Yoga for the hoh?

Dollfaye

Reaction score
I would like to start practicing yoga with the help of a beginner's DVD or Blu-ray. My problem is finding one that is captioned. Would anyone here know if there are any out there? When searching online, the info never tells if it is captioned, or not.

I use to take yoga classes at my gym, it isn't really something that needs to be captioned. Watch it once, learn the poses and count on your head. I hope that was helpful

If its one thing deaf can do is count. Regarding Music, Group doing one task at a time (Yoga, martial arts etc) and soemtimes disclipined group situations such as crewing a battle tank in training shoots. (They dont do that hardly anymore for a variety of reasons, however I have a taste for heavy vehicles like tanks and trucks etc and there are places around the USA you can pay a fee for instructing and go do what they teach you with it. Even steam trains and desiels. They have layers of communications that are pretty strict. Same as flying. Since 9-11 its almost impossible just to hop into a plane and go up. Not without filing a flight plan etc. first. Then getting permission to take off from Washington Center. Then following additional rules pertaining to radios out for deaf pilots. Very few. I know enough to stay out of the pilots seat. My hands are 100 tons and I need a thousand ton plane to behave. Small ones are just too light for me. Now radios, maps, GPS< DME, VOR etc etc etc etc all of that I can do.

Alot of one group one task involves counting in your head. Or in song through the body itself as if it was a giant clock. You do keep one eye on a particular hearing, the teacher, group leader or some other funcionary whose job is to keep everyone on the same sheet of music.

I don't do yoga myself but group activities I can think of many situations where it does not end well sometimes. Alot of it is talking with your classmates.

In trucking school I was one deaf, HOH with a room of 24 people and 5 mechanics plus 7 instructors and one important money staffer. ALL of them came to me on day one and asked me what am I going to do inside a 18 wheeler with them in the thing also. I told them thats up to the instructor. One in particular I phonetically call him Kinnerman its the only way he knows he specifically is being called by name from me. And his style of instructing me to drive 18 wheelers is very simple. Hardly do anything unless i am about to make a mistake.

To this day I can almost hear him talking from that right seat as God does before you go make a boo boo. Its sometimes perfect with teachers in group settings when its really important to do it right. Ive wondered how he is going along. We have lost some old truckers in recent years and I wonder. (Along with some deaf etc.)

I do very little group anything. Once in a blue moon I train with Israelis. Or perhaps instructors in a position to teach me battlefield medical trauma such as it is possible with the revelant kits before the Professional EMT can get there. And for me it is sometimes very stressful just to keep up with the hearing. Once I do learn somethign with the group its set and not a problem anymore unless a twist is thrown in. Then I have to throw out what I was taught before and write a blank page as i go along to fix the new problem that does not always have teachers or rules in life.

How about face yoga? Does someone here try it?
I practice it for a while and I love the effects it has because it is a routine that has big effects if you do it daily. It consists of up to five exercises per day, all designed by a certified Medical Doctor that combined take up to 10 minutes to perform and if you seriously start doing this then in a few days you will notice that you are already doing it automatically, without any complications. I personally started practicing face yoga out of curiosity because I saw good reviews about it and I'm glad I chose to try.

Back