you plans get HDTV somedays you have give me tips for brand of HDTV?

You make sure to check HDTV 240Hz or 120HZ

What's in the hertz? Why would you want a 120hz or 240hz HDTV?

If you have been shopping around for a new HDTV recently you have probably noticed ads for LCD TV's featuring 120hz or 240hz technology. When it comes to television the "Hertz" listed is the actual refresh rate of the screen or how many times the picture is refreshed per second. The faster the number the more images the TV will display giving your eyes a smoother picture. At lower refresh rate of 60hz something called "motion blur" can occur giving your eyes a visual picture that seems just slightly blurry. Usually this is more noticable with faster motion shows like football games or car racing where the images on the screen are moving very fast and aren't very crisp. This newer faster technology significantly improves the quality of the image.

It’s still an HDTV, but you might decide it’s something better.

That would be better if you watch a lot of sports or fast action movies...

Yeah, someone told me about that. Thanks for clearing up some of us.

off subject, I heard that any machine that has 60hz and higher could cause a low profit health problem. It probably has to do with EMF that interfere our body, and it is an ideal of airwaves. I believe that it could be true. I believe that you have seen a warning label on the paper in the package - any electronic device that you bought from any stores. :|

in that case, you should stay away from this computer. :shock:

Where do you get that information?

You make sure to check HDTV 240Hz or 120HZ

What's in the hertz? Why would you want a 120hz or 240hz HDTV?

If you have been shopping around for a new HDTV recently you have probably noticed ads for LCD TV's featuring 120hz or 240hz technology. When it comes to television the "Hertz" listed is the actual refresh rate of the screen or how many times the picture is refreshed per second. The faster the number the more images the TV will display giving your eyes a smoother picture. At lower refresh rate of 60hz something called "motion blur" can occur giving your eyes a visual picture that seems just slightly blurry. Usually this is more noticable with faster motion shows like football games or car racing where the images on the screen are moving very fast and aren't very crisp. This newer faster technology significantly improves the quality of the image.

It’s still an HDTV, but you might decide it’s something better.

240Hz LCD TVs: What you need to know | Fully Equipped - CNET Reviews

Now that he's reviewed four 240Hz HDTVs and has a fifth review (the LG 47LH55) in the works, he's still not sold, but he admits the verdict isn't totally clear-cut.

Yeah, someone told me about that. Thanks for clearing up some of us.

off subject, I heard that any machine that has 60hz and higher could cause a low profit health problem. It probably has to do with EMF that interfere our body, and it is an ideal of airwaves. I believe that it could be true. I believe that you have seen a warning label on the paper in the package - any electronic device that you bought from any stores. :|

CRT with 60hz is very bad for your eyes but LCD never happen. I always changed from 60HZ to 120HZ at mostly customer's computer CRT in old time for more clear and good for eyes. Right now all LCDs with 60HZ are FAR SAFE than CRTs with 120HZ.

Right now some LCDs are up to 75hz or 85hz for computer.

So no point to warning label for LCD.

I have a samsung HDTV and I get closed captioning. I could get CC on that TV but mind you I had cable service too. I switched from Cable Company to Verizon Fios the Telephone Company and now I can't use the CC from the remote to the Samsung TV but I get CC1 from the remote settings to the fios service. I think what ever type of HDTV you get you want to make sure you get CC accessibility with your Cable or Phone Company to match the TV.

BTW I thought all HDTV's were CC accessible?

Last edited:
CRT with 60hz is very bad for your eyes but LCD never happen. I always changed from 60HZ to 120HZ at mostly customer's computer CRT in old time for more clear and good for eyes. Right now all LCDs with 60HZ are FAR SAFE than CRTs with 120HZ.

Right now some LCDs are up to 75hz or 85hz for computer.

So no point to warning label for LCD.

hmm. Does it means that 120hz itself increases the airwave? (It has nothing to do with the wireless - but, that's another issue.)

Actually, I am not sure if I'm correct: the higher number of lines on a HDTV that makes your eyes conformable. A regular TV has 528 lines. A HDTV has 720 lines, and another one a big HDTV has 1080 lines. I assume that both 720 and 1080 have best quality for your eyes. Except, it depends on the brightness.

I hope that all LED with HTV LCDs has no mercury in them by now.

hmm. Does it means that 120hz itself increases the airwave? (It has nothing to do with the wireless - but, that's another issue.)

Actually, I am not sure if I'm correct: the higher number of lines on a HDTV that makes your eyes conformable. A regular TV has 528 lines. A HDTV has 720 lines, and another one a big HDTV has 1080 lines. I assume that both 720 and 1080 have best quality for your eyes. Except, it depends on the brightness.

I hope that all LED with HTV LCDs has no mercury in them by now.

It don't mean the airwave. Don't confused between the radio and the LCD.

The vertical refresh rate refers to the number of repetitions per second; it is same mean as Hertz (Hz).

HDTV and CC

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a HDTV this Christmas and possibly a Blu-ray player. I am concerned about making the right purchase because of the lack of clarity with closed captioning and HDTVs. I am aware that because HDTVs use HDMI cables, the closed captioning is not available. Instead, the captioning for the set-top box (Comcast, FiOS, etc) needs to be turned on. However, I am a big movie buff and watch quite a few DVDs that only have closed captioning. (I do this with a DVD player connected to a regular TV.) My friend says that I can use component cables to connect the DVD player to the HDTV to show CC, but what if I buy a Blu-ray player to play my DVDs and my Blu-ray discs? What setup would work for me to be able to watch on my HDTV CC for cable channels, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs?

Thanks,

Erik

Erik, I think that you might want to postpone your plan to buy the HDTV because you are in college now. It's easy for someone to steal it in your room.

Haha, I'm not in college anymore. Just my first time posting at AllDeaf.com in a long time. I'm a consultant now, so theft by immature peers isn't possible (or as likely anymore).

Haha, I'm not in college anymore. Just my first time posting at AllDeaf.com in a long time. I'm a consultant now, so theft by immature peers isn't possible (or as likely anymore).

ah, you got the right time to buy one.

Actually, we were talking about buying a HDTV LED in a couple of months maybe in February. It depends what size that suitable for your room. Here are some links from Google before you buy one.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000021501]What Size HDTV is Right for My Room?[/ame]

Size up your screen - Ultimate HDTV buying guide - HDTV World - CNET.com

They did not talk about closed captions for the view in the room. For the Blue Ray, you might want to read on the customer report magazine from the library. I hope that many companies will sell the blu ray recorders instead of the player next year.

I personally think that Samsung, LG, and Vizio might be good ones.

I personally think that Samsung, LG, and Vizio might be good ones.

What I think Samsung's LCD is not great. I had Samsung LCD HDTV. We dislike it then return for exchange different brand. Other time, I bought Samsung then I dislike it. My mom wanted this one. We gave her my Samsung LCD.

I will not push anyone to pick brand name. They have good brand name like Samsung, Pioneer, Philips, Sony, Panasonic, Vizio, Toshiba, other model. Sometime, I do not trust brand name like Sanyo, RCA, Apex, HP, Magnavox, odd brand name at Wal-Mart, Target and other store)

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a HDTV

We have no idea what you look for size of HDTV. You need to understand that Standard TV's size is not same size as HDTV. For example: you have standard TV size is 27". You want to have 26" HDTV then you will think this 26" HDTV act like 20" or 22" Standard TV.

32" HDTV is almost same size as 25" or 27" standard TV. Nice to have 32" or little larger size better than 26" HDTV. My mom has Sansung 26" LCD. My personal, I do not like less than 32" HDTV.

Also, you need to understand about Plasma, LCD, LED and DLP. They have some positive and neg. You will read review at internet, consumer reports.
My personal, I like Plasma because rich black level and color but not save energy. LCD is not great in black level.
Sometime, too dark to see movie like "Underworld, King Kong at night time, Harry Potter, Aliens, Cloverfield, other movies which show too dark on LCD HDTV.

Please re-read some people posted Plasma vs LCD.

what if I buy a Blu-ray player to play my DVDs and my Blu-ray discs? What setup would work for me to be able to watch on my HDTV CC for cable channels, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs?

Also, you need to understand about Blu-Ray Player.

http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...e-tell-blu-ray-support-closed-caption-cc.html
Banjo's World: HDTV Captioning: What You Should Know

I still refuse to buy Blu-RAY Players. I did try 10 different movies at stores for 3 years. Not see any special CC "SDH". I still wonder that they do not have many movies with SHD????

Some people has no problem with Blu-Ray player/movies/SHD.

I am aware that because HDTVs use HDMI cables, the closed captioning is not available. Instead, the captioning for the set-top box (Comcast, FiOS, etc) needs to be turned on.

Thanks,

Erik

Long time, we used to have HDTV with Antenna. Some TV Stations gave us weak signal. Lost pictures. My bitch wife complain about Antenna. We got FIOS.

We have FIOS for 2 years under agree contract. FIOS offers HDTV BOX which came from Motorola. Motorola HDTV box/DVR is very suck!!! Won't let us option color font, size font, style font, etc.... I complain to Verizon about HDTV box. They do nothing for long time. You can't make transfer movie to DVD or HD from DVR. They set up lock for everything. We do not pleasure with CC because sometime too small text, fad letters, etc. I seem that most deaf people are happy with DirecTV. We have no idea how many deaf people has Dish Network with HD????

See posted at http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-sign-language-interpreter/70956-directv-hd-vs-network-dish-hd.html

Last edited:
yeah, you have to watch out what settop box (or the company that provide you the set top box) and DVD players to buy if you plan using High definition and closed captioning. It doesn't matter if you are going on using HDMI slot or High-Definition cable wires (I don't used the HDMI slot at all, I used the cable wiring for High Definition channels because there is something wrong with my HDMI slot). If you are going to use closed captioning, the high definition will take the responsibility off of your TV and put the responsibility to whatever is providing you High Definition.

What I think Samsung's LCD is not great. I had Samsung LCD HDTV. We dislike it then return for exchange different brand. Other time, I bought Samsung then I dislike it. My mom wanted this one. We gave her my Samsung LCD.

I will not push anyone to pick brand name. They have good brand name like Samsung, Pioneer, Philips, Sony, Panasonic, Vizio, Toshiba, other model. Sometime, I do not trust brand name like Sanyo, RCA, Apex, HP, Magnavox, odd brand name at Wal-Mart, Target and other store)

We have no idea what you look for size of HDTV. You need to understand that Standard TV's size is not same size as HDTV. For example: you have standard TV size is 27". You want to have 26" HDTV then you will think this 26" HDTV act like 20" or 22" Standard TV.

32" HDTV is almost same size as 25" or 27" standard TV. Nice to have 32" or little larger size better than 26" HDTV. My mom has Sansung 26" LCD. My personal, I do not like less than 32" HDTV.

Also, you need to understand about Plasma, LCD, LED and DLP. They have some positive and neg. You will read review at internet, consumer reports.
My personal, I like Plasma because rich black level and color but not save energy. LCD is not great in black level.
Sometime, too dark to see movie like "Underworld, King Kong at night time, Harry Potter, Aliens, Cloverfield, other movies which show too dark on LCD HDTV.

Please re-read some people posted Plasma vs LCD.

Also, you need to understand about Blu-Ray Player.

http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-s...e-tell-blu-ray-support-closed-caption-cc.html
Banjo's World: HDTV Captioning: What You Should Know

I still refuse to buy Blu-RAY Players. I did try 10 different movies at stores for 3 years. Not see any special CC "SDH". I still wonder that they do not have many movies with SHD????

Some people has no problem with Blu-Ray player/movies/SHD.

Long time, we used to have HDTV with Antenna. Some TV Stations gave us weak signal. Lost pictures. My bitch wife complain about Antenna. We got FIOS.

We have FIOS for 2 years under agree contract. FIOS offers HDTV BOX which came from Motorola. Motorola HDTV box/DVR is very suck!!! Won't let us option color font, size font, style font, etc.... I complain to Verizon about HDTV box. They do nothing for long time. You can't make transfer movie to DVD or HD from DVR. They set up lock for everything. We do not pleasure with CC because sometime too small text, fad letters, etc. I seem that most deaf people are happy with DirecTV. We have no idea how many deaf people has Dish Network with HD????

See posted at http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-sign-language-interpreter/70956-directv-hd-vs-network-dish-hd.html

I had dish network but not with HD. I have cable company with free HD channels but they use motorola as their set top box. I agree, their captioning is not very good. I can't even get closed captioning on "Martha Speaks" in PBS HD. I can't tell who's fault it is. Motorola or my cable company. I don't think it is PBS because I think I can get HD through antenna and it had closed captioning. Or maybe it is PBS for not coding closed captioning for settop boxes?

I had dish network but not with HD. I have cable company with free HD channels but they use motorola as their set top box. I agree, their captioning is not very good. I can't even get closed captioning on "Martha Speaks" in PBS HD. I can't tell who's fault it is. Motorola or my cable company. I don't think it is PBS because I think I can get HD through antenna and it had closed captioning. Or maybe it is PBS for not coding closed captioning for settop boxes?

I had the similar problem with a channel station. I emailed the company about my situation. Some technicians fixed the system and its radio range at the station. It worked well so far since eight months. It was my third time. knocking the wood...

im rather not get blu-ray dvd machine!! But i would get dvd machine for my new HDTV

Sara, why did you buy a HDTV if you are not planing to get a bluray player and HD channels? That's not make sense!

Back