Hearing people are guarranteed 99.9% dial-tone availability.

* I've received probably 5 calls through FedVRS from other hearing people since FedVRS access was made available over two months ago. One of them (my program office attorney) complained to me in an email that he tried "all day" to contact me through FedVRS without success and had requested a better phone number. It makes me wonder how many other people may have tried to contact me without success?

* I cannot contact my wife at home in case of an emergency since I have an IP-based videophone at home. Neither can I contact other Federal deaf employees who use IP videophones. This is not a limitation imposed on my hearing colleagues.

* As far as I can tell, the Polycom VSX 3000 does not permit a light signaller to be attached. I've tried using the microphone "in" feature with an RJ-11 jack adapter connected between a mic jack cable and a telephone signaller, no dice. This means if my back is turned away from the Polycom unit, there's the potential to miss phone calls.

* Lastly, IP videophones like the VP-100 and VP-200 have features that are "deaf-friendly" which are not available on the Polycom.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful!

Thanks,

navyman

No, I don´t have any special technology for deafies at work. I guess it´s too expensive for my employer because I´m only one who is deaf.

No, I don´t have any special technology for deafies at work. I guess it´s too expensive for my employer because I´m only one who is deaf.

Your location indicates Germany. Do you live and work in Germany for a German firm? The ADA and Section 508 of the Rehab Act for US Citizens both require employers to provide reasonable accommodations and cost is only an issue when the entire budget of the whole company is considered. Only in cases where an employer has less than 15 employees or is a very very small business with a very limited cash flow can they claim undue hardship for a reasonable accommodation that may be relatively expensive.

No idea what German laws say though!

Deaf-Friendly ISDN VP

I have a few reasons for wanting an IP videophone, as follows:

* Using FedVRS (which is the only VRS service that enables ISDN connectivity), I've experienced an overall 67% successful call rate average. I have no other VRS providers available to me if I can't get through to FedVRS for whatever reason. The FCC required interoperability last May between all VRS providers, but unfortunately, this doesn't apply to FedVRS as far as ISDN capabilities are concerned. Hearing people are guarranteed 99.9% dial-tone availability.
FedVRS, contracted by Sprint VRS, contracted by CSD VRS is the only VRS that has ISDN connectivity, true.
I've received probably 5 calls through FedVRS from other hearing people since FedVRS access was made available over two months ago. One of them (my program office attorney) complained to me in an email that he tried "all day" to contact me through FedVRS without success and had requested a better phone number. It makes me wonder how many other people may have tried to contact me without success?
Have you signed up for a personal VRS ext number or 1-800 number? Once you do, you can sign in to your profile at Federal Video Relay Service (Federal VRS) and input your agency and ISDN number. If the Hearing person is not able to connect, the interpreter can send you a video e-mail.
I cannot contact my wife at home in case of an emergency since I have an IP-based videophone at home. Neither can I contact other Federal deaf employees who use IP videophones. This is not a limitation imposed on my hearing colleagues.
You should really consider a 2-Line CapTel at work, if your wife wants to call you. Your wife can call you, with VRS, and you can see what the interpreter says, in English, on your CapTel display. You could also call your wife from work, with CapTel.
As far as I can tell, the Polycom VSX 3000 does not permit a light signaller to be attached. I've tried using the microphone "in" feature with an RJ-11 jack adapter connected between a mic jack cable and a telephone signaller, no dice. This means if my back is turned away from the Polycom unit, there's the potential to miss phone calls.
Does the Polycom VSX 3000 have an audio ring as well? You could have a simple unit that alerts general audio and fine-tune it to the volume and/or frequency of the ringer.
Lastly, IP videophones like the VP-100 and VP-200 have features that are "deaf-friendly" which are not available on the Polycom.
Such as? I have a VP-100 myself. I'm aware of LightRing, on the VP-200, but I can't think of anything else.

FedVRS, contracted by Sprint VRS, contracted by CSD VRS is the only VRS that has ISDN connectivity, true.

So, you're saying that CSDVRS personnel are the ones actually performing the FedVRS service as a subcontractor to Sprint?

Have you signed up for a personal VRS ext number or 1-800 number? Once you do, you can sign in to your profile at Federal Video Relay Service (Federal VRS) and input your agency and ISDN number. If the Hearing person is not able to connect, the interpreter can send you a video e-mail.

I have the 800 number for personal use, and the FedVRS extension number for work. The problem I was describing from the program attorney was that no one at FedVRS was even picking up the phone, so no message could be left.

You should really consider a 2-Line CapTel at work, if your wife wants to call you. Your wife can call you, with VRS, and you can see what the interpreter says, in English, on your CapTel display. You could also call your wife from work, with CapTel.

This is a perfect interim solution until the Feds figure out how to work with the IP-based VRS market.

Does the Polycom VSX 3000 have an audio ring as well? You could have a simple unit that alerts general audio and fine-tune it to the volume and/or frequency of the ringer.

Yes, it does, and that's definitely an option that my deaf colleague and I should look into.

Such as? I have a VP-100 myself. I'm aware of LightRing, on the VP-200, but I can't think of anything else.

If I was able to use IP-based VRS at work, I would get the VP-200, which, like you pointed out, has the lightring, automatic VCO support, light signaller support, etc. None of them are deal breakers, but when I have to make a series of calls in a short period of time, it would be nice to not have to ask the VI to do a VCO call to a certain phone number.

Appreciate your feedback on both the CapTel and VRS issues. It's not too often that I can discuss these things with someone knowledgeable enough about them.

So, you're saying that CSDVRS personnel are the ones actually performing the FedVRS service as a subcontractor to Sprint?
You didn't know that? Didn't you recognize that Sprint VRS interpreters, CSD VRS intepreters and FedVRS intepreters are all the same interpreters? I use Sprint VRS a lot, and when I call a Federal agency, like the FCC, I use FedVRS. They are the exact same interpreters! :)
I have the 800 number for personal use, and the FedVRS extension number for work. The problem I was describing from the program attorney was that no one at FedVRS was even picking up the phone, so no message could be left.
Are you sure you have the correct information in your profile? If someone calls your personal 1-800 number, an interpreter must answer within 120 seconds, for 80% of all calls.

The FCC ruled that, after January 1st 2007, all VRS must answer 80% of their calls within 120 seconds (two minutes), including abandoned calls. If you are unable to have 80% of your calls answered within 120 seconds, that is an FCC violation. This doesn't apply for FedVRS, since that is not FCC mandated, but it does apply for Sprint VRS and CSD VRS. You can use Sprint VRS and CSD VRS ISDN connectivity at work, and if you are unable to connect to an interpreter within 120 seconds, 80% of the time, you can report that as an FCC violation. More importantly, you can report that you will report the violation to CSD customer service, the Sprint Relay Account Manager for your state (if your state is serviced by Sprint Relay) and Sprint Relay Account Manager Mathew Gwynn. That will definately get them to move on the issue.
Appreciate your feedback on both the CapTel and VRS issues. It's not too often that I can discuss these things with someone knowledgeable enough about them.
Thank you! :ty: I'm glad I'm able to help.

Are you going to request VRS access at your workplace? Where is your location? If you do submit a reasonable accommodation request to your agency for a videophone/VRS access, please let me know how it works out and, if applicable, what was done to implement it.

Thanks,

navyman

Natick, Massachusetts

By the way, I just got an award length service with Federal Government for 25 years. Whoa ! I do not know if I will continue work other 5 or 10 years. :lol:

I plan to request VRS access at your workplace to my supervisor during the meeting next week. If that vrs relate to work to make the phone calls. They may approval as for my position, I do not use much make a phone calls because I used alot of emails to correspondence with other collegaues.

Last edited:
Back