Yet another hearing person!!!

Chewie, I don't think you are a psycho stalker. I'm in the Interp program at OSU-OKC. I was enrolled in the ASL 1, but because I have no experience in ASL, which most of the people in the class have, I felt lost and overwhelmed. It is an immersion program. I am trying to find a community college or tech that offers at a slower rate. There is a young woman in the class who is deaf and I think I may try to contact her for some tutoring. As well as go to lunch, just hanging out with someone who is deaf. She is so nice and I know she would be patient with me. I think what happens in an Interp program, you take the classes then are required to attend deaf events. I want to do it the other way around. I want to be steeped in Deaf Culture, then learn to sign. But if you are in the OKC area, OKC_OSU has the best program. The head of the department is very approachable. It may take me a while to get my certification, but I'm past the point of wanting to learn ASL because it's so beautiful and inspiration. The culture is important to me. I hope all this makes sense

Chewie, I don't think you are a psycho stalker. I'm in the Interp program at OSU-OKC. I was enrolled in the ASL 1, but because I have no experience in ASL, which most of the people in the class have, I felt lost and overwhelmed. It is an immersion program. I am trying to find a community college or tech that offers at a slower rate. There is a young woman in the class who is deaf and I think I may try to contact her for some tutoring. As well as go to lunch, just hanging out with someone who is deaf. She is so nice and I know she would be patient with me. I think what happens in an Interp program, you take the classes then are required to attend deaf events. I want to do it the other way around. I want to be steeped in Deaf Culture, then learn to sign. But if you are in the OKC area, OKC_OSU has the best program. The head of the department is very approachable. It may take me a while to get my certification, but I'm past the point of wanting to learn ASL because it's so beautiful and inspiration. The culture is important to me. I hope all this makes sense

Hey there my new friend!!!

I work by Will Rogers Airport in OKC - I would love to meet you at OSU-OKC some time and talk to you about an opportunity I might have to "visit" with a woman who is deaf - communicates in sign (about 25% of the time and fingerspells the rest), she also uses a dry erase board to communicate. She loves to teach and is very intelligent. She is one of our patients who is on hospice service.
I actually came by and spoke with Joni Bice two weeks ago about seeing if there were any students that might want to volunteer with our program - if nothing else to practice their skills...:hmm:

I am not saying you have to volunteer, but I would still love to talk to someone who is in the program...I have been trying to figure out about getting into the program myself.

My undergrad degree in in Special Ed - Speech/Language Pathology...I had intentions of going into the Au.D program at Baylor...but that did not happen - so here I am...still wondering what might have been.

You can send me an email (off of my profile) or reach me at my office
947-7700. Make sure you ask for Adam (I don't think everyone here knows me as Chewie :D)

ps - here is a link you might check out...I am planning on going one of these weeks...DeafChat Coffee

Deaf Chat Coffee: Oklahoma

I hope this has been some help and I look forward to seeing you around

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

If you want your name fixed, you can e-mail the site admin... Alex. He'll take care of it for you. :)

Welcome to AllDeaf. I think it's great that they accept Hearies, but then, most Hearies have a reason to want to be here. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!:wave:

:wave: Thanks so much for all the welcomes. I usually tend to be a bit of a lurker on forums, but everyone here is so friendly, thanks!!!!:wave:

Back