Writing Deaf - Looking For Opinions

LadyZephyr

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this belonged in the General Chat or Our World, Our Culture forums and it seemed too specific for the Student and Interview threads but let me know if you think I need to relocate this discussion.

Although new to alldeaf and hearing, I've spent several hours reading the forums and I've quickly gotten a glimpse of the mass marginalization faced by the Deaf community. I feel like some of this marginalization could be ameliorated with more frequent and more accurate representations of Deaf individuals in media (books, games, movies, TV, etc.) but it seems like these good characters are too few and far between.

I'm wanting to write a kid's adventure story featuring a deaf adolescent or pre-teen protagonist. The main character was originally looking to 'correct' her deafness but after my reading here I've figured out that to a Deaf reader, that's at best a dull adventure (at worst, another insult) and it definitely doesn't do anything but contribute, yet again, to the marginalization this community already faces.

So with those two things in mind, I'm left with four questions for which I'm hoping to get some different opinions on (please forgive me if you find these questions rude or excessively prying, my intent is to learn not to be a jerk)...

1) Do you agree that there needs to be more positive and accurate representations of Deaf characters in the media?

2) What characteristics or challenges would you like to see in those media portrayals that would either improve public perception, or actively work to break down barriers between hearing and Deaf communities?

3) Would it be wrong for me to write this character as "normal" in every way except that she "happens" to be deaf? (I'm uncomfortable with the wording of this question but I'm not sure how to phrase it-- what I'm looking for is pointers towards subjects of additional research)

4) As I am hearing, do you personally feel like it's innappropriate for me to be writing about a deaf character, and why?

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I wasn't sure if this belonged in the General Chat or Our World, Our Culture forums and it seemed too specific for the Student and Interview threads but let me know if you think I need to relocate this discussion.

Although new to alldeaf and hearing, I've spent several hours reading the forums and I've quickly gotten a glimpse of the mass marginalization faced by the Deaf community. I feel like some of this marginalization could be ameliorated with more frequent and more accurate representations of Deaf individuals in media (books, games, movies, TV, etc.) but it seems like these good characters are too few and far between.

I'm wanting to write a kid's adventure story featuring a deaf adolescent or pre-teen protagonist. The main character was originally looking to 'correct' her deafness but after my reading here I've figured out that to a Deaf reader, that's at best a dull adventure (at worst, another insult) and it definitely doesn't do anything but contribute, yet again, to the marginalization this community already faces.

So with those two things in mind, I'm left with four questions for which I'm hoping to get some different opinions on (please forgive me if you find these questions rude or excessively prying, my intent is to learn not to be a jerk)...

1) Do you agree that there needs to be more positive and accurate representations of Deaf characters in the media?

2) What characteristics or challenges would you like to see in those media portrayals that would either improve public perception, or actively work to break down barriers between hearing and Deaf communities?

3) Would it be wrong for me to write this character as "normal" in every way except that she "happens" to be deaf? (I'm uncomfortable with the wording of this question but I'm not sure how to phrase it-- what I'm looking for is pointers towards subjects of additional research)

4) As I am hearing, do you personally feel like it's innappropriate for me to be writing about a deaf character, and why?

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
1. I do agree that we need more accurate representations of d/Deaf characters in the media.
2. I think you should show how we are discriminated. Being told that we cannot do certain things because of our deafness. How it "limits" us. People think that deafness is a disease and that it needs to be "fixed" or "cured." Others think that Braille menus, wheelchairs, and yelling at us will make things better. These are all really important.
3. For most of us, being d/Deaf and HoH is "normal," so I think that if you kinda show it like that, then you'll be ok.
4. I personally do not think its Inappropriate for you to write about a d/Deaf character. In fact, I think it's awesome! Most hearing people write about d/Deaf and HoH people with absolutely no knowledge of the d/Deaf community and end up insulting us.

The fact that you actually took the time to ask about and research the d/Deaf community shows that you care about making sure your writing is pretty much correct. Not a lot of hearing people really do that. Good luck with your story, and if you want a tiny example what to write then you can read my own fanfic. It's not completely finished, but I think it'll give you a pretty good idea. It might also help if you read to where I left off. Here is the link:https://www.quotev.com/story/7982705/Gods-Messenger

More power to you, Lady Z. I saw a need for glimpses of the deaf trying to make it in a hearing world. I wrote and published Deaf Takes a Holiday, a mystery involving people with "limiting" challenges.

I'm currently writing 'Til Deaf Us Do Part, a sequel mystery novel.

I'm late deafened (for 15 years now) after twenty years of worsening hearing, yet I'm often told I'm "not deaf enough." Ha ha ha, especially from my older sister who's been deaf from birth. We're all at different places. Good luck with your literary adventures.

1. I do agree that we need more accurate representations of d/Deaf characters in the media.
2. I think you should show how we are discriminated. Being told that we cannot do certain things because of our deafness. How it "limits" us. People think that deafness is a disease and that it needs to be "fixed" or "cured." Others think that Braille menus, wheelchairs, and yelling at us will make things better. These are all really important.
3. For most of us, being d/Deaf and HoH is "normal," so I think that if you kinda show it like that, then you'll be ok.
4. I personally do not think its Inappropriate for you to write about a d/Deaf character. In fact, I think it's awesome! Most hearing people write about d/Deaf and HoH people with absolutely no knowledge of the d/Deaf community and end up insulting us.

The fact that you actually took the time to ask about and research the d/Deaf community shows that you care about making sure your writing is pretty much correct. Not a lot of hearing people really do that. Good luck with your story, and if you want a tiny example what to write then you can read my own fanfic. It's not completely finished, but I think it'll give you a pretty good idea. It might also help if you read to where I left off. Here is the link:https://www.quotev.com/story/7982705/Gods-Messenger

a chateau in florida?

mmmm...

ive been down that way..to florida mind you...i never spent any time in those hoods...

i never knew they would be called cheateus ...
thought maybe the south would of called them something different..

ive been down that way..to florida mind you...i never spent any time in those hoods...

I honestly didn't know what else to call it. I also kinda wanted this story to be different. I was also born in Florida but then moved down to Kansas when I was 10 days old, so I wouldn't really know

The main part of Florida is in the south but isn't really part of "the South," as in culture. The Panhandle part of Florida is more "Southern."

I've lived in Florida (Pensacola and Key West), so I haven't been to the "chateau hoods" either. :lol:

Back