Yet more food banned from being used with food stamp

Time to think about growing sustainable foods.

The article states why the foods are being banned.

Does Wisconsin Republic even know why the food stamps program was started ?? It was to help the farmer be able to sell their food. This not only hurt poor people is going to hurt the farmers too and it could have a ripple effect . I think this is criminal taking food out of children mouths !
:mad:

Wow...sure was a long list of banned foods!...I've never been on Food Stamps...and I have to shop carefully.....But I've seen many, many people on Food Stamps with their grocery carts filled up and high with expensive foods and meats....Made me wonder if I would have been "rude" to ask if I could have dinner with them....:roll:

Then again, it's the people that really need Food Stamps that are suffering because of those frauds selling them for drugs or $$....Food Stamp Fraud is alive and doing well in the South.....

And people living in apartments are not allowed to have gardens to grow their own veggies, even some Housing developments don't allow it.

What was meant to help...is actually hurting some people....

Not totally true...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/wifoodstamps.asp

While a bill was passed--

Contrary to various inaccurate headlines, however, the proposed law (if fully passed and enacted as law) would not "ban" food stamp recipients from purchasing these food items; rather, it would restrict them from spending more than one-third of their SNAP benefits on such foodstuffs. It's also unlikely the bill will be codified as law, as it would require a federal waiver that no state has ever received:

So they're not banning outright- only severely restricting how much they can spend on those items.

My question is, how the heck are they going to carry out those restrictions? Is someone going to stand at a checkout counter and inspect every item and say no,no, on this and no on that? Seems rather difficult.

Though - in relation to people buying expensive things with food stamps...I have seen hardly any of that. Mostly I've seen people using food stamps/Quest to buy produce <including at farmer's markets> staples like dairy, baby stuff, eggs....

I'm in Wi and think that's terrible! What are people supposed to eat??

It's political posturing. They know it has no chance of becoming law. But how they think it makes them look better I fail to see.

"And Wisconsin is hardly the only state trying to regulate the lives of poor people. Missouri Republicans want to ban them from purchasing steak as well as seafood. And Kansas Republicans are banning poor people from spending money at movie theaters, swimming pools, and other establishments, as well as limiting them to only withdrawing $25 a day from ATM machines. And Maryland Republicans are actually calling for punishing poor people who exercise their right to protest."

How the hell can you tell a person how they can spend their own money !! What if they more $25 to pay for their meds or child meds ? I hope people will protest like hell and they should do right in front of the GOP homes !

"And Wisconsin is hardly the only state trying to regulate the lives of poor people. Missouri Republicans want to ban them from purchasing steak as well as seafood. And Kansas Republicans are banning poor people from spending money at movie theaters, swimming pools, and other establishments, as well as limiting them to only withdrawing $25 a day from ATM machines. And Maryland Republicans are actually calling for punishing poor people who exercise their right to protest."

How the hell can you tell a person how they can spend their own money !! What if they more $25 to pay for their meds or child meds ? I hope people will protest like hell and they should do right in front of the GOP homes !

They are not telling them how to spend their money. They are telling them how to spend tax payer money. I'm not sure about the meds. I would think that is paid for under a different plan like state health.

Food stamps don't come from an insurance system.

The cost of poor food options ultimately affects everyone. The disallowed foods include things like "natural" or organic food, fish, canned peas and beans, more natural eggs <as opposed to factory farmed, which not only affects the health of the consumer but also supports Corporate Agriculture, which is non-sustainable and unhealthy>....these are all examples of healthier options for food...and what if the consumer can't drink cow's milk?
I have dairy allergies and haven't had any animal-based milk in many years.
I routinely have almond or other non-dairy milk. Again it appears to benefit Big Ag. by favoring cow's milk products.
Canned beans are also a good and inexpensive source of fiber and protein but are non-meat. Lots of hidden agenda here....

They are not telling them how to spend their money. They are telling them how to spend tax payer money. I'm not sure about the meds. I would think that is paid for under a different plan like state health.

Food stamps don't come from an insurance system.

I know it's tax payer money but once it in the person account it's their money as long as they do nothing illegal with it.

This is the most disgusting thing I heard of , there are people on food stamps that are elderly and some are wounded vet . Not all people on food stamps are able to work or even grow their own food.

I know it's tax payer money but once it in the person account it's their money as long as they do nothing illegal with it.

This is the most disgusting thing I heard of , there are people on food stamps that are elderly and some are wounded vet . Not all people on food stamps are able to work or even grow their own food.

I'm not sure it's ever in their account. As I understand it, you get a credit card that you can use. Moreover, if they make it illegal to buy certain food then it is.. Illegal.

The idea behind the law is that if you are buying lobster and prime rib you're not spending the money wisely. The same is true for alcohol.

I'm not sure it's ever in their account. As I understand it, you get a credit card that you can use. Moreover, if they make it illegal to buy certain food then it is.. Illegal.

The idea behind the law is that if you are buying lobster and prime rib you're not spending the money wisely. The same is true for alcohol.

You can't buy alcohol with food stamps , the store would be in trouble for allowing a person to do this . I just find it disgusting that government is sticking it nose into every aspect of our life , so what if someone want to
pasta every day of their life.

You can't buy alcohol with food stamps , the store would be in trouble for allowing a person to do this . I just find it disgusting that government is sticking it nose into every aspect of our life , so what if someone want to
pasta every day of their life.

Too much carbohydrate in pasta, may set you up for diabetes later in life, setting you up for heart disease, kidney problems, etc,etc., therefore more money poured out in medicare payments, and it goes on and on.

The idea of food stamps is giving people access to good nutrition, gov is working hard to do this and getting no where. You know that is your tax dollars these people are eating with, don't you want them to be at least somewhat healthy, and not eat chips and soda, feeding that to their kids?

Remember this is a handout by the gov and handouts come with some restrictions.

Food stamps haven't been around for very long in their present state. I can remember when there was no handouts at all then came the surplus butter, peanut butter, and a few other things, then it slowly turned into it present state, which is quite generous!!

Too much carbohydrate in pasta, may set you up for diabetes later in life, setting you up for heart disease, kidney problems, etc,etc., therefore more money poured out in medicare payments, and it goes on and on.

The idea of food stamps is giving people access to good nutrition, gov is working hard to do this and getting no where. You know that is your tax dollars these people are eating with, don't you want them to be at least somewhat healthy, and not eat chips and soda, feeding that to their kids?

Remember this is a handout by the gov and handouts come with some restrictions.

Food stamps haven't been around for very long in their present state. I can remember when there was no handouts at all then came the surplus butter, peanut butter, and a few other things, then it slowly turned into it present state, which is quite generous!!

I knew people that got surplus food ,powder milk, spam ,orange cheese
peanut butter and powder eggs. This was in the 60's . But I feel that list is really going overboard ! No potatoes ??? Come on now !

I knew people that got surplus food ,powder milk, spam ,orange cheese
peanut butter and powder eggs. This was in the 60's . But I feel that list is really going overboard ! No potatoes ??? Come on now !

Guessing you are on Food Stamps and Assistance?

Guessing you are on Food Stamps and Assistance?

No I said I KNEW people that were on it. I had some friends that got the surplus food and saw what kind of food they got. And I had clients on food stamps and I had to go shopping for them. My clients had to call the grocery store to let them know their health aide was buying them food . I had one client that refuse to eat anything put pasta , I tried to get him to let me buy some meat or veggies and he said "NO!" It's hard to get some people to eat better so this is why I feel banning certain food is wrong.

Back