WSU: Audist college?

Wintermagnolia

Reaction score
Today i was shocked to find out my state college seemingly doesnt teach ASL. In fact, deaf students are encouraged to take classes in "aural rehabilitation" and hearing students interested in Deaf studies take courses in"teaching speech".
I'm infuriated by this. First of all, there is a large Deaf Community in Vancouver, and how the college completely ignores ASL as a language is unbelievable prejudice. Secondly, "speech" does not have to be audible! The Linguistic Relativity Concept (if studied in terms of how the lack of language effects cognitive ability) may help to explain the serious issues deaf children face when forced to "speak" instead of sign. "The language we know influences what we can think about." Denying deaf people of sign is denying language, is denying a basic human right of communication and thus cognitive ability. Once sign is introduced this barrier vaporizes and cognitive ability flourishes. The longer they wait the harder this transition generally is. It is WRONG to rob a person of communication skills- hearing or not, short, tall.. green or blue!

I suppose what i am wondering is this:
Should I peruse my academic goals elsewhere? I don't feel comfortable attaining my degree from a bigoted institution. And, if I receive my degree from a different college, how would I go about changing the practices at WSU? I feel very strongly about this and want it to change. My family suggested I receive my degree elsewhere and then return to WSU, explaining how and why this should be changed and then offer my services in establishing an ASL course series. (to hopefully replace this Audist system)

any feedback is appreciated. Thank you for your time :wave:

Talk to the department heads about it and see if they are receptive.

I agree with Glenn. Rather than changing schools, this is the perfect opportunity to advocate and educate the administration. Spread the sign and be one of those valuable individuals that make a difference.

Glenn, thank you for your feedback! It truely is sad how long it took CWU to get the proper accommodations for your education. earlier today i was talking about my frustration with my sister, and she said "that's just the way the world is." People should not be ok with that. the nonchalant attitude is exactly the problem.
also, i was told in order to major in Deaf Studies i would first need to attain a teaching BA. I'm choosing creative writing, I hope that once i start attending WSUV and once I start discussing this issue I will see some change by the time i finish my BA. Probably not, but a start is better than idly standing by isnt it? :) I do hope they are receptive.

I'm still not happy with CWU. I wouldn't recommend any deaf student consider this school given the poor attitude its administration has regarding deaf students and their accommodations.

i can't imagine you are... i certainly would not be. I am not and i'm not even attending there yet! -_- i'm still not sure if I will peruse my degrees there or not. I've opened myself to researching other options now. But i will not abandon this. This is my state and I do not take pride in the way our educational system regards the Deaf Community. Hopefully I can someday help to change it.
For now, all I can hope is there will be support with me when I try to change it, and make people aware of it. (like your blog does)

I have been researching, and today i asked my ASL instructor about this. He said he will get back to me, but if i want to go for Interpreting or Deaf Education i would HAVE to take these classes if i go to WSU. Considering this, I will probably transfer to OSU. Gallaudet has a BA/MA program in Interpreting with a program for hearing people (HUG), I'm considering applying for that once i'm ready.
Any advise, or opinions would be helpful. Thank you :)

I know its not a University and it is a long ways away from you but SCCC up in Seattle is one of the best colleges for ASL interpreters in the North West.... at least according to the interpreters I have talked to. That is where I am going to start going. I know its going to be great there.

I know its not a University and it is a long ways away from you but SCCC up in Seattle is one of the best colleges for ASL interpreters in the North West.... at least according to the interpreters I have talked to. That is where I am going to start going. I know its going to be great there.

i believe that is where my friend's Sociology interp (at least one of them) went too. I don't plan on interpreting, I want to Master in ASL and Deaf Studies so pretty much I will be able to teach ASL and Deaf history/Culture classes. My main goal is to change the school systems to include ASL and Deaf Studies to Deaf and HOH individuals. 85% of Deaf and HOH children are "mainstreamed" into the public school system and those schools have nothing set up like that. Colleges rarely accept ASL as a foreign language, and the majority dont even HAVE ASL classes. I figured the best way to fix this was to start in the schools as an employee and start advocating the creation of these programs. Hopefully someday it will be a law to offer ASL to those who want it- no matter where you reside in the US.
...That's the plan anyways! :D

They actually have a Deaf Studies program there too. That is currently what I started till I get on a higher level in ASL to start the certificate program.

They actually have a Deaf Studies program there too. That is currently what I started till I get on a higher level in ASL to start the certificate program.

They have a program they call "Deaf Studies" but the classes include things like "Teaching Speech Therapy" and whatnot. I had the list of classes but I threw it away because I decided not to attend WSU because of their orlalist approach. Also I believe their ASL classes are limited?

I'm still not happy with CWU. I wouldn't recommend any deaf student consider this school given the poor attitude its administration has regarding deaf students and their accommodations.

It's good that you have posted about the problems you have. I always am looking for schools that have better than average disability accommodations in general for students. Knowing that a deaf student has experienced problems is valuable info for me and students, and members of this forum as well.

As far as I can tell Seattle Central Community College is a great place for anything ASL weather it be students wanting to go in the field or students who are Deaf. I will look into it more once I start going.

lol no no no. I was meaning at Seattle Central Community College

oh ok

As far as I can tell Seattle Central Community College is a great place for anything ASL weather it be students wanting to go in the field or students who are Deaf. I will look into it more once I start going.

alright keep me posted! I still want to go to Gallaudet, but it's always good to know my options for sure. :ty: :)

I would love to go to Gallaudet. I know I would be happier learning there. Just impossible to pack up and leave. Kinda hard with a wife, baby, and responsibilities here.

Are you still thinking about where you are going?

Not really, I'm pretty determined to get into Gallaudet. But in the case that I can't, it's always good to have back up plans lol :)

I would love to go to Gallaudet. I know I would be happier learning there. Just impossible to pack up and leave. Kinda hard with a wife, baby, and responsibilities here.

Yeah I'm lucky that I can. I waited so long to get back into school that im surprised I don't have more obligations here. Luckily I don't, and once I set a goal for myself I'm pretty stubborn about it. Hopefully my life goal will make it easier for others to access quality education no matter where they live.

Hi,

Audist effort is very important to the success of the deaf student. I thik the deaf education program was not discussed. This is an excellent discussion and great post. Respect and treat Deaf and hearing persons equally. Deaf consumers and interpreters need to work together in order for Deaf consumers

Thanks

Back