Young mother to a deaf 2 year old

That's pure bullshit. :roll:

This thread is nothing but to jab OP for not chose CI and to suggest ASL is a difficult route.

Yeah, don't bother to try double speak me. Sure, you don't say English is easy but you did suggest otherwise.

So, whatever.

Have you read my posts in this thread? Let me be really clear and simplify it for you even more than I already have so you don't think there's double speak:
1. ASL immersion: yes!
2. school for the deaf / deaf community: great!
3. CI is not an easier route than ASL

Think that's "pure bullshit"?

... my advice based on my family's approach: immediate ASL immersion for the whole family, a deaf school, integrating the child into the Deaf community, don't think getting a CI would be an easier route.

...we chose ASL as my daughter's primary language, immersed her in the deaf community and language and she has attended a school for the deaf where ASL is the primary language of instruction and interaction for the past 5 years and I'm telling you that a CI is not a fix and would not be easier than ASL

Why are you considering it? What is going on that it may be needed?

I'm not currently considering it. But we haven't NOT done it on principle, just hasn't been necessary. What's your advice to the OP, do you also disagree with mine?

No. She has not had speech therapy. But we may consider it, so I don't mean to imply that I'm against it.

I'm not currently considering it. But we haven't NOT done it on principle, just hasn't been necessary. What's your advice to the OP, do you also disagree with mine?

I was only asking out of your "But we may consider it" so I wondered if something had changed that made you feel like you may have to consider it, that's all.

I was only asking out of your "But we may consider it" so I wondered if something had changed that made you feel like you may have to consider it, that's all.

No, I just don't want to indicate that we are against it. If she has a need for it at some point in the future, we'll consider it then.

I understand. It s peaking MY curiousity. Does she speak a lot more than ASL.

Depends on the person she's engaging with. At school, obviously the majority of the day is voices off and the majority of people she is interacting with are deaf, so she uses ASL more than English. At home we use English a bit more than ASL, unless her CIs are off, then only ASL. During extracurricular activities, her coaches and the other kids competing/practicing know no ASL, so she uses the language they use (English, Russian, French, Mandarin, whatever the situation).

My friend is in 40s. He didnt say why or what happened about his CI that was not working that something doctor performed mistakely. He had it when he was 5.

Do you think it was a modern cochlear implant or some other device? I thought the FDA didn't allow for adults to be implanted until 1984 and didn't lower the age of implantation to include children until 1990 (with a handful of children that we think of as the pioneers, who are now in their early to mid 20s getting them earlier, in trials).

Depends on the person she's engaging with. At school, obviously the majority of the day is voices off and the majority of people she is interacting with are deaf, so she uses ASL more than English. At home we use English a bit more than ASL, unless her CIs are off, then only ASL. During extracurricular activities, her coaches and the other kids competing/practicing know no ASL, so she uses the language they use (English, Russian, French, Mandarin, whatever the situation).

Oh i see why. How about, let's give a try for her to attend speech therapy and see if she likes it then continue with it.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim that learning English is easy before :laugh2: Who said that?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1spqX4sIDo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1spqX4sIDo"]The Chaos[/ame]

This surely must be impossible to lipread..

Dearest creature in Creation,
Studying English pronunciation,
I will teach you in my verse
Sounds like corpse, corps, horse and worse.
It will keep you, Susy, busy,
Make your head with heat grow dizzy;
Tear in eye your dress you'll tear,
So shall I! Oh, hear my prayer,
Pray, console your loving poet,
Make my coat look new, dear, sew
it! Just compare heart, beard and heard,
Dies and diet, Lord and word,
Sword and sward, retain and Britain,
(Mind the latter, how it's written);
Made has not the sound of bade;
Say - said, pay - paid, laid, but plaid

Do you think it was a modern cochlear implant or some prototype? I thought the FDA didn't allow for adults to be implanted until 1984 and didn't lower the age of implantation to include children until 1990 (with a handful of children that we think of as the pioneers, who are now in their early to mid 20s now getting them earlier, in trials).

I recall that he was in the trial period. he said, that they dont have to pay for it and let the doctors took care of the bills. The bottom line is that he is ok. He is an ASL user. He had a good job that pays over 70k a year until a few years ago He had to quit due to his usher syndrome gets worse. He had to quit so he wanted to remember his two kids and spend his time with them before he may become blind or legally blind.

Oh i see why. How about, let's give a try for her to attend speech therapy and see if she likes it then continue with it.

My son attended speech therapy for many years and enjoyed it. A good speech therapist makes all the difference in the world.

Back