Young mother to a deaf 2 year old

Cloggy, what is or isn't an "impairment" /deformity/disabilty is very much culturally defined. YOU would be completely lost at Gally for example. You would be ASL impaired. You are impaired min your thinking b/c you refuse to see things an alternative way. did you know in the 18th century when there were towns with a hig rate of deaf people dhh and hearing people were considered the SAME... Meaning not hearing and not deaf? it wasn't an impairment, it wasn't a bad thing. it just WAS.
Did you know there are people who consider small breasts an impairment/deformity? Did you know that there are people who consider lots of stuff an impairment.
it's only an impairment if it impairs your life. I ( and many other dhh people) do not consider it an impairment, bc we can function fully and completely without it. heck, that should be a superpower......

Cloggy, what is or isn't an "impairment" /deformity/disabilty is very much culturally defined. YOU would be completely lost at Gally for example. You would be ASL impaired. You are impaired min your thinking b/c you refuse to see things an alternative way. did you know in the 18th century when there were towns with a hig rate of deaf people dhh and hearing people were considered the SAME... Meaning not hearing and not deaf? it wasn't an impairment, it wasn't a bad thing. it just WAS.
Did you know there are people who consider small breasts an impairment/deformity? Did you know that there are people who consider lots of stuff an impairment.
it's only an impairment if it impairs your life. I ( and many other dhh people) do not consider it an impairment, bc we can function fully and completely without it. heck, that should be a superpower......
I would be lost when dropped in Japan. According to your definitions I would be "Japanese-impaired".. How do you come up with these self-made definitions of "impaired".
I gave you the official, global one.. What's wrong with that one.? Doesn't suit your life?..

Yeh, yeh.. Martha's Vineyard etc.. Read the deaf history.. Read Laurent's life history..

I never said it should rule your life. I never said you cannot life a full life.
I'm saying that when you have lost a sense, a limb etc., you are impaired.
If you cannot hear. Your hearing impaired... No matter how you sugar-coat it.. No matter how much you compensate with other senses..
And you can say "it's great to be deaf.." Sure... Great for you.. You're still hearing-impaired.
(And really.. you have to come up with an (terrible, noncomparable) example with "small breasts"... That's the first thing that came up in your mind.. :roll: )

Back